Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Get Started(Quake,Mapping,Modding)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Get Started(Quake,Mapping,Modding)

Part 1

So this thread is for anyone who has come here to play Quake,maybe after a long time or you have just discovered the game and liked it.

How To Get The Game

You can get the game from Steam by itself or in a bundle with all quake games(?)
    Or GOG.Their pack is cheaper though as it comes with both mission packs(MP)

Starting it...
    Got the game?
    You should have it in a folder like this(this is what I use)
    EX-D:/Games:/Q1

id1(folder)
    yourengine.exe(the 3 original engines are useless)

Inside id1?
    There will be a pak0.pak and pak1.pak and a progs.dat(this is the case only for base game;the mission packs have the progs inside the pak).

pak0.pak contains the sounds,models,sprites and maps( for the first episode only).This is the shareware pak.

pak1.pak has the rest of the stuff.It contains Episodes 2,3 and 4,the models for the enemies in those episodes.

progs.dat is the code for the game.

Engines
    Oh boy.You have plenty to choose from.The best ones are

Fitzquake MarkV quakeone.com/markv/
    Darkplaces https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
    FTEQW FTEQW - FTE QW (Fore Thought Entertainment) - That magical Quakeworld client.
    Qrack quakeone.com/qrack/
    Super8 Qbism qbism game engine
    DirectQ https://quakewiki.org/wiki/DirectQ
    JoeQuake http://joequake.runecentral.com/news.html

I will use MarkV,DP and FTE here.

The Game Itself

When you start your engine of choice:
    Mark V and DP take you to the demo screen.Press ESC to open the menu.
    FTE asks you what kind of rendering style you want.
    5 rendering options are there,each one made for different types of gamers.

You will go to the start map of Quake 1.It has 3 hallways.
    Play all 4 episodes in order for maximum enjoyment.

Mods!
    I will use Arcane Dimensions 1.5.

Remember when I said it is best to keep the engine out of the folder?
    It's because then only mods can work in the best way which = convenient.

Folder
    The standard:

id1
    ad --> mod!
    youreengine.exe

How To Start A Mod(using console)
    MarkV and FTE
    game ad

DP
    gamedir ad

Why the different commands?
    People developed their own standards as there wasn't exactly one when quake was released.The original engines had nothing like what I mentioned above.

When you open the mod normally a new conback screen should be there.
    Or new sounds.Or just new stuff.
    The map that you always go to is called start.Sometimes it may be called modstart,mod_start and start_mod.

Special Engine Parameters
    MarkV and DP support console parameters.
    game hipnotic for MP 1
    game rogue for MP 2
    game quoth for Quoth
    game nehahara for Nehahra

DP has some more commandline parameters.You might want to check the link provided.

Mapping
    I use TrenchBroom 2,which is a super easy editor.If you have mapped for Quake 1 before with those multi-view mapping tools and want them then they can be enabled.
    It has a 3D view useful for beginners.The second largest map in quake history
    (Telefragged from Rubicon Rumble Pack)
    was made by a professional(ijed) using TB1.

USE ONLY TB2!
    You start with a thing like a cuboid in front of you.This is a brush.Not the toothbrush that you brush your stinky teeth with,but a type of model that represents the environment,which is a 3d object which is geometric and convex.Better than mapping for Doom.

That brush can be duplicated,cut,rotated and expanded.
    You will need more than one brush for making a good map.

Some Extra Things To Note
    Quake 1,2 and 3 share the same format name (.bsp) .
    However you save maps in .map format.How do you make them .bsp?
    NOTE-You do not want to confuse the compilers.Quake 1's vanilla engines can run only Q1 BSP.No engine supports Q2 BSP(so far).

Enter compilers.They compile your maps to make them as .bsp .
    You can use tyrutils-ericw as they are the best.
    Func_Msgboard: Tyrutils-ericw V0.15.1

You need to have lighting effects for dark areas and to control the lighting.That is in mapping tutorials,which I won't discuss here due to lack of time.I can only say:

You will need:
    Compiler.You know what that is by now.
    Vis program.What is a vis program?

Vis marks all the visible leafs from every accessible spot in the map so the renderer has a reference to only render the necessary leaves for your current position. It does help with frame rates but many factors need to be considered for this to be true. For instance, if a mapper makes huge areas with lots of visible data then vis will not be efficient. One way to determine this is by displaying rspeeds. Another thing to consider is how the engine is displaying the map. My engine was grouping the entire map into texture batches and rendering the entire map at all times with the exception of occlusion and parts of the map that fell outside of the far clip planes.
    Basically, vis is exactly what it implies... A "what is VISible" system."

