No announcement yet.

Quake Enhanced is out NOW !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually tried that, but it always stops in the beginning due to errors. Did you do anything special to get it working? I think I didn't try with fteqcc though, rather frikdec or proqcc. Both are quite old now and may not be up to the task.
    Last edited by NightFright; 09-13-2021, 02:48 PM.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

There's good and bad news.

The good:
      I managed to decompile the progs.dat files with FTEQCC.

The bad:
      - Source files don't recompile directly. This was somewhat expected.
      - DOTM code is a mess. It was a lot easier with DOTA since basically just the episode ending text needed to be added, a few lines of code. DOTM on the other hand... I assumed it would only be the changed boss and episode texts, but apparently it's more and I cannot determine what it is and where it belongs. It might be possible to add all the custom code to a vanilla-style progs.dat, but not with the limited knowledge I have.
      Last edited by NightFright; 09-14-2021, 09:32 AM.
      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hello Nightfright,

I did tell you this:
        Download fteqcc and decompile the rerelease progs.dat as if it were any other progs.dat.

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
        I actually tried that, but it always stops in the beginning due to errors.
        I think I didn't try with fteqcc though, rather frikdec or proqcc.
        Your answer is rather strange to me. As you did not do what I wrote and wonder why it doesnt work ?

There's good and bad news.

The good:
        I managed to decompile the progs.dat files with FTEQCC.
        I wrote:
        Download fteqcc and decompile the rerelease progs.dat as if it were any other progs.dat.

Did you think I lie to you when I wrote that fteqcc decompiles it with a single mouse click ?

The bad:

- DOTM is a mess.
        For some its a mess. For others its good structured code with some code snippets borrowed from other mods.

- Source files don't recompile directly. This was somewhat expected.
        That is always the case with advanced source code.

It was easy with DOTA since basically just the episode ending text needed to be added, a few lines of code.
        DOPA and DOTM have the exact same progs.dat in the rerelease. You are talking about the initial DOPA release from 20th anniversary, that doesnt have its own progs.dat at all.
        That is why it can be played with any other mod or id1, as it uses only id1 code.

DOTM on the other hand... I assumed it would only be the changed boss and episode texts
        Com' on, you are seeing all the new stuff in the DOTM episode (like rotating brushes, eplodable geometry/walls, earthquake, advanced particle code, new hub system, etc.) and think it uses vanilla id1 features ?
        Why is that ? All that needs additional gamecode of course. Those are not engine features.

but apparently it's more and I cannot determine what it is and where it belongs. It might be possible to add all the custom code to a vanilla-style progs.dat, but not with the limited knowledge I have.
        It´s in all the new .qc files that you now see in the decompiled code.
        The rerelease is capable of running id1 maps and mods. It even doesnt crash when used with other engines (for the most part).
        The code that made it crash was edited and removed by that monkey guy and posted some posts above in this thread.

Just like the advanced code of Mission Pack 1 (Hipnotic) and Mission Pack 2 (Rogue) are capable of running id1 maps.
        Looking and comparing the id1 source, Rogue, Hipnotic and Rerelease code, you will see exactly what is new and different.
        You can combine them all if you want. It takes some time and patience.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

The problem is this: As it stands now, the progs.dat from Enhanced is not 100% vanilla compatible. I found already at least one map from the Retro Jams (which are just levels without any custom code) which did not work before I placed a vanilla progs.dat in my id1 folder.

The new DOPA needs at least one addition in clients.qc if you want it to be 100% like the rerelease while using vanilla code, which is the episode ending text (for e5end.bsp). It's already in my AMQ and Vanilla Fixes packs. You can take the AMQ progs.dat and drop it into your DOPA (Enhanced) folder to override the embedded progs.dat. Might not make a big difference, but you'll still get a lot of code fixes Nightdive didn't bother to implement.

