Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should the hook totally replace the axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should the hook totally replace the axe?

post you responses!
    yes- axe sucks
    5.26%
    yes- more manuverability
    5.26%
    no- need axe when out of ammo
    42.11%
    no- hook ruins exploration
    47.37%
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Nope, no sense in the hook replacing the axe unless ita made into a weapon which in some mods it is but also has an axe when button not pushed twice.

Comment

uoutchyogawddaammiendboie!

You cant kill the metal.

I'm old school.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA]The Metal - Tenacious D - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWaXZB8Gf40[/ame]
      Last edited by Phenom; 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Make the ax more powerful like more damage for striking a player from behind, and for when the axe is ran into. The hook is ok but it ought not be able to pull the player faster than he can move.

Comment

Hook and runes ruins Quake for me. Especially on Shmack with the overpowered runes.

Sucks too because I like the hook on some mods and some runes on dead mods, but they don't get any play anymore.....
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Comment

couldnt agree more with phenom.

personally i dont like that kinda stuff in quake.
            they're just downright ridiculous and idiotic imo. just like bunnyhopping and rocketjumping....

like cmon, wtf...are we playing a shooter, or some bunnyhop or tarzan-swing-around game?

such kinda BS doesnt belong in shooters imo, for me it totally ruins it if i am playing a shooter and someone comes bouncing by or such, or flying past using a grappling hook.
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post

they're just downright ridiculous and idiotic imo. just like bunnyhopping and rocketjumping....

like cmon, wtf...are we playing a shooter, or some bunnyhop or tarzan-swing-around game?

such kinda BS doesnt belong in shooters imo, for me it totally ruins it if i am playing a shooter and someone comes bouncing by or such, or flying past using a grappling hook.
              I don't see any problem with rocketjumping especially in DM since you take damage for it and lose a rocket but when you go... "Damn this shambler! *Hooks over shambler to exit*" you might as well of typed "fly" in console.
              It's better then the fly command because you move faster! wth? ON TO OF THAT IF IT HITS YOU YOUR DEAD!? we cheat in broad daylight now?

Nah, the cheating part was a bit much, but still...

Hook has it's place I suppose. Though I think it removes a large chunk of fun and exploration from the game and introduces wackyness and dulled skills.

I don't really like cracking on RuneQuake, I personally think a few of those runes need to be disabled. Not because "I can't figure out how to get around the deathspot/ice traps you flooded the teleporter destination with" but "because you choose to spam the teleporter destination with icetraps/deathspots." what is the fun of joining a server just to be instantly sucked into a vortex over and over while you have "ThE RuN3 0F WacKyNess". Sure you could hook away but then you have to deal with radiated areas, ice traps, deathspots,some weird shit where you teleport for no reason, RL constantly switching to some much less powerful weapon, secondary weapons and most of their wack effects.

It just seems more like the play area at Mcdonalds where all the little kids are running around the colorful maze and have their own little magical imaginative adventures while they slide down and crawl across. That's exactly what RuneQuake reminds me of though, I can't help it, you try playing since 1996 and tell me "Runes are grrrreat!" I just don't get the attraction at the level it gets.

Think I found a new intrest in COOP though, ED HELMS, Crow and me were kickn some ass last night
              Last edited by Phenom; 05-13-2012, 01:56 PM.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Comment

I really dont even understand the question.
                The hook is used to navigate around the map 3 time the speed of walking.
                not to forget u can airstrafe and bunny hop. So its an fN vehicle.

The axe is just used to piss people off in water or a last result.

the feel of the hook, airstrafing was my lure to staying in Quake.
                No other game has that feel.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

In my opinion if hook replaced axe, it should become a Mace/hook.

So you mash your oponent.

Therefore, it'll be very much the same as axe, only would have more seamless flow, since dbl clicking of mouse fire could (fire the hook and holding fire would work the same for holding onto the cling, and releasing fire to unhook).

That would be an ok, change.

But i agree, axe is needed for when out of ammo.

Comment

The original ctf hook was never able to do that. Think of what a real grappling hook is used for , to scale a wall at an extremely low speed.....theres no way in natural physics you can pull yourself on a rope faster than you can run. to me it makes the game look rather cartoonish.

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    The hook is used to navigate around the map 3 time the speed of walking..

Comment

Thats ok, ever watch DarkWing Duck?
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2UFFzPsSsg[/ame]
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post

I agree with 95% of this. Though rocket jumping and bunny hopping are classics in even classic DM (by that I mean, non rune quake) everything else like runes, hook, it just ruins it for me. I might not ever go back to the RQ server. The hook makes using the maps the right way and getting the tele porters and secrets the way they were meant to be got completely moot. It isn't Quake, it's quake for dumb bells.

No offense to anyone who likes the server of course ^^
                        God be with you Ireland...

Comment

who came up with the hook anyway?

and for the record, i think the hook adds a little variety to the game. its cool to be able to zoom around the map and camp on a wall. runes on the otherhand, really ruin the balance of the game.
                          My Avatars!
                          Quake Leagues
                          Quake 1.5!!!
                          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                            who came up with the hook anyway?

and for the record, i think the hook adds a little variety to the game. its cool to be able to zoom around the map and camp on a wall. runes on the otherhand, really ruin the balance of the game.
                            I would have to say most of the runes in RuneQuake remove a lot of the original concept of the multiplayer game.

IHOC had 4 runes? regen, haste, strength and resistance, very simple and they acted more like a big buff then a full on guaranteed kill*Just place on spawn point*. IHOC also had the hook and played on regular maps.

Which makes me wonder why IHOC died like it did, It was almost a perfect balance between dm and runes+hook.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Comment

Working...
                            X