No announcement yet.

Players Exceeded Planning; Will Improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think starting fresh with this mod is a mistake.

It's like going back to glquake, and saying u are making a new engine to rid the quake universe of all problems.

I know this might sound bitter, but there are a ton of resources on the net, and from fellow quakeC coders that can shortcut this venture.

I could easily circumvent this effort in a few hours work. I wont. But i think its kinda effortless and egotistical to broadcast this kinda endeavor as a novice.

Just saying as it will be a 5 year project if u plan to get it right.
    Last edited by R00k; 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      I think starting fresh with this mod is a mistake.

It's like going back to glquake, and saying u are making a new engine to rid the quake universe of all problems.

I know this might sound bitter, but there are a ton of resources on the net, and from fellow quakeC coders that can shortcut this venture.

I could easily circumvent this effort in a few hours work. I wont. But i think its kinda effortless and egotistical to broadcast this kinda endeavor as a novice.

Just saying as it will be a 5 year project if u plan to get it right.
      Well. What you say does have merit. But you might be attributing the lack of updates to a lack of understanding (which is partially true, I am no doubt nowhere as fast at implementing QuakeC ideas as yourself) when really it is has been, like I outlined above, a need to catch up on real-life commitments.

Am I a novice? It is a great question. I lack your level of QuakeC experience, but QuakeC touches the engine. It is possible I have gained the insight I need to whatever I need to do through seeing how QuakeC interfaces with the engine.

What is the true answer? I can't really say. But I will ask you this ... did the mod ever crash or did you witness any bugs on the night of testing?

The answer about bugs and crashes --- the most common rookie mistakes --- should convey clues about competence levels.

I'm just saying. I don't have a way to assess my QuakeC skill levels. And I definitely don't have a lot of QuakeC experience. Yet none of the planned features failed, but unplanned scenarios did happen. Yet it was a "server test" --- so I knew unplanned pitfalls would happen.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I had about 9 beers at the time of that previous post so, forgive me for talking out my ass...

I know it can be a lot of work. You end up playing QuakeC more than Quake.
        Friends you had when u started working on a mod dont play anymore when you get done.
        Real-life feels like a television on in the other room, while you're staring at code.

My frustration wasnt against the mod, or anything specific, it was my own selfishness thinking back if I had to build a mod from
        1.06 progs.dat and clean up all the bugs. Adding all the standard features, etc etc.. It's like watching someone learn to ride a bike.
        You get that ugh feeling when they wobble, but you just have to let them do it themselves.

Edit>> Bug report:
        If you connect to the server, join a team, type menu in console then press jump the server crashes.
        Last edited by R00k; 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I had about 9 beers at the time of that previous post so, forgive me for talking out my ass...
          It's all good I've done the above with some frequency.

No worries

Edit>> Bug report:
          If you connect to the server, join a team, type menu in console then press jump the server crashes.
          Thanks. I thought I fixed that.
          I know it can be a lot of work. You end up playing QuakeC more than Quake.
          Friends you had when u started working on a mod dont play anymore when you get done.
          Real-life feels like a television on in the other room, while you're staring at code.

My frustration wasnt against the mod, or anything specific, it was my own selfishness thinking back if I had to build a mod from
          1.06 progs.dat and clean up all the bugs. Adding all the standard features, etc etc.. It's like watching someone learn to ride a bike.
          You get that ugh feeling when they wobble, but you just have to let them do it themselves.
          I can't master it if I don't learn. I didn't use Quake 1.06, I used xCTF. Bam had fixed a ton of Quake bugs. Consider that xCTF has run non-stop on a server for about 6 years.

Had I used a different source base, like say RQ, I would have had to deal with several tiers of obfuscation (someone else's order is your chaos).

You might factor in I am quite prone to stockpile information, I know where to find anything I want to do that already exists (like yank features out of RuneQuake like EFF and kill stats). I rewrote parts of xCTF to get it organized how I wanted and de-spaghetti some stuff I felt was unclear.

I'm no master of QuakeC -- at times I have to plan stuff out on paper, but I'm familiar with what the progs source code does.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
          X