Poll: How do you use Quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How do you use Quake?

Seems like a good time for a new poll and the best polls are ones that tell us more about why/how people use Quake?

So ... here is the question:

How do you use Quake?

But! Let's expand upon this a little ...

If you do not play custom single player maps --- and a lot of players DON'T -- explain why!

I already know a lot of Quake players don't ever play single player and I think there are perfectly good reasons for this.

There was a time I had never intentionally played a single player custom map. The thought never crossed my mind.

I have a theory on this. I had never played a custom single player map because it required me to do the following:

1. Find a place that had them.
    2. Figure out what wasn't junk.
    3. Download it.
    4. Determine how to I use it.

And I never had any motivation to do any of those. I like playing with other players and single player seemed like the opposite of this and I didn't see how single player would fit into what I like to do --- Quake is a social game; single player is not social at all.

I had a stereotype of single player being shoot boring old Quake monsters in new boring maps. "Why go shoot some grunts and a Shambler in different settings, what could be fun about that??"

Anyway, a new poll. Share with us how you play Quake.
    Multiplayer only - it's social
    14.29%
    Multiplayer only - single player is boring
    7.14%
    Multiplayer only - I like fighting human opponents
    28.57%
    Multiplayer only - custom single player maps are a hassle
    0.00%
    Multiplayer only - don't know why/never thought about it
    0.00%
    I play both multiplayer and single player
    35.71%
    Single player only - owning people doesn't interest me
    2.38%
    Single player only - I like map exploration / atmosphere
    11.90%
    Single player only - Bad internet/lack multiplayer availability
    0.00%
    Single player only - Don't know why
    0.00%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I chose "It's Social", but my reason for not playing much singleplayer anymore is that I've already played through/beaten the game several times. It's nothing compared to multiplayer.

Comment

Multiplayer - Single player is boring.

I've played single player and I just don't really find it all that interesting. Once you've played it once, it's all just the same thing over and over again whereas multiplayer you can have a different type of game every time you play.

Comment

Because we all know, user made singleplayer maps are just id maps with a different entity set loaded for monsters, and we all know that the enemy position and your existing condition has no impact on gameplay if youve ever played against that entity before, be it monster or player.

Quake is a singleplayer game with bitchin deathmatch, and its deathmatch is the way it is because they followed a singleplayer style of game design.

Im fine with people who play just multiplayer, but singleplayer is far from boring. You must just play some boring boring maps.
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

both SP and multiplayer, but more multiplayer than single player. Like sole said, multiplayer is a different game everytime you play. I just download tons of custom single player maps, so I never play the same one twice. It is fun to beat the tar out of some monsters ocasionally.

Comment

We had a poll or thread a couple of months ago, and one of the things that was mentioned about Quake is how difficult it is to get it setup properly.

All of the effort in learning about configs and commands and how a lot of that stuff isn't present in some games, like Doom I guess.

I have some interesting ideas for the future, but I used to think of single player in this manner (some of the above expressed thoughts).

Until I played it. And then after I played some custom single player maps -- good ones -- it changed my perspective.

But I won't kid anyone, I still find it "troublesome" to have to actively find something to play and set it up and you often have to read the "readme" and figure out what engine can run it (sometimes) and what the command line parameters are (some require +map <whatever> or even other things in some instances.) And most of them don't have a convenient way to select the skill level and there isn't 100% of a standard way that they are zipped up either (I've seen a lot of different "instructions").

If it were like a TV where you just pressed a button on a remote control, I think it would be different.

Same goes for setting up Quake.

Anyways, just another thought I had after reading this. I have a funny idea for the future.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I find singleplayer to be very straightforward, particularly considering any recent sp map comes with instructions. And the instructions are usually simple. Put the map file in the map folder (how convoluted) and then in Quake, type in the console 'map mapname' (how obscure!)

There are plenty of great maps out there, as reviewed by Matt Sefton, Shambler, underworldfan, and others. The only trick is finding updated links thanks to most of the file hosts in the gaming community slowly leaving Quake. But for that, we have Spirit, so really as long as we acknowledge Quaddicted, there is no excuse to not be aware of the great sp maps.

Singleplayer is still fun the reason multiplayer is still fun - good design and expandability. Castle of Koohoo exists the same way that ultrav exists - someone contributed something new to it, people downloaded it, read the instructions, and began playing it. They are different beasts, but one is not superior to the other. Though one exists only because the other did in the first place.
              Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

More multiplaya then single because I own singleplayer and multiplayer is a challange.
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Social mostly, not a big DMer, although I'm pretty decent at it.
                  "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Humans are creative beings and can produce unexpected surprises. When I create runes I always keep this in mind and program the runes to have unexpected combos. It keeps things interesting.
                    "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

I love Quake´s dark atmosphere and the great variety of monsters, and discovering secrets.Multiplayer is also nice, and there are times I play only mp but after some while it´s merely run and gun.
                      There´s something about sp that won´t let me go..

Comment

Originally posted by sielwolf
                        I love Quake´s dark atmosphere and the great variety of monsters, and discovering secrets.Multiplayer is also nice, and there are times I play only mp but after some while it´s merely run and gun.
                        There´s something about sp that won´t let me go..
                        Yes, Quake is the only game that has this stuff
                        "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

As much as I like quake and enjoy playing it after not playing for about 7 years or so, Q (neither 1 or 2) never had a good single player (Q4 is an exception, it's not bad there). It's ok to run through it 1s for fun, and maybe 1s again after couple of years when you'll feel bored and will have nothing else to do, but that's about it.
                          It's always a good day when you get laid...

Comment

I Voted for #1 because after 10 years it is just social. Yes I've played alot of the single player maps. Cool as they are it is boring!! UnReal was the bomb for me.. ;Þ But my system couldn't handle it at the time Online so playing offline had to do. Seems it was just as good offline once you found out how to shut the bots up Quake even had some maps around back then that resembled UnReals Aztec maps. Those were pretty cool. My systems have come and gone and so has my map collection. I have no desire to relocate them again. For me it is a Social game now, and playing on a laptop with the sound off 99% of the time will keep it that way. ;Þ
                            www.Net-Tyme.com
                            Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                            Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Working...
                            X