As for DOTM... I guess I'll keep trying, but it's not easy to pick all the new code elements and insert them into my existing code base. Sure, there are entire files they added, but it's not like you just add those to progs.src and it will magically work. The master question could be: Why even bother if it's working already with FTE and Quakespasm? Well, for one there are those Megahealth respawns. This might get fixed in a future update, but we don't know when it will be. Then, there are people who want the original Nightmare difficulty back. Plus there are my fixes from the URQP which are not implemented.
          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            Hello,

Great news !

FTEQW now supports:
            • Lighting (moving shadows, etc.)
            • Texture strings in your mother tongue
            • All gamecode features
            • full MD5 support (MD5 model names need to be renamed to .mdl. Example: dog.md5mesh into: dog.mdl)

It can now fully replace the KEX engine.

As we know, FTE is highly adjustable (from vanilla Quake visuals to all the bells and whistles).

Installation:
            Drop the FTE executable into the same folder where Quake_x64_steam.exe is.

Thank you very much Spike !
            Hi,
            FTEQW doesn't work for me. Dopa work but mg1 isn't starting.
            Version is 6060. Any idea?

Comment

Hello webangel,

Unfortunately I cannot help you much because on my side it is working out of the box.

What you could try is the following:
              - Temporary rename the folder: C:\Users\*your_name*\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios (be aware that "Saved Games" is "Gespeicherte Spiele" in German)
              - Temporary rename the file in your game folder: Quake Enhanced \rerelease\id1\fte.cfg
              - Maybe you have a typo in your shortcut: Quake Enhanced\rerelease\fteqw64.exe .exe" -game mg1
              - Be sure to have fteqw64.exe inside your rerelease folder.

If it still isnt working, you could try to copy the Quake Enhanced folder out of your Steam standard folders to any other harddisc / folder.
              If nothing helps, you could copy the mg1 folder into a standard FTE Quake setup and start it as any other mod.

Best wishes,
              Seven

PS: To change language text strings in FTE, use the cvar 'lang' (default is your windows language). Change cvar to us_us to have english (if you prefer).
              PPS: Be sure to use the Graphics Preset in options: Realtime to get the best visuals. No need to enable the "force" settings though.

Comment

First major update has been released:
                https://steamcommunity.com/games/231...53788150871156
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Anyone have rtlights for use it with DarkPlaces?

Comment

The Quake re-release received its second update yesterday on Steam.

Highlights seem to be a new coop mode for up to 4 players (also bots), "Honey" as the first official user-made addon to be included and then some smaller fixes (e.g. autoaim) and other mostly multiplayer-related issues.

But hey, at least they fixed the incorrect naming for the Death Knight.
                    Last edited by NightFright; 12-02-2021, 11:36 PM.
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

The horde mode is pretty cool, I like that you can play with bots in it too. A nice little time killer to hop in every once in a while

Comment

Hi there! What is the advantage using FTEQW over Quake Enhanced with the KEX engine? I tried vkQuake the last couple of days and there a a few minor things/glitches that simply do not work with the Enhanced edition - how is it using FTEQW instead? I am back to the KEX engine now because it feels much more "polished" than vkQuake.

Comment

FTE is open source and built by Spike + the community over a very long period. Quake Enhanced is closed source and built by ID over a much shorter period of time. FTE can run both QW and NQ, QE cannot. There are lots of other differences. QE is basically a standalone engine, used for playing QE. To my knowledge it is not a "Quake" or "Quakeworld" engine the way that FTE is.

Comment

Thank you, but that is something i already know. My question was directed to the advanced gameplay QE brings and if this is adopted (or possible to adopt) into FTEQW - e. g. the controls that were reworked in QE. When i play normal/vanilla Quake it feels like rollerblading now, i think the gameplay feels much better in QE.

Comment

In case you haven't seen it yet: Besides the third update, id released the QuakeC source code for their Kex release plus DOPA and DOTM. Let the modding begin!
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Since nobody has mentioned it yet: Update #4 is out with 3-Wave CTF (plus a fix for the dead Demon model clipping into the floor). Rubicon 2 has been added as an authorized addon.
                                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                                X