GLPROquake and Sygate Personal Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLPROquake and Sygate Personal Firewall

SPF gives me this message that GLproquake is trying to do a broadcast. I've allowed it of course. Can someone clarify what is going on, just for some technical torture, why quake.exe is broadcasting?
    Attached Files
    'My teammates are no good to me alive.' -Bank on CA.

'I'll cry when I'm done killin!' -A REAL Patriot

Clan TU

Your own... personal... Shambler
    someone to hear your prayers
    someone who cares
    your own... personal... Shambie
    someone whos there

Cos you just tried to connect to a Quake server?

Maybe it's called a broadcast cos Quake uses UDP?

That is my fairly useless response.

Oh. And googling that netmask of 255.255.255.255 yields interesting results:

The netmask 255.255.255.255 would define a network of only one device. About the only time this mask could be useful is defining a loopback, an IP device that can only talk to itself.
    Last edited by gulliver-trans; 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

If you don't know what a personal firewall is doing then don't use one -.- It's keeping track of all the programs sending and receiving packets. It also gives you control on which programs can use the internet and which can't as well as which ports it will accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
        If you don't know what a personal firewall is doing then don't use one -.- It's keeping track of all the programs sending and receiving packets. It also gives you control on which programs can use the internet and which can't as well as which ports it will accept.
        Such a smartass. I'm fully aware of what a firewall does. What I wasn't aware of was the details of GLpro's use of the internet.
        'My teammates are no good to me alive.' -Bank on CA.

'I'll cry when I'm done killin!' -A REAL Patriot

Clan TU

Your own... personal... Shambler
        someone who cares
        your own... personal... Shambie
        someone whos there

Comment

you mean it was trying to talk to the internetz when you weren't using it? That's odd.

Comment

haha,seriously.If an application isnt either executed on purpose,or is running in the background,how do you expect it to attempt to connect to the internet?lol
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

BTW, that message that you got is the standard one I used to get, the first time I would run glpro (or after I installed a new version). But I haven't used sygate in a while.

Comment

Sygate got bought be evil Norton like a year ago. Fuzzywuzzy, you just got a new puter, so if i were you i'd get an updated firewall. Yes Sygate was the shit but your version is a year old....move on. try zone alarm

Comment

NO!! do NOT use zone alarm. Baker can tell you why, it gave him a BSOD once, and it managed to give me an extra 200 ping. Zone alarm just sucks.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                    NO!! do NOT use zone alarm. Baker can tell you why, it gave him a BSOD once, and it managed to give me an extra 200 ping. Zone alarm just sucks.
                    Yeah, like FOQ said, don't use Zone Alarm. It sucks. Sometimes it messes up your internet connection for no reason, gives you lag.

Sometimes ZoneAlarm malfunctions and blocks all traffic and the icon in the icon tray disappears.

And yes, it did give me a blue screen of death one time --- every time on BOOT. I had to make a boot disk on another computer to deinstall Zone Alarm.

If ZoneAlarm works for someone without problems, fine, use what works.

My experience is that Zone Alarm is the worst firewall ever, it is such a shame that Sygate is dead because that firewall was awesome.

Norton's firewall products suck and they needed to kill Sygate because it was better and free, so they bought the Sygate company and killed the product.
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

ive installed zone alarm on at least 5 computers, all of them working fine with no problems. what is the alternate free firewall?

Comment

Working...
                      X