hd vs classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hd vs classic

do you like HD graphics, effects, and such? Or you a purist, who likes the graphics and effects as vanilla as possible?
    HD graphics and effects, modern look
    61.54%
    original graphics and effects, classic look
    38.46%

The poll is expired.

My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

depends really.
    vanilla graphics are at least of decent quality, or blury enough that any lack of quality doesn't grate too much.
    much of the replacement content is garish or plain rubbery. retexturing a box-with-a-gun simply results in a pretty-box-with-a-gun. its still a box, of course.
    plus there's the load times thing.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      depends really.
      vanilla graphics are at least of decent quality, or blury enough that any lack of quality doesn't grate too much.
      much of the replacement content is garish or plain rubbery. retexturing a box-with-a-gun simply results in a pretty-box-with-a-gun. its still a box, of course.
      plus there's the load times thing.
      On loading time,Yea, we are talking the difference of atleast 30+ seconds for initial startup , and not to mention when changing maps its a night and day difference in load times.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

From what I've seen in some of the posts on the forums the results can be quite spectacular. Unfortunately I've not had the opportunity to play using any of this, so baring in mind Mindz's experience one has to wonder what impact this could have on gameplay where Quake's speed and fluidity are key elements for most players.

A couple of other things spring to mind:
        1. With the click and go culture of many modern games, how difficult is it set these textures up en mass. If it requires 3+ hours of a relatively inexperienced player finding out what has to go where along with some general fiddling to make a box look slightly different then this may deter some users.
        2. How portable are the enhanced graphics. Once you know what you want and have spent time and effort downloading it, reading through the readme files, putting in the right locations and getting it to look great in Qrack, how easy is that to port to EngineX, FTE, Darkplaces, etc given some engines use different paths/formats/etc ? A good example of this is the SMC mod for DP which looks very interesting but as I understand it it can't be used in anything else.

Some controlled and well managed cross pollination of ideas, capabilities and standards between engines might not be a bad thing and you never know it could make this process much easier.

[Just my humble two pence / cents worth]

Kind regards

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Hello syluxman2803,

Often it is not a matter of personal liking.
          It is a matter of what you play.

Your question can be broke down to:
          - multi player
          - single player

In multiplayer you must use this graphic set to have a chance to win on the big tournaments, because you need to keep the total overview and every split second delay can kill you:

In single player the only thing that limits your playing pleasure is your computers power. So you can dare to use this graphic set, to "dive" into the world you are playing in.

Of course there are also the classic die-hards, who would never play gl-mode and prefer software-mode with original look.
          I think most of the "younger" generation Quake players prefer the so called "HD" version.

Kind regards,
          Seven

Comment

It depends of the quality of the HD mods. Usually special effects (particles, water reflection, explosions, etc) are easier to look good in old games than, for example, ultra HD textures, because a low poligonal model will still be a low poligonal model and will look weird with more detailed textures. The same apply to low detailed maps with HD textures - and sometimes those new textures may look bad aligned because the map authors designed them with different references in mind (low-res textures).

I usually like HD models (with at least decent animations) and specially better special effects but dislike High-res texture packs for that reason.

With that said, I don't know with option I would vote in the poll (probably the first one, despite I've been playing Quake with DirectQ - it's almost vanilla Quake). =P

Comment

i like both. i really enjoy all the fancy effects and hi-poly models and such, but from time to time its fun too to play the game in its original state and look, without any replacements and such and with texture-filter set to lowest so you get that retro pixely look to the textures.

although overall i prefer to play quake and other old games with clients with hd textures and models and effects and such.

but from time to time i most definitely enjoy playing these games with the old classic look and feel.

cuz playing them like that reminds me of playing them when i was still a kid, and of how i used to play them for years before i found out there were clients with replacement textures and models and effects and such
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I voted for HD... It's kinda like watching something on the big screen. (Big screen vs. Small screen... I pick the big screen.)
                "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

I chose original because my pc is slow and can't haul the HD graphic load, but when i had my gaming pc instead of this basic one, I would only use HD graphic engines and add-ons and stuff to make it look awesome in single player mode, for online play I love the speed of classic rustic quake, the effects can be distracting.. but for single player there is no other way to play other than HD effects if you have the right kind of pc to handle it

Comment

I like both.

Classic for multiplayer dm,ffa,1-1.
                    HD for single player and online coop.

But when i'm lazy I play dm in HD from my bed on my bigg screen
                    My servers for the gamers:
                    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                    Offline ATM
                    fvf.servequake.com
                    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                    Offline ATM
                    newdm.servequake.com
                    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                    sigpic

Comment

I like both too. I don't play MP anymore, but for SP I get nostalgic and play software mode sometimes. Other times I want to see how far I can push it and my PC
                      Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Original all the way.

Personally I find that high-colour is more important than high-resolution, and all replacements I've seen seem to just stick to the same old 8-bit palette but just bump up the resolution.
                        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I prefer original software/pixel style
                          Last edited by sock; 02-01-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

As faithful as possible.
                            www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Comment

Working...
                            X