No announcement yet.

The Bloody Slipgates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all fairness, let's mention that the level was done a long time ago by czg and Vondur. The keys etc. mod is by Lardarse.

It's of course BS that newbies shouldn't play this.

The main critique with this mod/level was not that it's nonlinear (it is widely agreed that the original e1m1rmx is a rather good map), but that the gameplay is based on buying keys with other keys, ie you collect keys in order to ... get keys.

It's a creative mod though, good choice of map and well executed.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

25!

The last one was right under my nose all along. This was tremendous fun, think I'm gonna record a demo (which anyone who hasn't played it yet should most definitely NOT watch...!)

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
      Is now a good time to mention that the mapper is a Real Ale man?
      Somebody buy that man a large Real Ale then!
      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
        25!

The last one was right under my nose all along. This was tremendous fun, think I'm gonna record a demo (which anyone who hasn't played it yet should most definitely NOT watch...!)
        If you do, I'd like to turn it into an AVI for YouTube.

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
        It's of course BS that newbies shouldn't play this.
        It all depends on how newbie someone is. Some of the ones that buy the game off Steam I can see having quite a bit of trouble even figuring out how to start it. And then not quite understanding what is going on.

It's a creative mod though, good choice of map and well executed.
        When Lardarse was originally making the mod, he'd tell me about it all the time but it was only once I started playing it that I "got it".

I probably spent about an hour searching the map over and over and over again and it probably was only 24 hours later when I actually found all the keys.

I can only imagine how great this concept would work on a giant map like one of the Insomnia levels.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
          If you do, I'd like to turn it into an AVI for YouTube.
          Sounds like a good idea. Here we go:

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...ates25Keys.zip

This is, I believe, a close to ideal route through the Bloody Slipgates, getting all 25 keys. It's an easy run as the purpose is to show the key locations rather than my 1337 ph34rs0m3 5k1llz.

It was recorded on a laptop, hence the sometimes jerky or clumsy play (no strafing, no backpedalling, a touchpad, you know the story). I've also deliberately left in some unnecessary searching around in some areas, as the purpose of the map is exploration and finding secrets.

If you run this demo *before* at least *attempting* the map a few times, you'll likely spoil the map, and will only have yourself to blame. You have been warned.

I'd LOVE to see some speedruns through this.
          Standard protocol 15, recorded on WinQuake, feel free to chop or edit some of the timewasting I did (or leave it in, as you see fit! )

Comment

Thinking about it now, I think I know which one you missed...

Which skill level was that, btw? 3 (or is it 4... I don't remember) of they keys move with each skill level (hard/nightmare are the same).

I did a run through on nightmare earlier. Ended with 1 less shell than the dispensers give, but a lot more nails, so they aren't technically necessary. But they do help. The hardest thing about nightmare though is that health is very tight. Playing it through again, I think I should've included the grenade launcher somewhere...
            16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
            16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

tough level, havent beat it yet,but indeed quite a refreshing take on Quake. I wouldnt mind seeing more of these.
              playing it on nightmare mode,squeezing every drop of fun out of it.

I should probably begin using the savegame feature though.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Thinking about it now, I think I know which one you missed...

Which skill level was that, btw? 3 (or is it 4... I don't remember) of they keys move with each skill level (hard/nightmare are the same).

I did a run through on nightmare earlier. Ended with 1 less shell than the dispensers give, but a lot more nails, so they aren't technically necessary. But they do help. The hardest thing about nightmare though is that health is very tight. Playing it through again, I think I should've included the grenade launcher somewhere...
                That was an Easy run for the purposes of the demo; didn't know that the key locations changed. Another neat idea.

Just done a Normal run and got all 25 first time round; it's actually easier to find them on a Normal run as some of the ones that move around are in more open areas. Easy has one in particular very cunningly hidden right at the start (and one hidden but not so cunningly so, if you know what I mean... )

Hard run, 25. Once again they're easier to find, so paradoxically on Easy it's most difficult to find all 25 keys.

