Should the NFL get rid of safeties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the NFL get rid of safeties?

In the NFL, some people consider a safety as an own goal (it is worth two points).

But I doubt that it is a scoring play. I only see it as a defensive play. (What caused the ball to hit the end zone in the first place?)

What do you think?
    Yes
    11.11%
    No
    88.89%
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

no, because in my opinion being able to pull one off is good enough to deserve the points that come with it.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

hehe.... SAFETY in Football ; In American football, it is the only means by which a team not in possession of the football can score points short of an Interception / run back full for TouchDown.

The rules make perfect sense. It allows an AWESOME defense (Oakland Raiders) to push the Offensive team's line of scrimmage back into the inzone. It's the equivilant to a 5 - 0 in Clan Arena X in my opinion,or getting GRAPED.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

rofl, i thought this meant the position of safeties. i was gonna say someone has never watched a single minute of football..

still, no, safeties are a serious feat to accomplish for many reasons. u get 2 points, and u get the ball back from a punt deep on the other side of the field (so u get good field position). add to to that, the fact that it's such a hard thing to do, and they happen so rarely, the defense that forced the safety literally changes the momentum of the game (if momentum was against them at all in the first place) but undoubtedly, the offense of the team sees how well their defensive squad is playing, and it amps them up to atleast match, if not out-do their defensive team's performance.

No safeties, are a rare thing of beauty and has a lot of weight and meaning to the entire team that "gets" a safety, and is almost always detrimental to the team (especially the ever important psyche of the opposing quarterback).

Safeties both the defensive position and the scoring play are an absolute necessity.
        "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

Safety should get more points and credit not be eliminated you clown.
          WARNING
          May be too intense for some viewers.
          Stress Relief Device
          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
          ---------------------------
          .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
            Safety should get more points and credit not be eliminated you clown.
            Yah I know right, I mean, Defensive team's job isnt to score,so when they do,please acknowledge with more pts.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

no they should get rid of extra points. Touchdown = 7 and call it done.

Not sure on the exact stats but for the last decade almost 99% are made a year.

Chances of missing one are slim and chances of missing one and that 1 point actually costing you the game is even slimmer.

So it is kind of a pointless play these days, waste of time, waste of risking injuries.

They should do this:

Touchdown = 7 Points. (You score you can move on and bank 7)
              ATTEMPT at an Extra Point (2 point conversion) = 8 Points. 1 point awarded
              FAILED at 2 Point conversion = 6 Points (you lose a point)

OR Keep it as is and move the Extra Point back 10-15 Yards. Make it worth something.

Comment

Safety should be worth 20 points, and a. Pat on the buns

Comment

Originally posted by powerzord View Post
                  Safety should be worth 20 points, and a. Pat on the buns
                  once again im thinking of hamburger and hot dog buns....DAMN YOU POWERZORD!!
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                  X