Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Enhanced is out NOW !!

Hello,

Since a few days the rumors were everywhere.
    Now its official and released:

Id Software and Machine Games have been working together to give you all:The Quake Ehanced Update

Most important:

It brings a brand-new expansion called: Dimension of the Machine by Machine Games (who brought us the amazing Dimension of the Past a while ago).

Steam users get the update for free.

Its on ALL platforms now (consoles and PC).
    It also has 4 players split screen support.

Feature List:
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/...04318371492362

Quake – the legendary dark fantasy FPS that revolutionized the genre is now enhanced! This new offering features cross-play, dedicated servers for online deathmatch matchmaking, free optional Add-ons, split-screen support for local deathmatch and co-op, AI opponents in deathmatch and more!
    Note: Steam users who already own Quake will automatically receive the new enhanced version with a free download!
    Read the FAQ below for details on how to access the enhanced version.

RELEASE NOTES
    • Enhanced Graphics

Better lighting, new models, updated maps, and a dynamic shadow system headline the graphical features available in Quake. Individual features of the enhanced graphics can be turned on and off to your preference
    • Includes Original Expansion Packs

The two retail expansion packs, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are both now bundled with Quake, and are integrated into the main game. The downloadable expansion pack, Dimension of the Past, has also been upgraded and included
    • Includes Soundtrack

The iconic original soundtrack by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is now included on all versions for the first time. The soundtracks for Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are also included when playing those expansion packs
    • Brand New "Dimension of the Machine" Episode

Created for Quake's 25th anniversary, Dimension of the Machine is a brand new experience created by the MachineGames team. Continue your fight through brand new dimensions, figure out the secret to restarting the machine, and come face to face with an old foe
    • Free Optional Add-ons

Similar to our re-releases of DOOM (1993) and DOOM II, we will also be periodically releasing free optional Add-ons available to download in the in-game "Adds-on" menu. Our first Add-on is Quake 64, which includes the original alternate soundtrack by acclaimed composer Aubrey Hodges
    • Split-Screen Multiplayer

Quake includes 4 player split-screen multiplayer on all platforms, in both deathmatch and co-op modes. Fight against your friends, or with your friends in all five campaigns. AI bots are also available to play against in deathmatch mode
    • Online Multiplayer

Play custom matches on player-hosted servers, or hop into matchmaking and play on dedicated servers. Quake also now includes the extra levels Acrophobia, and The Edge available in deathmatch mode. Dimension of the Machine also contains all new deathmatch levels
    • Cross-Play Multiplayer

Play with friends no matter which platform they prefer. Cross-play is available on all platforms, so you can play Quake with everyone
    • Supported Languages

English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian

Have fun and happy model exporting ...

Seven

I recently heard the news too. I just got my Quake updated on Steam. It looks like fun. Here's hoping all my mods still work, especially SMC!

Comment

I just want to rip the new episode for playing it in Quakespasm, provided they allow that. It looks like they have been busy in secret. Some of those new models look strangely familiar...

The joke is I just finished replaying the original game and the expansions, merely one week ago, for the purpose of my Vanilla Fixes project. Oh man, that's what I call bad timing.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Can we play CA in the new version or no?

edit: doesnt look like it :/
        Last edited by DOOMchronage; 08-19-2021, 03:35 PM.
        Steam: chronage

Comment

There had been rumours, whispers on the wind but I wasn't holding my breath.

Please, gods of Nvidia (or Amd) bring Quake the RT treatment... Plus a whole reboot would be nice but I don't want to push it.

I bet Digital Foundry have a video locked & loaded.

QE_options.png

If anybody is interested in the Display options available.
          And interestingly, it uses the KEX engine.
          Last edited by Adam; 08-19-2021, 06:46 PM.
          Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
          https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
          https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
          https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Hello,

After the first enthusiasm, I am pretty disappointed overall.
            • The engine has much less features compared to already existing advanced engines.
            • The amount of new content/assets is very small. Just a few models from capnbubs while half of the other content is still original (mission packs are even completely untouched). They didnt put a dime into content/assets making.
            • We are bound to Bethesda and need an account when it comes to addons, online, etc.
            • The new episode from Machine Games is the only really positive thing that sticks out. Thank god its also playable in other engines.
            • Another good thing is the crossplay feature, so that all consoles and pc can play together. That is clearly where the focus was for the Update.

At least, it brought new attention to this game. And I mean a lot of attention all around the internet and forums. That is good in my book.

There is one interesting video about the Update:

Kind regards,
            Seven

Comment

Well, it's the same story about that Doom Unity port. Everybody got super hyped about it at first. Yes, it had proper widescreen support, decent framerates and covered all official releases. But with addons, it's all about which ones are chosen by Bethesda for integration. You'll never be able to choose freely what you want to play with this. Also, since one year the port hasn't seen any further updates, even though there are still issues.

