Map Jam 8 - Film Noir Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Jam 8 - Film Noir Released!

the team over at func_msgboard just released another mapjam!

this time we got a quite unique theme: a black&white film-noir style!

featuring four maps from several new-comers as well as from one mapping veteran,
    in a quite unique 20's/30's black&white movie theme, with a hint of sin city

grab yourself a copy now from either here or here, and go color those grey streets red!
    Last edited by talisa; 11-22-2016, 05:27 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

really good lookin!!

I love the style!
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Finished playing it a few hours ago. Great jam! Go read my extensive review in two parts over at Func_Msgboard (Mugwump is the name there).

DP users: A recent build that supports alpha masked textures is highly recommended.
      Also, make sure you download the update to NewHouse's map and use r_useportalculling 0 if you experience visual glitches with his map.
      Finally, go grab Seven's film grain & scratches add-on.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Mugwump; 10-25-2016, 10:06 AM.
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Very nice...

Comment

^^^^really cool ^^^^
          *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
          sigpic

Comment

OH, so it's using a greyscaled pallete.lmp?

If you like this theme you can also play original maps using Qrack and gl_greyscale 1.
            Now this would only grey the map not the items/particles/entities...

hmmm well actually you should be able to use -game jam8 and play old maps with any engine in that case...using their modified pallete.lmp.

need to play these new maps either way! would be cool to make a shader that would toss out some static or film grain effects.

EDIT:http://devlog-martinsh.blogspot.com/...rain-post.html
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              actually you should be able to use -game jam8 and play old maps with any engine in that case...using their modified pallete.lmp.
              Yes, Shamblernaut said so himself in the Func_ thread. Actually, his Hackopolis map is an E1M3 remix that wasn't originally planned for this jam.

would be cool to make a shader that would toss out some static or film grain effects.
              Yes please.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                need to play these new maps either way! would be cool to make a shader that would toss out some static or film grain effects.

EDIT://game dev log of martins upitis: image imperfections and Film Grain post process FX
                Very nice resource...
                I do not understand how glsl works...
                i have a question: will be possible an adaptation of this shader to work with darkplaces using default.glsl ?

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                  Very nice resource...
                  I do not understand how glsl works...
                  i have a question: will be possible an adaptation of this shader to work with darkplaces using default.glsl ?
                  I second that. Additionally, I would very much like simulated film scratches to play this jam.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                    I second that. Additionally, I would very much like simulated film scratches to play this jam.
                    I have a very simple "fake film grain" in my game, is not so good but it's something... if you want to test it just let me know, i will port it to quake.
                    you can see the effect here.
                    http://media.indiedb.com/images/memb...ofile/08.1.png

syluxman2803

Comment

A video would be better than a fixed picture to demonstrate the effect but sure, why not? How's the game going, BTW?

Comment

I have 2 dumb questions to ask:

-Can I play this also in color?lol

-And, how can I play these?

I mostly play competitive Quake online with a client set at low detail. I want to start playing these map packs Can I download a separate client with all the sfx enabled from somewhere? Maybe someone here with already a maximum gfx configured client can make it available for download rather than me putzing around trying to figure everything out lol I think this would be useful to anybody who isn't really knowledgeable of single player Quake with full effects

I had to address my issue once in for all and now's the time hehe I just can't miss out on all this great fun

-thanks
                        The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

I forgot to say, I'm loving the axe from the screenshots, very cool
                          The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                            Added film grain & scratch effects for the Film Noir themed Map Jam 8. Both effects can be used individually or together.
                            Using the SMC feature to achieve it. Adjust the intensity to your personal liking, i used a more intense value to better see it in the clip. Watch it in full screen in a high resolution to see all details.

Just for fun
                            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mBDTfDY5rE[/ame]

Originally posted by Gem View Post
                            Can I play this also in color?
                            You surely noticed that the map files are really huge in this map jam. The reason is because they include the custom textures. You can play them in color when you use their original *colored* textures as external replacement textures.

And, how can I play these?
                            Did you read the included readme ?

...single player Quake with full effects
                            What do you mean with "full effects" ? Quake has no effects other than the ones in the engines menu.
                            Or do you mean the Darkplaces bling-bling stuff that can be seen on all those screenshots in this forum ?

Comment

I have 2 dumb questions to ask:

-Can I play this also in color?lol

-And, how can I play these?

I mostly play competitive Quake online with a client set at low detail. I want to start playing these map packs Can I download a separate client with all the sfx enabled from somewhere? Maybe someone here with already a maximum gfx configured client can make it available for download rather than me putzing around trying to figure everything out lol I think this would be useful to anybody who isn't really knowledgeable of single player Quake with full effects

I had to address my issue once in for all and now's the time hehe I just can't miss out on all this great fun

-thanks
                              Hi Gem

Please bare in mind that I'm no Quake Graphics expert and I have to defer to more knowledgable people like Talisa, Seven, etc when it comes to getting Quake to look it's best, but although I'm sure there must be better ways of "pimping" out your Quake, you could would try the following in case it helps give you the high detail even "blingy" look you may be looking for :
                              1. create a darkplaces folder inside your quake folder and Download Darkplaces in to it and get that running as you like it.
                              2. Download the 2 texture packs from the Quake Revitalisation Project (QRP) and place them in your id1 directory.
                              3. Add Seven's SMC mod to your darkplaces to add a lot of effects, fun features, (some of which he has highlighted in this thread), and a little more control over how your Quake looks and plays. Be sure to read the readme though as it explains how to configure SMC exactly to your liking.

Kind regards

Monty
                              Mr.Burns
                              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                              X