No announcement yet.

Inverted or Retarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to set my laptop to inverted mouse to discourage other people from asking me to use my laptop to surf the net and instead ask someone else.

I am somewhat surprised by the number of people who use inverted mouse for Quake, but not so surprised as to have consistently lobbied for it to be a main option in the options menu in modified engines.

I myself can't play with inverted but I bet I'd get used to it. The biggest adjustment I ever made was switching from normal to -dinput, which took 2 weeks to adjust to but improved my vertical aim so much.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      I am somewhat surprised by the number of people who use inverted mouse for Quake, but not so surprised as to have consistently lobbied for it to be a main option in the options menu in modified engines.
      Inverted mouse has been an option in the quake menu since dosquake and winquake.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I used to set my laptop to inverted mouse to discourage other people from asking me to use my laptop to surf the net and instead ask someone else.

I myself can't play with inverted but I bet I'd get used to it. The biggest adjustment I ever made was switching from normal to -dinput, which took 2 weeks to adjust to but improved my vertical aim so much.
        I could possibly adapt also, but i more then likely never will heh.

I don't see a difference in using -dinput? Could you or someone explain in detail exactly what it does? I've used it and not used it with no difference in my mouse?
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by PapaSmurf View Post
          Inverted mouse has been an option in the quake menu since dosquake and winquake.
          Some of the more modified engines have menu systems that have revised the main options menu.

Case in point, a few years back JoeQuake 0.15 removed "Go to console" from the options menu. (So if you unbind all your keys, you have no way to get to the console to either manually bind or re-execute your config.cfg)

Notably missing from id Software Quake is the mouselook option in the menu.

I don't see a difference in using -dinput? Could you or someone explain in detail exactly what it does? I've used it and not used it with no difference in my mouse?
          Windows overlays mouse input by your display aspect ratio.

This is so using the desktop the mouse movement is consistent.

Windows also adds mouse acceleration to make using the mousepointer more efficient.

It's not just Windows actually, it's all operating systems but with Windows DirectInput is the long supported way to bypass Windows and get the mouse input directly without acceleration or aspect ratio correction.

This means that regardless of resolution or your personal desktop settings, the reaction Quake has to your mouse movement is consistent and has a 1:1 aspect ratio.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

-dinput is the bees knees

Comment

Working...
            X