Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dquake 1.6.3 RELASED!!

DirectQ 1.6.3 Rleased!
    In case you don't know, MH (a very talented coder and intense Quaker), has released a "stable" build of his native directX build for Quake. This is not a wrapper dx build. This is native DirectX codework!

Go here >>> mhquake off to the right side u'll see 1.6.3 in bold yellow!
    Last edited by R00k; 07-17-2009, 10:24 AM.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Oh, just go and change the name again!
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just starts and gives me a black screen with audio...

Comment

Opps Sorry MH it was a late night post! (i didnt think they'd use it as a News item)

Comment

Originally posted by AEnoch View Post
          Just starts and gives me a black screen with audio...
          Same here.

Comment

Works for me

I dig
            Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

FitzQuake is my gold standard, but so far I really like this port. More thorough documentation about supported hardware and new command-line switches would be really great*, and there are still a couple of rough edges here and there+. But the color saturation and lighting are gorgeous, and the Direct3D implementation is sound and effective. Major kudos; I will keep an eye on this one!

* Does this work with any cards that don't support VS/PS 3.0 or higher?

+ In this case: there were a few moments when I could float just between water and its surface and see entities through world geometry (in this case, an ogre behind a door). Could theoretically be used as an exploit either in deathmatches or single player Quake. This was noticed in the Quoth Red777 map.
              Last edited by FreonTrip; 07-20-2009, 07:49 AM. Reason: Realized I was on crack - texture compression made no noticeable difference, source texture was already pretty crusty.

Comment

Originally posted by FreonTrip View Post
                FitzQuake is my gold standard, but so far I really like this port. More thorough documentation about supported hardware and new command-line switches would be really great*, and there are still a couple of rough edges here and there+. But the color saturation and lighting are gorgeous, and the Direct3D implementation is sound and effective. Major kudos; I will keep an eye on this one!

* Does this work with any cards that don't support VS/PS 3.0 or higher?

+ In this case: there were a few moments when I could float just between water and its surface and see entities through world geometry (in this case, an ogre behind a door). Could theoretically be used as an exploit either in deathmatches or single player Quake. This was noticed in the Quoth Red777 map.
                Good suggestions, and I'll deal with them in the docs for the next release. To answer your specific examples though, in the first case PS2.0 should be all that's needed, and that includes cards like the Intel 910/915 that don't even support vertex shaders in hardware. I'll be pulling back from the shader requirements over the next few versions, so hopefully after a few revs we'll be back to a stage where no shaders are needed at all.

Also, I've deliberately set things up so that almost all command-line switches are no longer necessary: -heapsize is gone totally, -width -height etc can be used but you don't need them, -game can be used but you don't need it, the 4 player cap is gone so you don't need -listen 16 anymore, and so forth.

The water bug is a GLQuake legacy, only way to really get rid of it is by re-vising your maps. I might be wrong here, and if there is a way it will be fixed.

For the black screen people - try setting a vid_mode of 0 in your config.cfg then work from there through the video menu and it should come good. I'm going to change the name of this cvar (but leave the old one there, just ineffective) in the next release as it seems to be causing all manner of grief by DirectQ picking up old values from people's configs and trying to set invalid modes at startup. I'm also going to change the default startup mode from fullscreen desktop res to 640x480 windowed so that first run will always pick up a mode that's guaranteed to work.

Comment

Ack, I meant console there. Thanks for the quick thorough response.

Comment

set vid_mode "0" in the config file and now it's a black window with audio.

Comment

Vista or XP?

Hardware - specifically 3D card, since everything else seems to work now - make and model?

Drivers - what versions? Manufacturer certified or not?

Are you overclocking?
                      Last edited by MH; 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

What are the advantages of a DirectX version of the Quake client?
                        Quaketerminus.com Quake files & links

Comment

Off the top of my head, and without really sitting down and thinking about it.

Advantages
                          • It'll run on hardware that the OpenGL version causes to choke.
                          • You can use features like vertex shaders on cards that don't support them in hardware with no perf loss.
                          • You don't need to write batches of ugly code to work around bad drivers, meaning that you get to spend more time implementing stuff in your OWN code.
                          • These days D3D is significantly EASIER to code than OpenGL, meaning more time to focus on quality of end result rather than just getting the basics done.
                          • On some hardware D3D can be quite a bit faster than OpenGL.
                          • Built-in support for the windowing system and for common image file formats.
                          • Pragmatism takes precedence over purity.

Disadvantages
                          • You lose platform portability.
                          • Some people throw their rattle out the pram over D3D.

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                            Oh, just go and change the name again!
                            are you cereal right now?

Comment

nice first-dumbass post.
                              welcome to hell we've kept your chair warm, well that and your mom.

cerebral != cereal , unless u mean surreal??
                              walk on your toes, i think your balls are draggin on the floor....
                              Last edited by R00k; 11-21-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X