DarkPlaces "alternate" game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces "alternate" game

Okay if you check my posts in Sniper's DM topic, you'll see that I have a problem with an alternate game in the DarkPlaces mod. The only level I've seen that it affects is "start".

"Enter the Abyss"

"Gates of Abyss"

I tried uninstalling the DP mod and then reinstalling it with the EZ installer here but it still does this. This makes me wonder if this actually comes off of that EZ installer.

I can live without playing start on DP but it's a pain because it crashes if I try to join the game. I can observe without any problems, but what it does is loads the map above but has the players running around off the map.

I've tried finding these maps in my ID1 folder, but I don't know what the maps are actually called (e1m2 for example).

If anyone has a solution to this, let me know. Otherwise, it's not a big deal.

What version of DP does the EZ installer give you? LH makes a new DP version every month or so

Comment

I've got the July 25th, 2006 version.

Comment

Well I have the June 10th, 2007 version. Update

Comment

Done, and it's still there.

I might try removing everything, then installing only what I need (DP, Qrack, FVF pack, map packs) and see if that fixes it. Most of what I have in my quake folder is screenshots anyway, might be good to sort through it all and clear up some space.

Comment

Did you try not loading -game dpmod ?
            Are you sure that's the mod you're loading?

Start.bsp may be in a pak or pk3 file in the dpmod directory. Why I don't know.
            Did you search for start.bsp in quake directory subfolders?

You might need a pak file explorer like adquedit.

Comment

Well what do you know! Apparently the start.bsp I had in my maps folder WAS the one! I was thinking it was the original start.

And believe it or not I removed it from the folder and reloaded the game, and it brings me to the original start!

Thanks for the idea Gulliver. Took me a while to figure it out but after the process of elimination I fixed the problem.

Comment

Alright so now I'm confused about something else - where is the REAL start, dm1, e1m7, and so on stored? To my suprise none of them are in the id1/maps folder.

Comment

Right. Either id1's original pak0.pak or pak1.pak would contain the original start.bsp.

No problem.

Maybe that's the start map to Abyss of Pandemonium? (no clue)

Comment

That's what I'm thinking since the EZ installer includes that series.

I never would have thought the maps would have been in one of the paks.

Thanks for the help, I'm really relieved that I don't have to reinstall everything.

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
                      That's what I'm thinking since the EZ installer includes that series.

I never would have thought the maps would have been in one of the paks.

Thanks for the help, I'm really relieved that I don't have to reinstall everything.
                      You can lay the Quake data bare if you prefer, it still runs fine, just find an unpacker (like pakexplorer or winpak) and extract the paks, then you can see all the files.

But that isn't very useful except to know what files exist in quake, so you might only want to do that in a separate directory for curiosity sake.

Note you can also type something like "map start" and hit tab to get a description of the map, the Quake one calls itself "Introduction" for example.

There are also ls and dir commands in the darkplaces console which can list stuff inside paks (as well as outside), like ls gfx/ (or dir gfx/) will list the contents of the gfx directory (doesn't list the contents of gfx.wad, though, that's special).

BTW the reason this only affected darkplaces is that darkplaces lets files override paks, quake did not, I prefer files overriding paks because it makes it much easier to replace files (particularly the menu graphics, models, progs.dat (QuakeC modding), etc).

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
                        Right. Either id1's original pak0.pak or pak1.pak would contain the original start.bsp.

No problem.

Maybe that's the start map to Abyss of Pandemonium? (no clue)
                        yes it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X