Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating texture replacements (Models and rushes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, obviously not the same place for golden_boy (thanks for posting the pic).

Comment

After a day of frustration, i got the models to work.
      now to fix the textures lighting problems.
      also i would like to know how to create a single pack (pk3) file for textures.
      I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
      But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

to make a pk3, just simply make a zip with normal compression and then manually rename the file-extension to pk3

also, if you are using textures which you add inside the model, have a look at this: http://quakewiki.org/wiki/Quake_palette
        then there you can see your problem, you are most liely using colors on the bottom line, which are colors which will always be rendered at full brightness
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
          to make a pk3, just simply make a zip with normal compression and then manually rename the file-extension to pk3

also, if you are using textures which you add inside the model, have a look at this: Quake palette - Quake Wiki
          then there you can see your problem, you are most liely using colors on the bottom line, which are colors which will always be rendered at full brightness
          How could I make it to where parts of the texture cannot be rendered at full bright?

Comment

@shambler
            just simply change the pixels to a color on one of the other lines which is closest.

but easier would be to instead make replacement textures which arent implented inside the model, those are never rendered at fullbright, and then you can use more higher resolutions and 16bit colors instead of 256colors

that, and you wont need to supply people with a modified model but only the texture
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@shambler
              just simply change the pixels to a color on one of the other lines which is closest.

but easier would be to instead make replacement textures which arent implented inside the model, those are never rendered at fullbright, and then you can use more higher resolutions and 16bit colors instead of 256colors

that, and you wont need to supply people with a modified model but only the texture
              how can i make a replacement texture?
              Do i have to save it as the monster skin Like: Wizard_0 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Shambler234 View Post
                how can i make a replacement texture?
                Do i have to save it as the monster skin Like: Wizard_0 or something.
                Yes. Just save it like this.

Comment

yes, and if you wanna name them for use with darkplaces it should be wizard.mdl_0 and you need to drop them in the progs folder

Comment

yes, and if you wanna name them for use with darkplaces it should be wizard.mdl_0 and you need to drop them in the progs folder
                    Correct

Comment

What about the textures for PK3?

Comment

Hi Shambler234,
                        just .zip your \progs folder and rename this .zip to .pk3.
                        You have to delete everything you wont share of course....

Comment

Sorry about bumping thread but what about adding normaliztion to the texture?

Comment

just make another texture and give it the same name as the normal texture but add _norm add the end of the file-name.
                            like for scrag the name for the normal-map should be wizard.mdl_0_norm

for other maps....
                            gloss-map: add _gloss
                            luma: add _luma
                            glow: add _glow
                            bump-map: add _bump

glossmap= for making a texture be glossy, like metal/chrome or such.
                            looks at darkness of gloss-texture. white is superglossy, black is no gloss.

luma-map= full-bright, anything thats not black will be shown at full brightness at all time and wont be affected by lighting
                            pixels which you want to be shown at full brightness should be drawn in the color you want them to show up as

glow-map= same as luma pretty much but more subtle, allows you to make parts be 'glowing'. once again, black is no glow.

luma-map you'll wanna use for if a part of a texture should be displayed at full brightness at all times,
                            glow-map is more for making part of a texture be glowing instead, like small lights on a weapon or such
                            use either, not both. if one is present the other isnt needed
                            Last edited by talisa; 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

@golden_boy

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do you install scripts into Blender?? I'm trying to play with it a little now and was wondering if you could explain the simple way before I google it.

Regards

Comment

You put your scripts into the scripts/addons subfolder of your Blender installation. You often have to enable them in the User preferences afterwards (by ticking the checkbox next to the plugin).
                                Scout's Journey
                                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                                X