Finally a lighting program.
    Light makes texture information that represents the light results for each leaf. This information is in the form of an array of numbers that represent all color channels per array index. It is up to the engine to put the number in all RGB channels to create a greyscale color.
    For instance, light will store something like
    And the engine converts that to RGB values like...
    Etc...
    The light textures are overlayed on the actual textures with a multiply filter. Multiply filters act like this - pure white will reveal the original texture, while anything darker than pure white will add that amount of darkness to the original texture. Light does not really add light to the texture, it adds dark. The light textures are combined into a texture map and the vertices for the entire bsp are located on the texture map accordingly via their UVs.

There are plenty of mapping tutorials online,but you can also just check TB2 manual like how I did.

Modding
    You will need:
    Text editor
    Quake 1 Source(because you can't make a mod without it.)
    (I meant the .qc files not Half-Life 2's engine)
    The extensions is .qc and they can be opened in a text editor.

There is a very important file called progs.src that is basically a list of the qc files to compile.You also need to keep them in a order or your mod may not compile or it will compile,but the results will be screwed up.

Go thorugh each of the qc files.You will notice many,many things like what keys are used for what kind of door

Customizing your Quake
    This part is when you are sick and tired of seeing those imperfect stupid models iD made and want something else.Includes sounds and lump files as well.(.lmp)

Vanilla(MarkV +All other engine to a certain extent)
    You need to make a new folder within id1.It should be called progs for models and sprites,sound for well, sounds and music for music(duh!).It can also be called gfx for skyboxes,which is not a 1996 thing but is used in our daily quake making for atmosphere,mood,fame,and maybe money to get you breakfast damn it.

Put your models(.mdl) name as:
    v_shot for shotgun viewmodel
    v_shot2 for ssg
    v_nail for nailgun
    v_nail2 for super nailgun
    v_rock and v_rock2 for grenade gun and rocket gun respectively.
    v_light for the thunderbolt
    v_axe for axe

Powerups and armor...In part 2.Check the posts.
    Same with health and enemies.Use Pakscape to check the .pak files and see the wonders inside!

Health packs and explosive barrels use .bsp,although some mods like AD and the cancelled RemakeQuake project use .mdl files.

Darkplaces + FTE
    This is customzation level 2 stuff.
    You can put replacement skins,use other model format like md3(quake 3) and IQM(inter-quake model) if renamed to .mdl and use .ogg instead of .wav sounds that other engine can use!
    Note-DP supports other formats only if the extension is renamed to .mdl

EX-mdl.md3 can be used in DP engine as mdl.mdl without conversion of models.
    DP and FTE support pak and pk3,which is Quake 3's pak file extension.

DP has an effectinfo file.I think it defines what colors,particles,amount of particles to use after a certain action like shooting a gun which hits the wall.

For FTE,you can have a cfg(config file extension) call fte_weather.Obvious by the name.

FTE can also open .map files which are the uncompiled bsp files.You need to mention the extension though.
    EX- map uncompiled.map

ou can add .rtlights,.dlit,and .lits for awesome lighting effects improvement.

NOTE- .lit is a colored lighting file which can be used even in the original quake 1 engines,which means all!rtlight and dlits are used only in DP.

DP can use Quake 3's level format.It is a good engine for customization.
    FTE can support Quake 3 format and FTE format.

OTHER STUFF
    Noesis,which is an awesome model converter that uses plugins.

Rich Whitehouse

Modelling
    I have no experience with modelling so anyone can post something in the comments please?

QuakeModelEditor

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/tools/qme31.zip
    (Tell me if link works)

That is it for now,

-Ijaaz Ahmed/Ijazz

Credits
    The people who provided feedback,whether minor or major and people who gave useful info...Their names are found here.

Thanks to: (DD/MM/YYYY)
    Dutch (31/03/2017)
    MadGypsy (31/03/2017) (BTW,how much did you sell the world for? )
    Spike,LordHavoc,Baker for making these engines.
    Last edited by ijazz; 04-03-2017, 09:30 AM. Reason: summa lumma dumma lumma
    Dude,lets party!
    Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

I don't know if I would openly admit to downloading quake for free...you're basically telling the whole world you broke the law.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Oh boy.You have plenty to choose from.The best ones are

Fitzquake MarkV quakeone.com/markv/
      Quakespasm Quakespasm
      Darkplaces https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces
      This isn't wrong but, it isn't right either. If you are only going to pick 3 engines, while choosing 2 engines that are similar and 1 that is a highly advanced client you might want to completely reconsider how you approach and word this section. You also forgot FTE which is like saying Iron Man, Spiderman and Superman are the most well-known super heroes while completely leaving out Batman.

You arguably left out the best engine. FTE is no joke, lil bro. It is also just as, if not more advanced than, darkplaces.

Qrack is another engine that has popularity and solid features. There are people here that like Qrack more than any other engine. It's possibly the Captain America of engines.

