Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should telefragging be abolished from deathmatch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should telefragging be abolished from deathmatch?

I voted yes, because telefragging is too easy for a player to score. What do you think?
    Yes
    9.68%
    No
    90.32%
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Nope, because this is apart of the game. It's like abolishing spam, or abolishing players that have a certain playstyle.

The word abolish makes me cringe unless its followed by the word kimp, and then a truck.

in 3...2.....1....
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

a little randomness and comic value can be good, even if its pure dumb luck.
      timing it with teleporters is an art form. your victim shouldn't have been standing there.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        a little randomness and comic value can be good, even if its pure dumb luck.
        timing it with teleporters is an art form. your victim shouldn't have been standing there.
        spike has it. if you stand on a teleporter prepare to pay the price!
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Voted no.
          All part of the game yes.

Comment

Back in the CA+ days, for some odd reason Telefrags was 100% predictable...

as in , you follow guy through teleporter = he gets telefragged.

Now days in CAx , the weirdest shit can happen, like for example , I am really good about following players through the Teleporters and attempting to telefrag them, but I've witnessed a explosion of reversal TELEFRAGS (you go in AFTER the guy,but get telefragged by him instead ?!!)

R00k was explaining it to me one day and something about ;

Triggers

LOL I just know that some of my tricks-of-the-trade have become less of a garuntee to have the desired results!!
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
              Back in the CA+ days, for some odd reason Telefrags was 100% predictable...

as in , you follow guy through teleporter = he gets telefragged.

Now days in CAx , the weirdest shit can happen, like for example , I am really good about following players through the Teleporters and attempting to telefrag them, but I've witnessed a explosion of reversal TELEFRAGS (you go in AFTER the guy,but get telefragged by him instead ?!!)

R00k was explaining it to me one day and something about ;

Triggers

LOL I just know that some of my tricks-of-the-trade have become less of a garuntee to have the desired results!!
              the telefrag god is not happy with this one.
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

(you go in AFTER the guy,but get telefragged by him instead ?!!)
                That would be an own goal!
                "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Telefrags are part of Quake's design...

You folks seem to be forgetting that 'Telefrags' is how Quake's singleplayer is ultimately won at the end...
                  Surely players should get to do that to each other.
                  We're talking about a game that involves a hella lotta teleportation not only in the gameplay but even in the storyline.
                  Why shouldn't teleporters be used as weapons just as well as any other 'guns' in the game?

Besides, there are plenty of factors, like if your opponent has the Pentegram of Protection (and thus reverses it)...
                  That there are a lot of game factors involved with Telefragging in Quake as there are with other more 'weapon use' elements of Quake seems to imply that they are important to Quake's 'game skill' as well...

I'd say maybe work on trying to make them less random... avoid players telefragging each other at the start from too few player spawnpoints in the map and all that.
                  If you aren't playing a mod that's heavy on Telefrags then they are pretty rare anyway.
                  I would support maybe making them less frequent (if they aren't totally rare already) to happen entirely by accident and maybe just a tad easier to do on purpose--
                  I know telefragging on purpose shouldn't be 'made easier'-- but to get a greater contrast between 'luck telefrags' and 'skill telefrags' and offset the proportions more to skill then maybe make telefrags just a TAD easier to do...
                  at least in design if not so much in execution. I mean nobody wants to have to worry more about telefrags... but if they happened less by luck and more by patient timing... that might make 'em more rewarding.
                  This would probably only even further widen the 'scoring gap' between more skilled players and less skilled players 'cause even chance frags are reduced... but who knows... maybe they will be more motivated to try more ways to play competitively.

Comment

teleport = strongest q1 weappon of all

Comment

...as in , you follow guy through teleporter = he gets telefragged....LOL I just know that some of my tricks-of-the-trade have become less of a garuntee to have the desired results!!
                      Strangely enough in Quake Deathmatch Plus teleporting is one of the weapons. If you go to qrf.servequake.com:26012 and stock up on some cells you can use the teleporter impulses (16 and 17 as i recall) to [re]set your teleport point, move to somewhere else on the level and then teleport in to it. It can be quite a life saver if you have someone like Polarite running you down, set your recall point whilst you are moving and then teleport in to it 2 seconds later when he runs across it
                      I seem to recall one of the Runequake runes does something similar.

So as frustrating as it can be to get telefragged, it's a no vote from me.

Kind regards

Monty
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

No, but telefragging should NOT be included in the stats

Yes, this was a bug in like v0.1 CAx
                        Code:
                        	makevectors(other.angles);
                        	v_forward_z = 0 - v_forward_z;
                        	org = t.origin + 32 * v_forward;

if (other.health)
                        	setorigin (other, t.origin);    // Moved to here
                        	else
                        	setorigin (other, org);

other.velocity = v_forward * vlen(other.velocity);

spawn_tfog (org);
                        	spawn_tdeath(t.origin, other);
                        Personally I think it looks silly to have that particle effect spawning forward + 32(qu). It seems to me that was there only for the player's pov in game, but i kinda looks off in multiplayer screenshots. I think like in startrek the tele-spawn should not have forward movement and the particle 'fog' should spawn over the telepad.
                        Last edited by R00k; 02-25-2013, 04:30 AM.
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^
                          I don't think I've noticed the forward movement Rook. Is it only with certain engines or common across the board? Is there a screenie of it somewhere to show what you're referring to?

On the subject of Telefragging is it possible to use the Painkeep bone crunching telefrag noise in normal Quake? ...and if so how do i do it? I'm guessing it's copy some wav to id1/sounds/ or something like that?

Kind regards
                          Monty
                          Mr.Burns
                          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                              You make a good point there R00k... That teleporter effect seems to be coming out of the player and not out of the teleport destination itself...
                              Isn't it always supposed to come out of the end-point of the teleporter regardless of the player's 'added forward momentum' afterwards?
                              I guess it depends on the type of teleporter.
                              If you want to give a star-trek 'beam me up' effect where players themselves fade into and out of visiblity that might make more sense.
                              However considering how in Quake the teleporters are themself non-moving portals through spacetime it'd make more sense that the 'teleport effect'
                              stays at either end of the 'teleporters' themselves and players just rush quickly out the other end.

Comment

Working...
                              X