Coming Soon: 24/7 Rolling Team DM Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Soon: 24/7 Rolling Team DM Server

Wicked Lord and myself are setting up a 24/7 action-packed, fast-paced largely custom maps Team Deathmatch server. With rolling teams (like CTF servers used to do). This should give people who crave DM and newbies alike a great place to play.

1. Short game lengths: (30 frags, 8 minute levels).
    2. Team mode only: Veteran players can switch team to balance things out.
    3. Map Diversity: Small rotation of a few custom maps plus a couple of classic maps.
    4. No Team Damage: Someone with .. err ...badaim ... can't make their team mad with friendly fire.
    5. Team Score Preserved: A lag out or disconnect is no big deal.

Will it be running CRMOD? Actually no. And getting a quality match mode game is difficult, vulnerable to being ruined lag-outs or someone going AFK. And hopefully with some custom maps in the rotation, this can provide the kind of "all play, no stress, little talk" environment that the EuroQuake server has provided for years.
    Last edited by Baker; 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

sounds good.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

The first step torwards breaking the anti-anything DM3 gaming mantra in TDM, I'm ready to play this whenever its availible.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Wicked Lord and myself are setting up a 24/7 action-packed, fast-paced largely custom maps Team Deathmatch server. With rolling teams (like CTF servers used to do). This should give people who crave DM and newbies alike a great place to play.

1. Short game lengths: (30 frags, 8 minute levels).
        2. Team mode only: Veteran players can switch team to balance things out.
        3. Map Diversity: Small rotation of a few custom maps plus a couple of classic maps.
        4. No Team Damage: Someone with .. err ...badaim ... can't make their team mad with friendly fire.
        5. Team Score Preserved: A lag out or disconnect is no big deal.

Will it be running CRMOD? Actually no. And getting a quality match mode game is difficult, vulnerable to being ruined lag-outs or someone going AFK. And hopefully with some custom maps in the rotation, this can provide the kind of "all play, no stress, little talk" environment that the EuroQuake server has provided for years.
        We used to have it,it was called Hating CTF normal mode aka "Connect&Play" , no fuss no muss. I like the idea of this, it also kicks fn "Captains" to the curb,and will allow for larger games than 4v4.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Who likes waiting 30 minutes to play a game? Most people want to show up and play.

Plus, in match mode there isn't much room for newbies. If some new guy gets a rocket launcher and accidentally kills someone on his team, people are upset for obvious reasons. So what is someone new going to do? Just not play DM at all in fear of being viewed as a liability.

No newbies and the player pool winds down into nothingness.

I'm also thinking of making the engine be full anonymous (no IP address) like say, the Rocket Arena server with pings rounded up to increments of 20 (so it is difficult to guess who someone is based on ping .... like "great the 15-pinger is back).

The ping displayed in the scoreboard is sent from the server.

None of this prevents having stats, the server does know the IP address. It won't have stats immediately, but you can bet when it does, they'll be on the QuakeOne.com home page. [Remember how we once had GameStatus rankings on the homepage, but Solecord had to remove it because it was too slow?]

The real Quake is DM. And getting in a real game of DM is hard ...

You know ... I used to play rather regularly on the Bigfoot server with 150 ping because they play custom maps and do FFA. 150 ping sucks, but I showed up for the action --- not sitting around 15 minutes.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I find this odd, simply because the server that was on wicked.quakeitup.com already had this option, it could host cax, tdm, and ctf just with a simple vote. Including teamplay 1 pub pickup dm games, iwht auto team balancing, map rotation, etc.. but now it's running flander's runequake setup.
            http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tml#post115814
            The crctf server on wicked's "wicked.quakeitup.com - Atlanta, GA"
            can utilize a public pickup dm mode. This is lke the old ctf games of the past where players connect and are placed on a team automatically, (depending on scores and number of players), and afte game over, stats are shown (via autostats), and theres an intermission, then a new map loads. Game continues.
            This is how i played quake online ctf for about 5 years, connect and go. For hours on end without waiting nor bitching. DM just needs a newbie push.
            I used to like playing at netdoor simply for its ease of connect and go, but it was only ffa. DM has always had this connect, obs argue who will play, finally play and its a lost cause cause i dont have enough experience
            Last edited by R00k; 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

This server will have no voting at all.

