Focus: Rebuilding online Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus: Rebuilding online Quake

Five Games: One Server. In development: up to 16 players battle in a free-for-all deathmatch game. Top 8 players advance to the tournament with score determining seeding (i.e. #1 plays #8 in first round, #2 plays #7) --- where 4 matches occur simultaneously and non-qualifying players can play FFA or watch. Players defeated in the tournament return to the FFA game or likewise can watch. Five maps combined into one, server modifications separate the games.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Are you talking about proquake server or the universal server project here, Baker? Or are they one now?
    dfsp*spirit
    my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
      Are you talking about proquake server or the universal server project here, Baker? Or are they one now?
      You'll see.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Oh man. I want prediction!
        Have fun, Baker.

Comment

Oh Cool!!
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

hell yes atleast we know its not a kimp'd tourney
            DAVEMAN

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              Oh Cool!!
              The map is 2 copies of DM6, 1 copy of DM2, 1 copy of Aggressor, 1 copy of the Start map.

They are strategically positioned in 8 "quadrants". For example, the start map is entirely located in negative Z coordinate space. Z < 0

DM6 | DM6
              ------------------
              DM2 | Aggressor

The 4 battlefields for 1-on-1 tournament games lie in positive Z coordinate space. Z > 0

The entities and triggers in the maps have been prefixed "a", "b", "c", "d" and the deathmatch spawns become info_player_deathmatch_1, etc.

The battefields are in 4 quadrants. Positive X space + Positive Y space, Positive X space + negative Y space.

The server when sending updates to the clients only sends entities for their spacial quadrant.

Once the QuakeC is completed, I have a feeling this isn't the end of some journey but the beginning of a new age of tournament mods. Like a double of quadruple DM3 for a CAx tourney, etc. So this prototype is important and we get maximum value out of individual servers

And setting up a tournaments becomes easy ... you just show up.

[Haven't even thrown in the eventual idea of implementing --- aguirRe's 64-player scoreboard!!! The model doesn't tax the network protocol very much because only relevant entities are sent to an individual game. Implementing 32 or 64 player support in a distant future seems like it should be entirely possible.]

Comment

I want to play this. Now!
                Last edited by Phenom; 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  UI want to play this. Now!
                  I have an idea for some "over the top cheese" to add to this.

Upon a player winning the tournament, he appears in a "throne room" section of the map and all the losers and FFA players are teleported to the "coronation" room.

The tournament winner has a rocket launcher and quad and pent and gets 15 seconds to exercise this supremacy over the defenseless horde.

But I continue coding apace on version #1.

You aren't the only one who wants to play this, I'd get into DM just to play this. And I am very serious about thinking over the 64 player support in the future. It is also no coincidence the map selection ... but more on that at a later time. The real miracle here is that I coding QuakeC too.

Comment

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.

Don't forget our precious 3wave =)
                    uakene.com

Comment

Oh yes, very beautiful, i need more information
                      sigpic

Comment

I think the whole throne part should be him holding a sceptre and then he gets quad so he can bash them - or maybe just a golden exe (simple reskin)

Comment

o.m.bears!

Comment

Just make sure the (0,0,0) origin is not inside one of the maps or weird stuff will happen...

Cant wait to try this, keep up the good work baker!

Comment

Wow nice project Baker.
                              That would be fun to try out , u know we euro's are up for this sort of FFA stuff
                              My servers for the gamers:
                              bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                              port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                              Offline ATM
                              fvf.servequake.com
                              flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                              Offline ATM
                              newdm.servequake.com
                              port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X