Reliefmapping in fte (bug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliefmapping in fte (bug)

Hello, I have a problem with bumpmapping in fte quake. I have a grass texture on my map, but when I try to make normal map for that texture it become too bright. I tried different graphics presets but that didn't help. How can I fix that?
    gl_specular 0
    r_bloom 0

Screenshot - grass without normal mapping:

Screenshot - grass with normal mapping:
    Last edited by Reyond; 04-11-2017, 08:24 AM.

relief mapping isn't really intended for highly detailed normalmaps like that. when you have such 'noisy' textures it gives an unfair bias towards pixels that are considered to be facing the viewer.

I'm guessing that this then fights the anti-darkening workaround of r_deluxmapping, resulting in increased intensity.

from https://sourceforge.net/p/fteqw/code...faultwall.glsl :
    Code:
    		#ifdef DELUXE
    			vec3 delux = 2.0*(texture2D(s_deluxmap, lm0).rgb-0.5);
    			lightmaps *= 1.0 / max(0.25, delux.z);	//counter the darkening from deluxmaps
    			lightmaps *= dot(norm, delux);
    		#endif
    grab that file and move to $moddir/glsl/defaultwall.glsl. remove that middle line in your copy, the one with the 'counter the darkening' comment.
    deluxmaps will now make your maps horribly dark, even if you don't have any (just a normalmap).
    (the dot(norm,delux) term above yields a number that's between -1 and 1, though you need some really weird normalmaps/lighting for it to be < 0. this means that without the brightening line above then deluxmaps will ALWAYS be darker than if they were disabled. hence why that extra line is there).

I'm guessing this is the cause of the issue...

If that's q3bsp, you might want to try messing about with q3map2's clutter feature.
    alternatively you can try using fte's internal clutter feature instead, which might work a little better with long draw distances.
    (eg: http://triptohell.info/moodles/junk/...ttershader.png )
    Code:
    //simple fte-only lightmapped shader that throws clutter all over a q1bsp texture found on e1m1
    ground1_6
    {
    	program defaultwall
    	fte_clutter "progs/knight.mdl" 1000 0.3 0.3 24 270 270
    	fte_clutter "progs/player.mdl" 4000 0.3 0.3 24 90 90
    }
    both q3map2's and fte's clutter feature require custom models in some form. q3map2 will bake them into the map, while fte will regenerate them as you move from one area to another.
    with models covering your ground, you should get better results without needing to use excessive bumpyness.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
    X