Favourite Quake for SINGLE PLAYER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Quake for SINGLE PLAYER

I thought I'd start a poll, specifically relating to something I was thinking about the other day. Which Quake had the best single player experience? I'm talking from the perspective of a whole game, not campaign specific. So 'Scourge of Armagon' would be Quake 1, unless you specifically loved a mission pack for one game, but preferred the flow of another. But that's where you may end up going into more detail.

For me I'd say I enjoy Quake 1's single player the most. It still feels more like Doom to me than the rest of the series, which is probably why. Being a huge fan of Doom and all.

But with it's atmospheric environments to cool monster designs, I found myself enjoying Quake 1 the most. Because as much as I liked how Quake 2 was played out, it felt plastic and hollow. Like a mod, more than a full game to me. Quake 3 was just Deathmatch. So I can't really compliment the single player experience of Q3 over something like Quake, which actually had a story driven single player (even if I found myself making the story up for half of it.)

Quake 4 was okay, but it didn't really blow my mind, just felt like a shooter in space. At least Quake 2 seemed cool. But in retrospect, I could just be wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at Quake 2.

So, what is your favourite single player Quake experience? Although I am asking as a game, less on the specifics, maps and such. I encourage detail, since I'm actually quite interested on people's views.

_________

The other reason I started this, is because I saw several people mention that there should be more quake polls, instead of "There's a poll feature, I don't know what to write so I'll just put in the first thing that comes to my mind!"

Also, since I'm getting into Quake modding, I'll want to tailor the mods to the community for a while as I get into the swing of things. So this gives me an idea of what kind of single player maps you enjoy.
    Quake
    79.17%
    Quake 2
    0.00%
    Quake 3 (Somebody might chose this.)
    12.50%
    Quake 4
    4.17%
    Quake : Enemy Territories
    4.17%
    twitch
    wew lad

Sorry, I had to vote ET:QW even though I never played it. Ignore fact its Q1 website
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

It was a mild hope that perhaps I could see what people liked about the other games.

Oh well, this will be buried pretty quick, I'm sure.
      twitch
      wew lad

Comment

eh whateves
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

apparently it's no longer OK to even mention the other Quake games here.

as for the topic, I like Q1 best because of its monster variety and traps etc, but I also like Quake 4. Q4's weapons and enemies are pretty cool, but the game is completely linear and there are some pointless rail shooter levels in it which I don't enjoy.

Quake 3 and ETQW only have play against bots as single player options, they're multiplayer games really. That said, I do like ETQW quite a lot for its gameplay but no one I know has the game.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I noticed that, it's fine to mention them, or start polls on a quake site about foods. But ask what you thought of the other quake games in contrast to the first perhaps, well. That's just terrible. xD

I can't say I really remember Q4, I might try and find a cheap copy some time soon so I can beat it, but I can't remember much. Though I did enjoy it. It was modernized, but I enjoyed what they did with the material at hand.

Q2 was cool, but I felt like it lacked something. But that's because I would naturally compare it to Q1.

ET looks fun, because I loved WolfET and the idea of concepts from that being put into quake just blew my mind at the time. Because I love Q2/4's settings. But since I never got to play it, I can't really say anything on that.
            twitch
            wew lad

Comment

yeah gb i like q4 for the look and feel. even though by the atmosphere and design was cliche by that point, i still enjoyed it.
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I vote for Quake, but Quake 2 comes very close... I must congratulate Quake 2 for its amazing physics engine. There were so many movements and so many movement-combinations. Players could dodge so many rockets; it was incredible. However, Quake 2 did not have a dark/satanic/mysterious atmosphere. Quake featured a haunting/thrilling atmosphere. Quake put me on the edge of my seat. At that time, I couldn't ask for more.
                "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                X