Definitely agree with you on the shells/nails balance, maybe even swapping one of the nail boxes for a shell box would have been sufficient. Didn't feel the need for a GL though, the stock e1m1 weapon set was more than adequate.
                Last edited by MH; 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

MH's demo was perfect.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

You can tell I made it on a laptop, can't you?

Anyway, here's a LIT file for it too. http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...d_LIT_file.zip

Comment

You can tell I made it on a laptop, can't you?
                      Yes but it was sheer perfection, even the part where you looked at the Quake Expo 2008 logo. There were no failed jumps even. It was professional grade!

Anyway, here's a LIT file for it too. http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...d_LIT_file.zip
                      And the author of the LIT tool himself makes a lit file.

Such a bountiful harvest for Quake players.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        Yes but it was sheer perfection, even the part where you looked at the Quake Expo 2008 logo. There were no failed jumps even. It was professional grade!
                        I'm sure there was one at the crates at the end - hands get tired using a touchpad!

The looking around and stuff was deliberate though, I wanted to show off all the cool shit that was in this map. You might notice that at times I backtrack slightly or turn around unnecessarily - very same reason.

Anyway, my gonzo jump at the copper pipes turns out to be totally unnecessary, there is a much easier first-time-every-time way to get that key.

Comment

Anyway, my gonzo jump at the copper pipes turns out to be totally unnecessary, there is a much easier first-time-every-time way to get that key.
                          Which was only included at the last minute because I realised very late (like... 2 day before release) that you can't stand on explosives in engines other than DP. I'm not sure what Travail did to make it possible to stand on them, otherwise I would've included that instead. It's an explobox instead of a crate to add speedrunning options. It also moves with the difficulty to make the jump off of it harder (and the "box jump" needing more accuracy). I should've put a visual aid for the alternative method, though.

I think the apparent shortage of shells is down to my playing style. I tend to not lead with the nailgun, except on a very few maps where I need to. Also, the nailgun is in its traditional place, but by that point, you've already played through nearly a 3rd of the map.

I can think of more than a few ways to change what I did, except that I think it's time that I move on from that map. But not the concept...
                          16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                          16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Which was only included at the last minute because I realised very late (like... 2 day before release) that you can't stand on explosives in engines other than DP. I'm not sure what Travail did to make it possible to stand on them, otherwise I would've included that instead. It's an explobox instead of a crate to add speedrunning options. It also moves with the difficulty to make the jump off of it harder (and the "box jump" needing more accuracy). I should've put a visual aid for the alternative method, though.

I think the apparent shortage of shells is down to my playing style. I tend to not lead with the nailgun, except on a very few maps where I need to. Also, the nailgun is in its traditional place, but by that point, you've already played through nearly a 3rd of the map.

I can think of more than a few ways to change what I did, except that I think it's time that I move on from that map. But not the concept...
                            You should make more remixes It would be a blast to replay Quake with enhanced architecture!
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

The map was created by czg and Vondur. Quaddicted.com: e1m1rmx.zip - The Slipgate Duplex by czg & Vondur

Because they released the source to it Lardarse was able to modify the map further to suit the needs of this mod.

There are more great rmx maps:
                              Quaddicted.com: e2m5rmx.zip - The Lizard's Trance by rj
                              Quaddicted.com: rmx-pack.zip - Remix Map Pack by Various
                              Quaddicted.com: dm3rmx.zip - The Occupied Base by Andrew 'than' Palmer

Enjoy!
                              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                                The map was created by czg and Vondur. Quaddicted.com: e1m1rmx.zip - The Slipgate Duplex by czg & Vondur

Because they released the source to it Lardarse was able to modify the map further to suit the needs of this mod.

There are more great rmx maps:
                                Quaddicted.com: e2m5rmx.zip - The Lizard's Trance by rj
                                Quaddicted.com: rmx-pack.zip - Remix Map Pack by Various
                                Quaddicted.com: dm3rmx.zip - The Occupied Base by Andrew 'than' Palmer

Enjoy!
                                I haven't played them all yet but these are very good. I just played a couple of the maps from the rmx-pack...awesome. If you have any other top notch SP level recommendations PM me or post them here.

Comment

Working...
                                X