See the problem with a multi-mod server is that when Player X shows up, and the server is CA, he wants to play CA. If some other mode is running, that's annoying. Or if a server runs custom maps, and you connect and someone voted it to DM3. This is why Slot Zero, for instance, has the Rocket Arena server as it's own deal and you can't vote it out of that mode.

I'm not saying voting isn't fine for certain kinds of servers.

I don't know anything about the Flanders server setup.

Except a few years ago, RocketGuy and I created the initial Flanders server mod while he collected info from Polarite, Peg, Mr. Burns and so forth as to what they wanted.

Comment

At any rate it will be nice to have some larger pickup games.
                Last night we played 10 minutes matches and idled 20 minutes between talking BS.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  At any rate it will be nice to have some larger pickup games.
                  Last night we played 10 minutes matches and idled 20 minutes between talking BS.
                  I've always been a fan of the "show up, play for 20 minutes. Maybe longer if everything is fun." You could do that Trinicom. You can do that at Flanders. You can do that at Shmack, but it's all gas grenade spam.

[I never liked waiting for a game to end in CAx, but for a big game it was worth it. Especially on Q1edge or q3dm6qw].

I think the current model of talk, wait, zzzzzz, talk, wait, zzzzzz .... sucks. People think that is "the way it has to be" because they are used to it. I used to .... hahah ... Quakeworld sometimes at xs4all (Europe) ... for custom DM map action because you can't get any here (spent the whole time wishing it were NetQuake I was playing). Some of those maps found their way to the Dredd server, unsurprisingly

[I used to play custom maps DM at some USA Quakeworld server. Steek and those guys ...]

Comment

Ya the thing about xs4all that I dislike is their weapon stay. All this creates is a focal point for spam. People rush rl all day run backwards shooting anyone else running for the static rl. It's just a 0/100 gib fest with zero strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      Ya the thing about xs4all that I dislike is their weapon stay. All this creates is a focal point for spam. People rush rl all day run backwards shooting anyone else running for the static rl. It's just a 0/100 gib fest with zero strategy.
                      Tactically, weapon stay sucks in my opinion. On a non-match mode server, I'm not sure if weapon-stay can be off. The number of players is variable and if there aren't enough guns .... Hmmm. Some maps don't have that problem, though (ztndm3).

Comment

i personally like waiting 20 minutes for a ctf game. crctf mode for ever.
                        Rambo[RuM]
                        I support:
                        Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                        Qrack - Thank You r00k
                        Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                        Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

hiding ip addresses = been there,done that,asked SlotZero to stop hiding the entire IP address for a reason, which was immature-****-smoker like Foq,Monster, Wolv, or whoever would show up while the IP masking was enabled, and feel free to foam at the mouth without concern of being identified.I wouldn't play on a server that hide's pings or IP's.

mucking with my ping = IDFTS, you can figure that acronym out.

A TDM server that offers the newmap rotations,team based gameplay,non matchmode,connect&play, really sounds awesome. But now I stop joking about the example ,

Slot Zero has removed all text appearing on his server q_version and replaces it with x_version , well Just a thought, in order to fight the dead-end TDM crowd who insists on raping/pillaging CAx servers for players, will need addressing.Whats to stop it from being the same situation? IMO the only way to make a horse drink,wait you can't make him drink,and im betting that a server as suggested would just be another place for TDM DM3 squads to show up and same old song and dance as it currently is.

In CAx, the text TDM should all be replaced with "You want to TDM?Let me help you" and the server auto connects the person saying TDM without the original text being sent

I'm one who can enjoy both CAx and TDM but , same shit like as back in the day, TDM players lurk around CAx servers, as people connect 3-4 decide to suggest DM, server is left empty. That shit's irritating, if I can go idle on a CAx server and gather my own players, why can't someone else do the same?

Comment

You have some interesting points, but I don't know to what to extent any of the above would actually be a factor in practice.

In my experience, most people looking to play some Quake are looking to play some Quake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                              feel free to foam at the mouth without concern of being identified.I wouldn't play on a server that hide's pings or IP's.
                              Looks like you had a groupie hanging out with you today.

Some day, I aspire to have such groupies.

Comment

Working...
                              X