Handmade Quake Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R00k View Post
    the actual series hasnt even started. if u look on his git page the actual handmade part is empty. all he has done so far is a little background history a d set up the compiler. he will be rewriting the engine from scratch he said.
    though im not sure which api he will use or if it will be C or C++.

If this is for C++ then that's a game changer for me... and Quake
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      If this is for C++ then that's a game changer for me... and Quake
      Well, Quake is written in C. Even Quake 3 was written in C. Doom 3 was the first id engine written in C++.

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      the actual series hasnt even started. if u look on his git page the actual handmade part is empty. all he has done so far is a little background history a d set up the compiler. he will be rewriting the engine from scratch he said.
      though im not sure which api he will use or if it will be C or C++.
      He's going to explain what the code does as he clicks "Edit->Copy" on one window and then clicks "Edit->Paste" into Visual Studio.

At least according to comments at Reddit.

Someone there posted the a verbatim quote "nothing new will be written".

There was brief discussion at func_msgboard about this a couple of weeks ago that involved Spirit expressing his disappointment after he found out what the guy is really doing.

Anyway here is the reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/com...andmade_quake/

Here is the key quote

"file by file, will turn it into the source code that id Software released to the world in late 1999."
      ^^ that. I mean, at least for me, that's like when you shake your head, say "what the hell?"
      Last edited by Baker; 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

If nothing new will be written, why did he set up a c++ project? How is that gonna work? Shouldn't he have set up a C project? My confusion is why the hell is he making software Quake? He even stated he "may" do an openGL project if he "hand makes" Quake 2. If he is trying to imply that the original quake wont benefit from openGL, he obviously has no idea where Quake is today.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
          If nothing new will be written, why did he set up a c++ project? How is that gonna work? Shouldn't he have set up a C project? My confusion is why the hell is he making software Quake? He even stated he "may" do an openGL project if he "hand makes" Quake 2.
          In Visual Studio, there isn't actually such a thing a C project only C++. Microsoft considers their version of C++ to entirely supercede C, at least for their purposes.

But yeah, exactly.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Oh, I'm not familiar with C languages, for the most part. Due to picking apart classes in QC I could write some kind of C (in a basic sense ~ typedef, struct, other smallies) but, my knowledge beyond basic language constructs is pretty much non-existent.
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-05-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Such a project is interesting, but this guy is entirely too into himself (what's with the eye shadow?) and I find it annoying and completely unwatchable... a shame.
              Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

LOL @ eye shadow

I wasn't sure if that was mascara or if he just had lush eyelashes. I don't understand why he has to stream his face, at all. In order not to be 100% negative, I will say I learned a hair of stuff. I learned never to use VS 2015 unless you want to use all your bandwidth downloading Microsoft updates. I learned how to move files from one folder to another. I learned that if something is hard you just delete it. I also learned that "handmade" means to take your hand and copy something that was already made. This code stuff is a lot easier than I thought.

I like how he picked apart the build file, though. That was the one piece of information he gave me which I was able to expand upon in contrast to other such files that I've seen and gain a greater understanding. For this paragraph, I'm not making jokes.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I'm just amazed at this.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                  X