I am afraid this might also be the case here. That's why it's important to push devs for as many bugfixes as possible in the beginning since eventually, they'll stop paying attention. It's the same story with Nightdive remasters time and again. At first everybody is excited, then they find all the glitches, some get fixed, others not, then at some point... nothing. Believe me, I don't want this to happen, but it probably will, so be prepared. Not any time soon ofc, but eventually.

Anyway, for 10 bucks I bought this for my Switch, which is definitely not wasted since it's a good console port. For PC, there are surely better options. Personally, I am going for Mark V WinQuake for vanilla stuff and Quakespasm-Spiked for everything else. That new id port won't make me change that habit. Existing ports will probably be adjusted so they will run the new addons flawlessly, but most likely I'll play those just once anyway and then move on.
              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

I hope they release the source for the Dimension of The Machine, so we can play it with the non official source ports!
                Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

I haven’t had a good pc in years, but i do have an xbox. I’ve been hoping to see quake come to modern consoles! It’s good to play again, and see so many people trying it!! I’m having a blast, while it lasts! Good to see you’re still around seven!
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Hehe, sooner or later we all meet again, Syluxguy.
                    Good you didnt forget your password

Hello vegetous,
                    Be sure to tell us once you found it, right?
                    Have fun.

Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      Hello,

After the first enthusiasm, I am pretty disappointed overall.
                      • The engine has much less features compared to already existing advanced engines.
                      • The amount of new content/assets is very small. Just a few models from capnbubs while half of the other content is still original (mission packs are even completely untouched). They didnt put a dime into content/assets making.
                      • We are bound to Bethesda and need an account when it comes to addons, online, etc.
                      • The new episode from Machine Games is the only really positive thing that sticks out. Thank god its also playable in other engines.
                      • Another good thing is the crossplay feature, so that all consoles and pc can play together. That is clearly where the focus was for the Update.

At least, it brought new attention to this game. And I mean a lot of attention all around the internet and forums. That is good in my book.

There is one interesting video about the Update:

Kind regards,
                      Seven
                      Wow, Dimensions of the machine is playable in other engines? Which one? I've tried Quakespasm (all versions: classic, Spiked and VK) and Mark V....but it crashes
                      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

I know people are quibbling, but I love this. I've not tried to play any of the classic levels yet. I've jumped straight into the 4th expansion from Machine games and it's a blast. It's not like Quake in a way. The level design is much more modern and the lighting is more in line with the original Half Life. It's like playing a long lost sequel to Quake 1 that was created on the Quake II/Half Life engine and it's been released after being sat locked up in a software cupboard for a few decades. Man, it's a blast! Parts of the levels remind me of early Duke Nukem 3D levels like 'The Abyss' from Level Lord. I keep walking into areas and going "OMG, look at that!" It's a trip.

Are the models actually the ones from Capnbubs? As in, have people looked at them in a model editor and seen if the number and placement of verts matches up? I think they did a great job on the models in general. I know they updated the models to MD5.

Comment

Personally, I have indeed the suspicion that at least Player, Rottweiler, Grunt and even the Ogre are made by capnbubs. I wouldn't be surprised if the first three are exact matches of our AMQ entries. It's even possible capnbubs did more, if not all other models as well, considering their style and quality. In that case: Good for Nightdive they got his services, but I feel kinda cheated since it would mean the rest of his work had been withheld from the community for all these years, then. Especially with that mic drop act he pulled on us.

Gratefully, it seems convincing conversions to MDL format are possible, so we finally get what we always wanted. There's still some work for you btw, if you want. Some headgibs we added could need bottoms since they were just cut off their base models and now you can look inside of them from below.
                          Last edited by NightFright; 08-24-2021, 10:45 AM.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

I made a quick patch to get the new DOPA release playable in other ports. Get this file (54 KB) and follow the instructions in the readme. I already tested it in Quakespasm-Spiked. All maps work, the only thing you won't get is the "Congratulations" screen at the end of the episode - but in return, you won't get any crashes (if you follow the readme instructions properly).

(Side info: Main difference between this and the original DOPA is that there is one additional secret level, accessible from E5M3 (+ that congrats screen you won't see outside of the remaster port). On top of that, all maps are vised for transparent water and feature colored lighting.)
                            Last edited by NightFright; 08-25-2021, 06:07 AM.
                            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hello,

For those who want to play Quake Enhanced (including the new mission packs Dimension of the Past + Dimension of the Machine) with a different engine than KEX.
                              Spike made it all possible with his FTE engine. As we all know, its the most advanced engines of all.

Build 6030 already supported it roughly. And build 6042 is fully supporting it now.
                              Congratulations Spike !

Someone is already working on a progs.dat to bring the mission packs to other engines as well.
                              Thank you Spike for your support.

Best wishes,
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X