Visible Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@animations

hah, that's why I didn't finish it for you. I didn't feel like figuring it out. The animations are in there somewhere. Probably in shape keys but I never use that feature (or mdl for that matter) so, I don't know what to do. Dutch can probably help you from this point.

Or maybe if TeaMonster or Blutz is still around...Those guys are a lot more familiar with the mdl format than I am. A few years ago I went through the entire process but, I have forgotten almost all of it. The anims are there you just have to figure out where. If for some reason they really aren't because there was something I was supposed to do but didn't...I wrote the instructions for everything I did in my last post, just redo my work without missing the step I missed. Honestly, I don't know what step I could have missed. The mdl import didn't give me any options,..
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-03-2016, 05:05 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

The animations are definitely there. I'll be damned if I know how to use that though. Shape keys were always a weakness for me. I use armatures.

EDIT: I seem to remember something about having to select all the shape keys before export. If that's true, you should be able to just do that and bring the exported model to QME for the rest.

Comment

DO NOT USE THAT FILE!!!!!

I am making you a new one. I know what I did wrong. When I joined the models I joined the player to the gun. Doing so removed the anims from the player. I am fixing it for you. Maybe, just maybe, I will get to a point where you have something to go straight to qme

Comment

OK, I am completely fed up. I'm sorry, If I keep going with this I am going to seriously lose my cool. Mdl file format is junk bro and the errors I keep getting in blender are a vicious circle. I know how to use blender and I have this mdl set up properly with textures, uvs, everything yet it keeps telling me that shit doesn't even exist. I don't know how you guys work with this crappy "not even alpha" mdl plugin. It seems like it would be better to use blender 2.49b and the old old old mdl plugin. I'm not wasting the rest of my Birthday on this shit.

E: this is how junky that plugin is

I opened up the player model and immediately saved it without doing anything and it threw errors. What kind of complete fucking garbage is that? You can go straight in but you can't go straight back out? How does QuakeForge even release something so shitty? Imagine if everything worked like that, nothing would ever get done. It is shameful that I could do better than this in javascript. These plugins have a whole 3d suite at their disposal and all they have to do is get and parse mdl data. What's the problem? Why is this shitty? It should be awesome and pretty damn simple. Especially when you consider that they don't seem to have any problem getting the data into blender. Just do the fucking opposite of whatever you did to get it in. I don't doubt that there may be some hitches but seriously, there are a gazillion various fully working model parsers for blender go read one and figure the shit out @ QuakeForge.

I program in Python. If I didn't have a project that is already way too fucking big for one person I might be tempted to write a plugin that actually works. Who knows maybe one day on a side note I'll get a wild hair to do so.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-03-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Download my updated Quake Guy, or CapnBub's updated Quake Guy. Open the blender file and merge your gun in. Delete the original gun, and attach all of your gun's vertices to the gun bone. UV unwrap the gun in the same area as the original gun, and modify the texture to include your gun's texture (looks like the resolution shouldn't change too much, but will probably have to be smaller).

The beauty of this, is there is zero 'fucking around'...all the transition work will yield positive results. Modifying an MDL is a bitch and half (as gypsy just proved), cause QME sucks and I don't know anything about shape keys in blender. Myself and CapnBubs (and a few others around) have re-created quake guy from the ground up and have included very clean blender files for modification. You modify the model, the texture, the armature, whatever else you want within blender, and simply export as an MDL. Done.

If you REALLY must have the original model, you'll have to follow my advice in my first post (after the EDIT, where you are simply altering the texture after merging and then sliding UV coordinates around to match up again within QME...like I said, bitch and a half, but that's how I did it when I made visible weapon models back when I started on my first mod).

Mind if I ask where you got that gun? It looks sweet. I'm only assuming you didn't make it because you say you're new at modeling, and there's a lot of very experienced work on the gun, particularly the UV and texture. Zero distortion and no wasted space. Either that, or you're a natural. Lol.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

looks like its the plasma-gun from loga_m's "alternate gun models for quake"
              Alternative Gun Models for Quake - Mod DB
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                looks like its the plasma-gun from loga_m's "alternate gun models for quake"
                Alternative Gun Models for Quake - Mod DB
                Cool, thanks. I can appreciate the work in all of them, very nice. But the plasma gun is my favorite. Would make for a good BFG-style gun in a mod.

Speaking of all this quake guy nonsense...i need to go fix my links. 'Scuse me...
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
                X