Quake Enhanced is out NOW !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

To be able to play the new Quake mission pack: Dimension of the Machine with other engines than the KEX engine (Quake Enhanced).

Main goal was to avoid crashes and console overflow caused by gamecode (progs.dat) changes for the new mission pack,
    that other engines cannot handle. Such as Steam Achievements.

All gamecode features should still work. So maps can be played as they ought to be.

Map files have not been touched.
    Maps lighting (shadows) depends on used engine.

Download

Included are 2 files:

1.) pak1_Universal.pak
    Can be used with most Quake engines (be aware that larger map limits must be supported !)
    Tested with Quakespasm-Spiked and FTE

2.) pak1_DarkPlaces.pak
    Is specially designed to be used with the DarkPlaces engine.
    It includes some additional particle effect extensions from the SMC mod and a few improved models
    If you do not want those edits you can remove them from within the .pak file

Installation:

Put the original pak0.pak from: Dimension of the Machine together with the pak1_xxx.pak of your choice into
    your alternative Quake engine setup. Subfolder: mg1
    Start the mission pack with your alternative Quake engine exe with this parm: -game mg1

You will need an autoexec.cfg file (already included in the pak1.pak´s) with the line:
    set campaign 1
    If you want to use an autoexec.cfg inside of your mg1 subfolder, you have to add that line in there.

Thank you very much to Spike for his help, support and patience with me.

Have fun,
    Seven

Comment

This won't give you the nice special effects like the shadows coming from the giant fans blades or the stained glass mirrors, which has a considerable impact on the atmosphere of these maps.

Still, it's quite an achievement you guys were able to pull it off without access to the source code. Respect!

Does this also take care of the ingame messages which have been turned into variables for localization?
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Thanks Seven!! Thanks NightFright!!

Comment

Another tip: If you use QSS, you can convert DOTM's pak file to zip/pk3 and bring it down from 700+ MB filesize to about 175 (max compression). Those TGAs they use for skyboxes are eating insane amounts of disk space needlessly, many of them are 12 MB large (each!). Gratefully, zip compression works really well on these. The maps are also huge (the hub level is 30+ MB), but there's nothing you can do about that.

*EDIT Aug 29*
          Updated my "DOPA Kex" patch in order to also add that missing "Congratulations" screen at the end. Get it here (142 KB).
          With this release, you won't actually have to edit DOPA's pak0.pak any more.

*EDIT Aug 30*
          There are still at least two major issues with the DOTM patch:
          1) A lot of messages (e.g. for pickups or info about when you have to push buttons etc) still show variables instead of text.
          2) Walking over Grunt corpses causes a glitch. Instead of you walking on top of the corpses, it's lifted over the top of your head. You pass underneath it, then it drops down again. This seems to be limited to Grunts only, not all corpses in general.
          Last edited by NightFright; 08-30-2021, 03:57 AM.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

*Crawls out of shallow grave*

Wow Quake Enhanced hu

Awesome work Seven!

But I have to agree other than the models and the new maps it left me wanting more, and its been a long time since I played.
            So I built a new Quake, using DP Engine, Rygels ultra texture pack, reforged skins, Romis rtlights, DP Pretty Water and of course the amazing SMC and Trents original audio tracks. Wish i had MoonDrunks animated Skybox, the links I've found are broken/dead. If anyone could point me in the right direction for that I would be very grateful.

*Edit* Also looking for the shader animated health boxes - that link is dead too

Speaking of right direction, I vaguely recall being able to browse tons of user made maps, both single and multiplayer, and just being able to choose it on a list and it would automatically download any files I needed to play the map/s. The amount was truely staggering and I cant believe that this remake doesnt inlcude access to such a treasure trove of pure love from the Quake community. I do enjoy the new maps but it is not enough lol. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It is ancient but if anyone could help me relive those gibful days again it's you guys

**Edit again**

So i believe Quaddicted was what I was talking about. If it isnt it looks damn close, not to mention the servers that is being advertised on this site. I'm more of a single person player, but its awesome that there are still people playing.

Anywho, after researching skyboxes I came across a link on this site that did work, from Seven of course, where he had a zip file of multiple animated skyboxes. MoonDrunks was included in the pack, however I cannot get them to work. Theres only 2 from him, sky1 and sky4, and I learned from other posts that 2 is all you need for animated boxes, instead of the 6 for a static skybox. And they go into a textures folder, not a ENV folder. And they should "automagically" work with DarkPlaces. These dont. So again, if I am missing something, I would greatly appreciate any help. I've got the files and did some bit of homework and sleuthing through forums but still a few gibs from success.
            Last edited by kreaper; 08-31-2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hello kreaper,

Nice to see you again !

