Trigger_Push won't push upwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger_Push won't push upwards

Hello there, Community. I'm new here and recently started to map for Quake. I'm not that unfamilliar with modding or level editors, but this neat little trigger_push entity won't push my player upwards, only in horizontal directions.

I already searched this and other forums, read tutorials for other engines, that are based on the q1 engine. Without success. I tried to write 0 0 90 into the angle field of the trigger_push, -90, 90, 270... and so on. Nothing helped me, my poor little Ranger everytime facepalmed the wall. But i want to headcrush the ceiling instead.

It's obvious that i'm missing a very simple thing here.

Can anybody help me out here?
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

'angle' is a hack.
    specifically, the engine parses it as angles_y instead.
    SetMoveDir then checks for a few special cases.
    angle -1 = up
    angle -2 = down
    angle 0 = probably a bug, use 360 instead.
    angle anything else = horizontal yaw angle.

note that in most cases, you can use angle 0 in combination with movedir, and by doing so get your trigger_push to push in ANY direction you want. or you can just set angles with pitch+yaw+roll values and make sure your editor isn't breaking things by forcing an angle value too. same result really.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

May the Quaddamage never fade from you, good man!

Thank you!

Comment

Just another tip for you: doors can move in non-cardinal directions as well. I actually didn't realize this until I learned QC, since I don't recall any doors in vanilla quake that open at non-cardinal angles (30° for example).
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
          May the Quaddamage never fade from you, good man!
          I like this saying. Almost did a spit take reading it.
          Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

One great way to solve these puzzles is to get the source for the original id maps and have a look at their key/pairs. So in this case, you would want to look at the Wind Tunnels aka E3M5. The id maps are invaluable as reference for triggers, monster behavior, path corners and the like. And it's pretty easy to remember a gag in a certain map and go right to the map file to see how they did something. Not saying you shouldn't post questions but I've learned a lot from the id source files. Here's a link:

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/too...map_source.zip

Comment

Thanks for the help and the link!

I managed to make a jumppad from your tips and it's working fine. These map sources are invaluable, i think. better than any tutorial!

I just stitched the leaks of the first part of my first Quake map in 15 years. Feels very good!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
                I just stitched the leaks of the first part of my first Quake map in 15 years. Feels very good!
                Nice. I know the feeling. Every few years I get back into mapping and wonder why I ever stopped. Keep us posted on your map.

Comment

Working...
                X