Darkplaces Fullscreen Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces Fullscreen Problem

I have been out of the quake loop for a bit and have just got a new PC so I decided to get the game up and running. I went with darkplaces (not sure if this is the best source) as I am running windows 7 64 bit. The game loads fine but the problem I am having is getting it to work correctly in full screen (windowed is fine).

No matter what resolution I set it to the menu and cursor are always in the bottom right of the screen. I am running it on a HD TV and even the native resolution does this. My video card is a 7750 and I have the latest catalyst divers installed.

I searched on the forum but couldn't find the exact answer to this so any help is appreciated.

i think i know your issues i play on a tv too and to see the computer small tipe you can go and set the ease of access to zoom the screen and everything looks good and you can read the typing but when you play quake its all jacked up... go to ease of access and reset it to the normal size. i do not think your issues is in quake. i should have my win 7 computer working agin soon and can help you more when i do.

if i rember right go to the control panel, ease of access, and make shire everything is set to 100% not higher.

let me know if that helps. i deleted and reinstalled quake 5 times before i figured out that the issues was not quake.

and if your gonna play on your tv may as well hook up a blue tooth controller like a wii mote or xbox 360 or ps3 with glove pie (google it and check for my controller coda in the works in progress)

Comment

Nice one that sorted it. I knew it would be something simple like that. I will be using a 360 pad so I will check out what you mentioned.

Comment

my code is for the wii mote but dark places has some kind of xbox 360 option so you may not even need golvepie for it but i dont know anything about it. but i know glovepie can work with knex so if you set up a glovepie code for it be shure to post it and if you cant get the dp xbox 360 option to work you can use glovepie i would think. its nice to see some one elce playing the way i do!

Comment

Well back in the day I would only play fps with a mouse and keyboard, but playing from the sofa just has to be a gamepad!!!

Comment

I have a different problem fitting under the same title.

I installed Quake on a "new" laptop yesterday, and I can't run Darkplaces in full screen on it, really. I have to set it to the exact same resolution the Windows-desktop has set up, but the laptop can't handle that. The framerate drops below playability (Packard Bell bought in 2012, I think, running Windows 7... ?!?) if I do that.
            If I reduce the resolution, which I would like to do anyways, because I like it to look old-school, it doesn't reduce the resolution and fits it to the screen - it shrinks the image down, leaving a huge black border around it, ultimately becoming nothing but a thumbnail in the middle of a black screen.

I guess/hope there's an easy solution to that.
            The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
            - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

That sort of behavior is generally affected by your video card's control panel.

I'm not on a Windows system right now to check what the setting is called, but there should be some sort of setting you can configure to allow the displayed image to be scaled to fill the screen while preserving aspect ratio.

Comment

Relevant thread:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ullscreen.html

It seems that, with my Intel chipset, I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F11 in the game to adjust the "Panel Fitting." Then I have to re-set the resolution when I return to Windows. Fortunately I can run 1600x900 just fine.

I do wonder why Qrack does it just fine on its own.
                Last edited by gulliver-trans; 04-09-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly the problem I'm having. Except that updating the video drivers didn't change anything

there should be some sort of setting you can configure to allow the displayed image to be scaled to fill the screen while preserving aspect ratio
                  Yes, there is and I activated it. But Darkplaces doesn't listen. Even when I activate that I want everything stretched to full screen, ignoring aspect ratio, it still doesn't work with DP.

I do wonder why Qrack does it just fine on its own.
                  Qrack doesn't work at all on this machine. It shows the menu but crashes the moment I want to start the game.

I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F11 in the game to adjust the "Panel Fitting."
                  This actually worked, but it's more than annoying because every time I use this method, all the icons on my desktop get shuffled around to fit the lower resolution the game had
                  - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by Inkshock View Post
                    Yes, that's exactly the problem I'm having. Except that updating the video drivers didn't change anything
                    Yeah. I actually lost some (inconsequential) graphics options by updating. Hehe.

Qrack doesn't work at all on this machine. It shows the menu but crashes the moment I want to start the game.
                    How oldschool do you wanna go? There's always Winquake

This actually worked, but it's more than annoying because every time I use this method, all the icons on my desktop get shuffled around to fit the lower resolution the game had
                    Yeah. Same. And this is a bit much, eh?: Save and Restore Desktop icon layout in Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista - The Winhelponline Blog

Comment

How oldschool do you wanna go? There's always Winquake
                      I usually like my Quake to look like vanilla DOS Quake - I can do that using ProQuake, which works fine.
                      But I need the engine to support external texture replacements for what I'm doing right now.

And this is a bit much, eh?
                      Yes, it is. I don't want to have to go through all this every time I start the game to try something out, I worked on.

I tried updating the display drivers, I tried every setting the driver has, I tried almost every engine I could find, I tried it on 4(!) different computers and not a single combination of hard- and software works the way I need

Funny how on a 2.3 GHz PC even the old Telejano engine drops to 8-15 fps when moving and shooting at the same time, but back when I had the exact same program on my old 200 MHz Intel 2 everything worked fluently and well.

There's only one PC left in my home, that is capable of running DP, but that's not a portable one, so I can't take it to night shift. Which means I can't really work on this on my Quake stuff, which means I can't work on Quake at all right now
                      - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

I usually like my Quake to look like vanilla DOS Quake - I can do that using ProQuake, which works fine.
                        But I need the engine to support external texture replacements for what I'm doing right now.

[...]

There's only one PC left in my home, that is capable of running DP, but that's not a portable one, so I can't take it to night shift. Which means I can't really work on this on my Quake stuff, which means I can't work on Quake at all right now

Hello Inkshock,

If you need an engine with replacement support, why you want to stick with Darkplaces ?
                        FTE can do pretty much everything that DP can do (if not more) and is much less performance hungry.

It is a pity if you cannot work on Quake just because of this issue.
                        Give FTE a try and see if your laptop can better run it.
                        I am looking forward to your work

Best of luck.

Comment

Does some version of FitzQuake Mark V do what you need?

ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake
                          Last edited by gulliver-trans; 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

If you need an engine with replacement support, why you want to stick with Darkplaces ?
                            I don't need to stick with DP, but it's the most recent one among those that run at all. Most engines just crash on me

I am looking forward to your work
                            Don't, it's very underwhealming and may never leave my home.

Does some version of FitzQuake Mark V do what you need?

ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake
                            The only ProQuake that runs at all on my machines is ProQuake+
                            - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Might try DirectQ. It does 640x480 fullscreen for me. And it does external wall textures (like QRP) automatically. Dunno about skins.

Direct3D Quake | Free Games software downloads at SourceForge.net
                              Last edited by gulliver-trans; 04-11-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X