X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Quakeworld active servers?

Adding Quakeworld active servers?

tastyspleen.net:26666

Each Fridays / Saturdays 19:00-20:00 GMT (not sure when it ends)
    4-8+ people

Yes NO NOW
    What?
    22.22%
    Why not!
    33.33%
    Why... ?
    11.11%
    qwsucks
    33.33%
    Last edited by Mom; 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM.

Hi Mark,
    Just to avoid any confusion, an I right in thinking that if I wanted to join the fun I can not connect to this server using Qrack, Proquake and EngineX, correct? I would therefore need to install and configure something like FTE?

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Darkplaces does the job, FteglQW and my favorite ezQuake.

I'd like to say I'm sure us, the NetQuake community, is not awared that the QuakeWorld community is at its lowest ever... very similar to NQ... I'm sure many here were thinking they had still lot of players which is not the case at all.

In fact, to my own opinion, it seems we now have more "active" players in NQ than QW... believe it or not... or ask someone from QW community.

And I want to say I've been playing QW couple times these last months and it is so close to NQ and... very very funny!!

Screenshot of quakeservers.net, taken just after this Sundays AGR game (around 2:00 GMT Monday 31st March)
      OMC
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mom; 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

ezQuake dev team has called it quits.
        Dont expect any updates if at all from 3.0.

ZQuake is nice, has NQ compatibility but hasnt had any development in YEARS.

If I were to use DP/FTE for something other than Quake(protocol 15), I would play on a DP7 server...
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I'm ready to assume my USI role.Rook, lets combine tactics for the win
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

@Mr. Burns - I like your signature, very clean but packed with things to check out. I never paid attention before (apparently) GJ!

_____

I voted "What?" cause, I don't understand the question.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

To answer the "Why...?" voted by Polarite & Mr. Burns...

Well because it's really fun... come hear some audio effects for example!
              https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

Also it is, from a NQ point of view, a "total remake" of Q1 which makes the game (mod) available for free... so why not play it hehe.
              http://www.mediafire.com/download/rp..._client_v1.zip
              Last edited by Mom; 04-09-2014, 02:46 AM.

Comment

@Mark: I'm not sure I understand the significance of the sound effects but that may be just me As this is a NetQuake website I'm not sure how many people will use the QW servers if they can't connect to them using their usual engine. It's true that it doesn't take much to download and install Spike's impressive FTE, but many people get set in their ways and sometimes become a bit... well... lazy with regard to putting effort in to setting up and trying new things. I'm not saying it's right or wrong as it's merely an observation. Personally my experience on QW servers has not been that great. It seems to be an overly competitive rather than fun experience, but again that's more down to my preference than any shortcomings of QW or the fantastic work that Spike and co have put in to the product.

@MG: Just trying to do my bit, no matter how small That reminds me I better go upload the a couple of mods for port 26010 on the NYC server so I can bring them on line tonight.

Kind regards

Monty
                Mr.Burns
                "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

Quakeworld is not the real deal !
                  Netquake is :-) besides this is a netquake site !!!!

Go to QuakeWorld.nu if you want to play quakeworldsucks.
                  Home Sweet Home = Castle of the Damned e1m2 anyone ??

Comment

mark is globalizing the "let's add qw servers to the list" when all he wants to add is a single server running a qw mod, that maybe 5 people play on a month.
                    might as well add thunderwalker too...

but as mentioned this is netquake not quakeworld site, so not much use.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Personally I actually think Quakeworld was far more comfortable, but I was drawn to a net quake exclusive community. Funny that. :v

(Before somebody makes a pointless comment, I already know why I would find QW more comfortable, but I also think nQ is technically the superior version. Especially now that fiber optic based internet is becoming a thing and will enable incredibly low latency across countries. Thus the issue of latency that nQ has will more or less be eliminated.)
                      Last edited by OMacKnight; 04-23-2014, 05:59 AM.
                      twitch
                      wew lad

Comment

nq's latency will never drop to 0. fibre will not help UK-US connections for instance. such packets often go via space.
                        also, regarding fibre: AT&T's Gigabit Smokescreen - Slashdot
                        QW has prediction, NQ has interpolation (except modern QW engines do too, so...). The only significant differences left are the bunnyhopping+mods - which are often more significant differences on their own than everything else!
                        I'd like to see more engines support both protocols properly, but I doubt that's ever going to happen now, people just don't care so long as they can continue as they are.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                          I'd like to see more engines support both protocols properly, but I doubt that's ever going to happen now, people just don't care so long as they can continue as they are.
                          As Mom/Mark can confirm, I've been preaching this for a long time.

But my latency issues are that I ping over 300 to the US on connections in this part of the country, so fiber would pull me down to 30-50ish, which would enable me to play netquake on more active servers more often. Due to how netquake handles latency, I struggle to play higher than 100 ping.

(I'm saying 30-50 based on times I've used fiber recently in various games, I actually got about 17ms ping to a few west coast servers in CS:S)
                          twitch
                          wew lad

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            ...I'd like to see more engines support both protocols properly, but I doubt that's ever going to happen now, people just don't care so long as they can continue as they are.
                            Unfortunately you may be correct, although let's hope not , but perhaps another way to look at it is do those exact players who are set in their ways currently have the tools and know how to do this with minimum effort? If it was a little easier to join ANY server with their favourite engine, regardless of whether it was NQ or QW, perhaps the idea might get more support.
                            I know you have mentioned before that FTE can connect to NQ servers, and if Baker, Rook and LH were able to make that same leap and enable us to connect to QW servers seemlessly it could be a big step in the right direction. Even though my experience previously was not good I would still be inclined to drop on to a QW server once in a while and give it a try if this were possible with a "unified" regular client.
                            I wonder if a unified server might be a better way. Just off the top of my head, would it be possible to have a server engine (e.g. FTE) running RuneQuake, that would allow any Quake client to connect through the usual ports and play the selected "mode" (QW/NQ) without any client side changes?
                            This is just my humble opinion aimed at understanding the problem a little better so please don't shoot the messenger

Kind regards

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

I voted: "Why not!"

It would be an efficient method of solving many problems in the Quake community. It would also expand the community!
                              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                              X