Map Jam 8 - Film Noir Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help

Yea I did say I may sound like a total fool as I don't know much about how you guys make your single player Quake look like that

>You can play them in color when you use their original *colored* textures as external replacement textures.

On 2nd thought I don't even know how to do this and probably I should play this mod in its intended form, as I did see some color sprinkled here and there for aesthetic accentuation in the previously posted video which was great btw
    The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      Added film grain & scratch effects for the Film Noir themed Map Jam 8. Both effects can be used individually or together.
      Using the SMC feature to achieve it.
      Seven, you rock!

You can play them in color when you use their original *colored* textures as external replacement textures.
      Not exactly true. This jam comes with a custom palette so even the original textures will be affected by it. 24-bit textures like QRP won't, however. BUT though some maps use only textures in their original, colored version (mostly from id1 and Kingpin), some others also use desaturated textures. For the former, you can just delete or rename the palette.lmp in jam8\gfx, but the latter will look weird if you don't override the desaturated textures with their original counterparts.

Originally posted by Gem View Post
      I forgot to say, I'm loving the axe from the screenshots, very cool
      It's the standard Arcane Dimensions axe.

On 2nd thought I don't even know how to do this
      Create a \textures subfolder inside \jam8 and put your textures there, or if they come in a .pk3 archive, either place it in the \jam8 folder or in \id1.

probably I should play this mod in its intended form
      Yeah, you should, at least for your first playthrough. Note that at least NewHouse is planning a standalone, full colored version of his map. Possibly some others are, too.
      Last edited by Mugwump; 10-25-2016, 01:45 AM.
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

@Seven By the way, I've just watched your video and the effects are great. However, it seems you've done something wrong: there shouldn't be any color in the start map. Are you using the included palette?

Comment

Is it going to be on Quaddicted soon?

Comment

Most probably. I'm also at Func_, so I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear about it.

Comment

Hello,

This is the film grain & scratch effect addon: DOWNLOAD
              Read the readme for more details.

With this addon you will have the effects as showen in this post in your Quake.

impulse 55 --> toggles film scratch effect
              impulse 56 --> toggles film grain effect

Effect properties can be adjusted via cvars now.

Have fun,
              Seven

EDITED:
              Updated to new version as requested by bfg666
              Last edited by Seven; 10-25-2016, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Very nice! im impressed by your speed to produce!

on a side note, Qrack can run the AD mod and this map jam too, although you might get an error to increase your cl_max_edicts cvar, it's actually "MAX_EDICTS" cvar (default 4096) but the map jam likes something higher like 8192 or 16384.

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

This is the film grain & scratch effect addon

Awesome! Thanks, Seven. I've just downloaded it, will test later but I'm still wondering about what I asked you in post #18...

Edit: OK, finished tested it. This is really great but the effects are a bit too intense. Can we adjust their intensity? Also, the effects are reset at the start of each new map and we have to toggle them again. Is it possible to make them persistent from map to map?

Edit 2: finished testing*
                  Last edited by Mugwump; 10-25-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    Very nice! im impressed by your speed to produce!
                    Hello R00k,

Not really.
                    As mentioned, the overlay effect was introduced in the SMC in build v5.40.
                    So I only had to edit some effect properties.
                    Most time I spent on finding suitable effect textures. The code was already there.

If you are interested you can watch this small clip to see some other applications of the overlay effect from the SMC:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkwRc5oc_M

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post

Awesome! Thanks, Seven. I've just downloaded it, will test later but I'm still wondering about what I asked you in post #18...
                    You mean the color palette ? Hehe, you should know me by now...
                    I am a modder and my focus is always to make new features which are map indepenent. So I could have record the clip playing DOPA or regular id1 maps or any other fan made maps.
                    But due to the fact that you wanted to have it in your Map Jam 8 maps, I chose a map from that pack. I didnt even play Map Jam 8 yet...
                    I spend my time on modding rather than playing, otherwise time consumption would be too much. I have a folder with maps I plan to play in the future though (wonder when that will be...)

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                    OK, finished tested it. This is really great but the effects are a bit too intense. Can we adjust their intensity? Also, the effects are reset at the start of each new map and we have to toggle them again. Is it possible to make them persistent from map to map?
                    I gave you my hand, now you grab for my arm. LOL
                    But no problem, find an updated version in above post. It has ALL your requests included

Have fun,
                    Seven

Comment

Yesssss! Thank you, Seven! Tested the updated version and it's perfect. I fiddled with the settings and found that the best values for me are half the default settings.
                      Last edited by Mugwump; 10-26-2016, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Just noticed MJ8 got its 900th view today. Will it reach the Grand? [insert theremin suspense music here]

Edit 11-19-2016: Yes! It did! 1006 views as I speak.
                        Last edited by Mugwump; 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Amazingly, Map Jam 8 is still not on Quaddicted.

What's the holdup?

Comment

Best guess? Spirit has a life and he hasn't had time to update the site! Also negke said,"it was due to technical problems, the pack is not yet available in the database."

So yeah, patience.

http://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=448

Originally posted by manwithnoname22 View Post
                            Amazingly, Map Jam 8 is still not on Quaddicted.

What's the holdup?

Comment

Neato.

I wish it had a murder mystery adventure mod to go with it. I'm just so sick of Quake monsters.
                              Last edited by gulliver-trans; 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Some news

Hey guys! So, the jam never showed up on Quaddicted because... no-one sent it to Spirit! I had a talk with Shamblernaut, who organized this jam, and I'm gonna take care of it. I'm repacking it with the latest AD patch. The repack will include NewHouse's update, the specific instructions for Darkplaces (see post #3) and will add track numbers to the maps that had none. I'd also like to include Seven's film grain & scratches shader. Lastly, it will include a jazzy/industrial main theme music made by Yours Truly. I think I'll be ready to send the repack to Spirit in about a week or so, as soon as I finish the theme. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry Gulliver, but no murder mystery adventure... Maybe you should make one?

Comment

Working...
                                X