Space 4077 A.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space 4077 A.D.

This is a proof-of-concept total conversion, at least of the game data defined as the models and sounds -- which are 100% GPL, on a rapidly mostly retextured map, e1m1rmx, just to get a feel for it [the retexturing was hastily done, not a quality job].

Some great ambient sounds were created by alc. The humanoid enemy skins were based on a skin by Starbuck. Some QuakeC by Lunaran (the Axe Grunt) spawned this idea a year ago, Lardarse making a very insightful observation that led to this path.

More to come ...
    Last edited by Baker; 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Well, well

Double pistols looked very nice, and I definitely noticed the new ambient sounds. Seems like a nice vision guiding you there.

My only complaint: with the tease you posted, I expected a V for Vendetta mask in there somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by oldendirt View Post
      Double pistols looked very nice, and I definitely noticed the new ambient sounds. Seems like a nice vision guiding you there.
      I don't have time to properly explain everything, but I created almost nothing except for skins and sounds.

Much of this leverages some pre-existing work that really needed skin modification to bring out the potential or needed more creative use.

Tomorrow, I plan on documenting sources and making files available for download.

Some of the implications of this are:

1. Standalone freely distributable single player games can be created using a Quake engine and may be freely distributed.

2. Actually, there is little to nothing stopping a standalone freely distributable multiplayer download (like download and play). Except there aren't any already compiled open source maps (the textures) for Quake. id Software released the map sources but retexturing the maps is another thing entirely ... but cherry-picking a few maps and retexturing wouldn't be hard. dm6 has 8 textures. dm3 has 51 textures (harder).

3. Many pure QuakeC modification that modders make could easily be translated into a free distributable single player game.

That is just some.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

sdgf

i'd play this level.. looks awesome

Comment

Looking forward to this. Love the sci-fi treatment. It's missing some screams of pain though..

Comment

I LOVE the red lg effect!!!
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              I don't have time to properly explain everything, but I created almost nothing except for skins and sounds.

Much of this leverages some pre-existing work that really needed skin modification to bring out the potential or needed more creative use.

Tomorrow, I plan on documenting sources and making files available for download.

Some of the implications of this are:

1. Standalone freely distributable single player games can be created using a Quake engine and may be freely distributed.

2. Actually, there is little to nothing stopping a standalone freely distributable multiplayer download (like download and play). Except there aren't any already compiled open source maps (the textures) for Quake. id Software released the map sources but retexturing the maps is another thing entirely ... but cherry-picking a few maps and retexturing wouldn't be hard. dm6 has 8 textures. dm3 has 51 textures (harder).

3. Many pure QuakeC modification that modders make could easily be translated into a free distributable single player game.

That is just some.
              dm6 is probably relatively easy to retexture. Assuming you want correct texture alignment, you'll have to scale textures to match the odd width of some faces. Even then, there might be problems remaining. If that is unimportant, of course, any map can be automatically retextured.

Retexturing dm3 with correct texture alignment is probably nigh impossible. You'd become very frustrated very quickly. You'd be better off with dm3rmx as a starting point, because it already is correctly textured - you'd just need to swap the textures.

Of course, missing texture alignment has never stopped QW people from putting pink textures into dm6, but if you use high resolution replacement textures that actually look like floor panels etc., it's going to become really apparent that most of the textures are cut off in incorrect places.

Basic problem we faced when starting out on RMQ.

Another option is of course ripping some maps from the upcoming RMQ multiplayer demo and retexturing those. You won't have to fight with texture misalignments then. And they're all pretty close to the originals.

Edit: RMQ is remaking from scratch all Quake DM maps plus DM7, Q2DM1, Q2DM2, and probably some others. They'll be under a free license. Retexturing them should be very easy. We're actually at a point where DM1 - DM7, Edge, and Tokay are largely layout complete, except for DM3, which is still in the works.

This might be a future option, too, for creating a standalone free Quake multiplayer distribution.
              Last edited by golden_boy; 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hey I'm new

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!

Comment

Originally posted by Doobbergort View Post
                  What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!

Bing - It's better than Google

Comment

This is bat country.

Comment

Nevermind that zop...poor bastard will see them soon enough
                      Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Originally posted by oldendirt View Post

My only complaint: with the tease you posted, I expected a V for Vendetta mask in there somewhere...
                        lol i know who did it

Comment

despamified
                          Last edited by Baker; 11-22-2009, 04:27 AM.

Comment

lynx

meh, needs more links.
                            Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Very nice job. So I'm guessing this is like a Scientific Genre Duke Nukem Style of Quake?

Comment

Working...
                              X