Best Quake Multiplayer Game Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spectre
    I also don't think it's fair to split up CTF into two categories and label non-threewave the "pub" one.
    Bad Solecord! And CTF is his favorite too.

Another thing.. how in the HELL did Team Fortress get left out of this list?
    I wondered that too.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

CTF and TF was so addictive, Also PainKeep, I loved the ability to set traps and follow the guys screaming blood trail...hehehe and those turrets that would spray and not stay...nice short term damage to opponents

Comment

CA, because its the "only" team - oriented quake gaming around now,thats heavily active,and there are tons of players who will mop the floor with your ass,leaving much room for improvement in ones gaming.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I just like CA lol.... Its just Id rather choose it over runes and ohter mods

Comment

I labeled 3wav and pub ctf seperate because they are separate games IMO. Sure it's the same concept, but it's a completely different game. 3wav involves strategy and team play. Pub ctf is basically like runequake with flags. Not many people played with teamplay in mind. Most were usually greedy and didn't save weapons for teammates, etc.

As far as TF and the other mods you listed - they all suck so I didn't put them in

And no I didn't start in 1999 - I've been around since Quake was released.

Comment

Tied for me between CA and RQ, for the following reasons:

I like RQ, and have always played it, but lately I've been a little bored with it. I don't know how else to explain it - it's probably because lately I've been getting killed too easily (too many players on I suppose).

At first I hated CA because I thought you had to master the lightning gun (which I have yet to do) and I thought everyone on there just liked to trash talk, but lately with Mindz help I've improved in the game and gotten to know a few of the regulars there. I've been showing up there more than at RQ (or at RQ I'll watch while I eat dinner and then head to CA).

Anyway, I chose CA since I've been playing it more lately.

Comment

I'd choose threewave

The reason for this, is there is more to it than simply suriving, and killing.
                You have to get armor and stuff (and sure dmers will whine, and say that's what dm is basically without the hook anyways and flags).
                But yeah, it makes you think more and what not and there is a lot more fun gameplay i find... the only thing is....

My wrists are fucked these days, and unfortunately i can't handle 3wave anymore it hurts my wrists to much.... and so i have no choice but to ca instead, and ra.

But still my vote is for 3wave, as it's originally what i started out with... well first ctf then 3wave.... and pretty much 3wave ever since i discovered it back when i was a ctfer.

Cheers.

Comment

I have to say that my early years were spent playing CTF on standard maps (ThreeWave mod) where using the hook is an artform as you can either have that selected or a weapon (of course there are the hookers out there too), and I enjoy a good FFA or 1v1/2v2 on a good map (such as aerowalk). I have never actually played CA however I would like to as it looks like fun. I don't really get on with runequake, not because I can't figure it out but because I can and if I can then anyone can.

My vote goes for ThreeWave (on standard maps) as it is the most fun to play and there is no download equired so more people are willing to try it out.... That and I am world class at running away

Comment

I'd have to say my preferences are for DM (ideally with no quad and no pent), and two fun mods namely Painkeep and an old little known mod called Deathmatchplus written by [DMPC]Crunch which used to be on redrums server in the states.

DM : for it's raw speed, simplicity and agression
                    Painkeep : for it's traps (primarily Bear traps and Autosentries), Gravity wells (which were extremely well done graphically), exploding shells and Chain Lightening.
                    Deathmatch Plus : Excellent Tripwires, useful range of alt weapons (e.g. timed bombs, radio tag bombs, homing rockets, guided rockets, bfg9000) plus the rarely seen super weapons. The servers also tended to run at sv_maxspeed 600 instead of the more common place 320-350 so the pace of the game was fast and furious.

Just my humble opinion )

Kind regards

Monty
                    Mr.Burns
                    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

CA and RA.
                      Steam: chronage

Comment

3wave. It's obvioulsly the best game out there. Ever. Hands down. No questions asked. Because if you like DM, well, throw a hook in and some flags, and make the game even MORE of a challenge. If you like Runequake, just throw runes into 3wave. If you like CA due to it's teaming... 3wave has that too. Overall, no matter what your opinions are, 3wave will always be the best.
                        uakene.com

Comment

3wave would be better without hook

Comment

Best quake "PlayeR"

Why not have new vote for "the best player" of each mods?

I dont wanna start it just suggest it hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                              I labeled 3wav and pub ctf seperate because they are separate games IMO. Sure it's the same concept, but it's a completely different game. 3wav involves strategy and team play. Pub ctf is basically like runequake with flags. Not many people played with teamplay in mind. Most were usually greedy and didn't save weapons for teammates, etc.

As far as TF and the other mods you listed - they all suck so I didn't put them in

And no I didn't start in 1999 - I've been around since Quake was released.
                              I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm over here in Bangkok and a bit bored at the moment.

Your reasoning for splitting CTF into two separate options is a little shaky in my opinion.

You can't separate CTF into two separate "gametypes" just because you feel that the players of one variation choose to neglect core aspects of the gameplay.

...and what about the QW varieties of ALL of these "gametypes?"

What about CA? You didn't break that up into multiple options on this poll and we've got a few different CA mods. Back when we had more servers up and people didn't flock to ONE just because it had the best connection, people would generally stay on a server playing the CA variant they enjoyed most.

If you're going to split up the CTF GAMETYPE into two mods, I want an option for the original Erols CA mod. I'm going to use your logic and say that I think it deserves it's own option here. I don't like the CA+ mod (which was around for ages afterwards) and I generalize that the people who prefer it play and act like complete newbies.

But you wouldn't differentiate like that in this poll, would you? Why? Because that would be stupid! ...Because your poll is supposedly about gametypes, not mods.

CTF, 3wave or not, has the same objectives, gameplay, intended teamplay mechanics, grapple (optional), runes (optional in both), and more in both varieties. If I recall, there's also a 3.12 CTF mod or something that people used to play. Where's that on the list?

Basically, if you're going to create a poll about gametypes here, you can't confuse that with "mods."

One more thing before I go back to playing CounterStrike with a bunch of crazy screaming 15 year old Thai's in a net cafe: You LEFT Team Fortress out because it "sucks?" You asshole. Team fortress was and is probably still to this day the most popular and commonly played multiplayer mod Quake1 has. Check QW server listings if you don't believe me. I play it all the time on servers with shitloads of people to this day.

Anyway, if I remember the results page correctly from before I clicked reply, CTF's combined threewave/pub score wins the "best quake gametype poll."

End of story! Hooray!

P.S. -- If you HAD included TF in the poll, I might have seriously considered voting for that.

Comment

Straight DM can be split up into multiple categories as well. There's FFA DM, Team DM, and 1v1 DM; all are distinctly different.

I voted for 3wave CTF, since that is where I had the most fun playing quake back in its heyday.
                                Last edited by PapaSmurf; 04-10-2007, 10:56 AM. Reason: added a comment

Comment

Working...
                                X