X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The July Edition: OpenKatana

OpenKatana: Daikatana Remake
    QuakeOne Thread | IndieDB Page

OpenKatana is a project to remake John Romero's Daikatana using a modified FitzQuake engine with a new map format, md2 support and a new game code system that replaces QuakeC. Read more ...

"What makes OpenKatana unique is that we have access to everything from Daikatana's development to help ensure OpenKatana is both true to the original design but also features never before seen features. We're not just recreating content here ..."
    FBSP: Quake 3 Maps With Dynamic Lighting
    GB's Blog Entry | Thread
    goldenboy posted a screenshot of his work-in-progress using FTEQW which supports the FBSP format, which is also used by Warsow. goldenboy's blog post outlines his single player project that will use this map format and his exit from the Remake Quake Team.

Unlike the normal Quake 3 map format, which lacks dynamic lighting (no flickering lights, turning lights on/off) the FBSP map format support dynamic lights and more importantly FTE supports them.

Is Seven Up To Something?

Videos of effects, bizarre experiments, mad schemes. Something is going on with this.
    Last edited by Baker; 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Hello,

The Daikatana Remake is really making me excited.
    Reading the OpenKatana thread, it will still needs some time until then. I hope that the dev team will bring it to a good end.

I did not know that Remake Quake is no more...
    Such a promising team with so many extremely talented people. It is a pity.
    But this shows us how things can come.
    It is good to read though, that almost all of that team are continuing on different projects
    I am sure we will see beautiful things coming.

Regarding your comment:
    Is Seven Up To Something?

Videos of effects, bizarre experiments, mad schemes. Something is going on with this
    I guess this shows how sick a human mind can become...
    "bizarre experiments"
    People have to keep entertained with more and more bizzare things... to keep them interested.
    But seriously, the "Something" is already in a good shape to see the light of day soon.

Thank you for your time and effort updating the news page, Baker.

Comment

Reminds me of an old movie with a dead hand that had a life of its own.
      Would be wild to make a T3 effect where the gibs reformed and the monster returns to life
      sort of a T3 zombie..
      WARNING
      May be too intense for some viewers.
      Stress Relief Device
      ....BANG HEAD HERE....
      ---------------------------
      .--------------------------

Comment

I've recently joined the RMQ project so I'll try to clarify some things.
        Remake Quake isn't really dead, it just diverged into ‘Scout's Journey’ and ‘Schism’.

Remake Quake grew from a re-imagining of the single player episodes to something else entirely.
        The remake element is always there, but as the team started to experiment with different gameplay ideas there was somewhat of a split among the contributors.
        GB wanted to innovate and experiment radically, others wanted a re-imaging of the single player story but without really intrusive core gameplay changes.
        Hence the project split into these two different visions, there was a feeling of mutual acknowledgement that the personal agendas were differentiating too much.
        GB was starting to feel a bit stifled in his creative endeavours.
        There's still somewhat birth-strings attached, a good chunk of art and code is shared between the projects.

The name change of Remake Quake to Schism was because the game was clearly no longer going to be just improved ID maps, and the name was starting to get problematic. Also the maps were getting huge and doing all of them with this much attention to detail would not be viable for a team of hobbyists doing this in their spare time. There's a new storyline to tie them together in a way that diverges from the original.

So in short:
        Scout's Journey: something new and adventurous using the Quake universe as a springboard.
        Schism: A re-imagining of the single player Quake story, deviations from vanilla Quake will be there but more subtle.

The fun part is now to see how the projects will diverge, GB is a madman, I'm sure Scout will be something fun and fresh. There's still plenty of surprises in Schism though, but I don't want to give too much away

PS: Seven, beating heart gibs, too cool :']

Comment

Originally posted by Spiney View Post
          I've recently joined the RMQ project so I'll try to clarify some things.
          Remake Quake isn't really dead, it just diverged into ‘Scout's Journey’ and ‘Schism’.

Remake Quake grew from a re-imagining of the single player episodes to something else entirely.
          I kinda suspected something like that might happen, consider all the ideas that have been developed and fleshed out, thinking that remake would be too limiting.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

"Madman" is a new one.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
            X