You have a lot of questions.... Most of them are not related to Quake Enhanced, so its quite offtopic.
              I do not know where to start to answer them.
              But let me put it this way: A lot of things have changed since you were here. You mentioned Rygels textures, so it must have been around that time.
              There is a superior texture pack available from QRP, which makes Rygels almost absolete.
              But that is just the beginning.

If you find dead links, please post in those threads, to be able to find out which you mean and be able to reupload them.
              Browsing through this forum can take up quite a while, so answering to posts of yours are easier.

Have fun creating your new Quake experience.
              There is a lot to do and a lot of maps to play

Best wishes,
              Seven

Hello Nightfright,

It is best to play with FTE or Darkplaces if you are looking for an alternative engine.
              As mentioned on previous page.

FTE is basically the way to go here. As it can be adjusted just the way you want and can therefore be identical to QSS.
              Which seems to be the engine of choice for you.

Do not worry about the texts too much.
              People already working on that.

Have Fun,
              Seven

Comment

Quakespasm 0.94.0 is out and now also adds (preliminary) support for Quake Enhanced, including Quake 64.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                  Quakespasm 0.94.0 is out and now also adds (preliminary) support for Quake Enhanced, including Quake 64.
                  Its always good to have more options to choose from.

But as you already wrote:

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                  This won't give you the nice special effects like the shadows coming from the giant fans blades or the stained glass mirrors, which has a considerable impact on the atmosphere of these maps.
                  Anyway, good job szo !

Comment

Enjoying myself on the Bethesda matchmaking servers , classic quake love it !
                    My servers for the gamers:
                    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                    Offline ATM
                    fvf.servequake.com
                    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                    Offline ATM
                    newdm.servequake.com
                    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                    sigpic

Comment

Quake enhanced!

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        There is a superior texture pack available from QRP, which makes Rygels almost absolete.
                        But that is just the beginning.

If you find dead links, please post in those threads, to be able to find out which you mean and be able to reupload them.
                        Awesome, thank you for the heads up.
                        Sorry for getting off topic, I havent played with this stuff in forever and went deep lol

Comment

Hello,

Great news !

FTEQW now supports:
                          • Lighting (moving shadows, etc.)
                          • Texture strings in your mother tongue
                          • All gamecode features
                          • full MD5 support (MD5 model names need to be renamed to .mdl. Example: dog.md5mesh into: dog.mdl)

It can now fully replace the KEX engine.

As we know, FTE is highly adjustable (from vanilla Quake visuals to all the bells and whistles).

Installation:
                          Drop the FTE executable into the same folder where Quake_x64_steam.exe is.

Thank you very much Spike !

Comment

Quakespasm-Spiked now supports Quake Enhanced.

It can also load MD5 models now. On top of that, the new release features a new "Extras" menu in options where you can tweak stuff like model lerping, texture filtering, classic (square) particles etc. It appears Spiked also ported over latest Quakespasm changes which includes support for external .vis files (for transparent water).

DOPA (re-release):
                            - Copy over the "dopa" folder from your Steam installation (default dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\rerelease) into your QSS dir
                            - Open "QuakeEX.kpf" with 7-Zip (or another zip manager of your choice) and extract the "localization" folder into the "dopa" folder in your QSS dir
                            - Start the game with parameter -game dopa

DOTM:
                            - Copy over the "mg1" folder from your Steam installation (default dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\rerelease) into your QSS dir
                            - Open "QuakeEX.kpf" with 7-Zip (or another zip manager of your choice) and extract the "localization" folder into the "mg1" folder in your QSS dir
                            - Start the game with parameter -game mg1

There are still a few minor bugs, e.g. Grunt corpses will move on top of you when you walk over them, but it seems to be playable in general. Also no dynamic shadows.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Question at Seven:
                              Since you guys made a patch for DOTM for Non-Kex ports (which is now mostly not needed any more since at least FTE/Quakespasm/QSS/vkQuake support it, but anyway) - did you manage to decompile its progs.dat? And if you did: Did you find out what exactly are the differences in the code?

I'd like to add support for it in my AMQ/Vanilla Fixes projects, provided it's possible without breaking old content.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hello Nightfright,

Yes sure: Download fteqcc and decompile the rerelease progs.dat as if it were any other progs.dat.
                                It will give you all the source files.

You should know the procedure from there.

Have fun tinkering with rerelease source.

Regards,
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X