Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basically fire up mediaplayer or itunes and start a song then start recording your avi, and it will capture the sound to the avi.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      basically fire up mediaplayer or itunes and start a song then start recording your avi, and it will capture the sound to the avi.
      This doesn't work either. At least not with capture_start from Qrack, which im using...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Yeah, I'd like to see more players make Quake movies.
        I agree.

Of course people will take bits out of context and say, "See?? This PROVES it's a bot!!"

Comment

I have problems transcoding Darkplaces' Ogg Theora videos to xvid avi.

I'm doing two-pass encoding already, but the quality is just abysmal.

If I use the default mencoder bitrate (687?) for converting, the quality is OK but the xvid is almost twice as big as the Theora :-/

I'm atm trying to simply directly upload the DP theora to Youtube. We'll see how that goes... I am unsure though what's a good resolution for a Youtube upload. My 640x480 vid is over 300 MB... I can't be arsed to wait that long to upload a video really. That takes AGES.

Does youtube scale down the videos?

In particular I would be interested how the RemakeQuake run by Mindz was encoded, and at what resolution it was uploaded to youtube - Baker, did you do that? I think the quality on that is pretty good.

I can't really spend hours to convert and upload videos. >:-(
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

First of all Darkplaces' Theora quality is very bad from my experience. There is no way to make it good without changes in the engine code (even the best quality sucks).

If you convert something like that (a lossy source in general) to another lossy format it is bound to look absolutely terrible (or you will have to use a really really high bitrate).

Youtube scales to whatever they use, check their FAQ, it's somewhere there.

So: Capture in your target resolution to a lossless format (turn off theora!). Also, obviously, do not capture in realtime but from a demo. Then use whatever tool you want to encode to your target format (Avidemux displays DP captures correctly nowadays, handy for cutting). If Youtube is your target, then use H264 (with x264 as encoder). They have recommended settings somewhere. Do not be greedy with your time or bandwidth if you want the result to look good.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

OK, thanks.

I made a test where I simply plugged DP's theora into youtube; the result is actually watchable, but I find 320 MB for 8 minutes of demo (640x480) a little much.

I didn't know that you can switch off theora in DP; I'll have to try that. Thanks again.

I should probably do shorter demos anyway. Me slogging through a singleplayer map is probably not the most interesting thing to begin with.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                So: Capture in your target resolution to a lossless format (turn off theora!). Also, obviously, do not capture in realtime but from a demo. Then use whatever tool you want to encode to your target format (Avidemux displays DP captures correctly nowadays, handy for cutting). If Youtube is your target, then use H264 (with x264 as encoder). They have recommended settings somewhere. Do not be greedy with your time or bandwidth if you want the result to look good.
                So. How do you turn off theora codec in darkplaces? I can't seem to find a cvar that does this in darkplaces.

Also, in darkplaces, what is the command to change from recording to a OGV file to AVI or other file? is that possible?

Comment

By turn off, I also mean change. Like change it to an AVi with Xvid or something.

Comment

Don D , here is the original post !!!

PM with questions !!
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      Yeah, I'd like to see more players make Quake movies.
                      I will have a channel dedicated to skillet raping! muhahaha now i must convert all my 1v1 demo's to movies. SOON TO COME!

Comment

I made this with fraps in darkplaces:

(watch it in the original resolution which is greater than 1080P HD)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmzxc72_4c]YouTube - Crow - OP[/ame]
                        Originally posted by Magnus
                        Apology accepted.

Comment

I tried to make a Quake video just now using your instructions. I did everything they way you've outlined, but I get this error

Couldn't create compressed video stream

Afterwards there is a file in the "capture" directory under the name I gave it, but it is zero byes in length.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I went back into JoeQuake and this time, instead of entering:

capture_codec "XVID"

I spelled it backwards "DIVX"

I'm recording as I type
                          Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Making a video using Darkplaces

There seems to be a couple of posts in this thread referring to converting a demo to a video using DP. Having just fired up Darkplaces I can say that the capture... commands used on ProQuake / Qrack / EngineX don't appear to work for me so I was wondering how you did it? I have a number of demo files that I want to convert without the fraps "stamp" on them so any helpful info on how to do this only using DP would be gratefully received.

While we are on the subject is it possible to use FTE with all it's graphical goodness to convert a NetQuake demo to a divx/xvid/avi video and if so how?

Kind regards

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM.
                            Mr.Burns
                            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                            X