Qbism Super 8 is a great little engine too. It's main feature is it's style of rendering and doesn't boast much else in the way of features but, it could be said to be the Hawkman of engines.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Well I was able to run AD on Super8.

@dutch
        What do you mean?
        What download for free?
        Dude,lets party!

Comment

You're welcome.
          (In my school nine is slang for bi people)
          Dude,lets party!

Comment

very nice post
            Thanks
            الحصول على رقم امريكي

Comment

I found something similiar to that in nahuel mini-mod's pk3.The mansion one.
              Dude,lets party!

Comment

Thanks, barely made the last edit as there us a post limit of 12000 characters.
                Dude,lets party!

Comment

Much better, ijazz. I just noticed your friend request and accepted. I don't know how long it's been there cause I don't visit my control panel often. Sorry if you waited a long time.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-03-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks.Part 2 coming soon,maybe after a few months I will move all the post about getting started to another thread.
                    What do you mean,waited for a long time?
                    It was probably 4-5 days.But I have a kind of warped sense of time at times so...
                    Dude,lets party!

Comment

Heh, I was telling you that you forgot the Batman of engines... and I forgot the Wolverine of them....

DirectQ.

Comment

God....
                        I will add this.Please don't forget any engines.As a precautionary measure I am adding JoeQuake.
                        Dude,lets party!

Comment

I'm not trying to name "every" engine. I'm naming the ones that are fairly recent (modern) and popular. I don't know for sure but, I'm under the impression that nobody is using Joe quake. I've been here for 5 or so years and I don't recall Joe quake having any popularity.

All the other ones we've listed so far (except maybe qbism) are popular or have a fanbase of users.

It's pretty simple really. if you want a "faithful" engine with a modern approach and are not concerned about numerous advanced features then MarkV, Qrack or Quakespasm.

If you want a feature rich engine capable of much more than quake then FTE or Darkplaces

If you want mega fps and to use directX then DirectQ

If you want a more artistic approach then Qbism

I could have overlapped engines for some of the properties I listed but, I wanted to keep it very simple.

However, this is more of a Windows list. For Mac/Android there are more options and some of those options are listed here but not all of them. I believe DP works on everything. I'm not positive if the others do but FTE probably does. I know there is a JavaScript port of FTE and that should work in any of the popular browsers. I believe Baker uses a Mac so markV probably works on Mac. If I ever finish my engine it will work on everything, 10 ways and upside-down BUT my engine is more quake-esque.

My goal wasn't to be absolutely definitive. I'm just helping you list the most commonly used/mentioned ones.

If you want the whack-a-mole solution then just link back to this

However, if you are going to go that route you can delete your entire post and remake it as links to information that already exists which is better than yours... It's just true. Everything you are writing here has already been written more thoroughly elsewhere.

The best you can really hope for here is to write a bunch of stuff just to write it or do research and create a post that is little more than a compendium of links so people don't have to search for the info. It's just true, bro. Quake has been around 20 years. Plenty of people have done what you are doing but, they devoted entire pages to stuff that you are treating like a footnote. They also knew much more than you do. Like I said, it's just true. I'm not trying to pooh-pooh your work. I think it's great you are making tutorial threads. You remind me of myself when I started here, which is probably why I am quick to help you but, all this stuff really does already exists. It is a bit spread about, though.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-03-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

You know what you should really do? Teach people how to use TB2. Include images or video so the information is easy to visualize. A tutorial like that would be far more helpful. You claim to understand and use TB2 so, you would be teaching people something you can speak knowledgeably of. You would also be teaching people something that hasn't been written 1000 times before. If you have a hero/mentor that you are in contact with regarding mapping with TB2 ask them questions and include their answers in your tutorial. Before you officially post your tutorial get someone literate to read it and have an open mind when they suggest you change things to be easier to read or add things to be easier to understand.

I can see you have a little fire in you to present yourself serious and as someone that "knows their stuff" so, you should pick tutorials that allow you to maintain/build your validity. Whatever you choose to do just make sure you enjoy it. Life is too short to do things just for the sake of doing them.

This is the main reason my engine is unfinished. It ceased to be fun. Learning a better language became fun so, I did that instead. I'm nearing a point where learning that language in it's entirety will be complete and I opine building/finishing my engine in that language will be something I enjoy. It's definitely been calling to me.
                            Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-03-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks.I will create a new thread as the title is already set and I can't do anything.
                              However,yeah I feel like as if I don't know what I want to do but game development seems interesting.

Good luck with your engine,I'm sure it will be good(it has to be good- or I will make sure Quake does not get a 100 new players{All from my school or people I know}).
                              Dude,lets party!

Comment

Working...
                              X