problem with model specific gibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with model specific gibs

Hi everynone. First, it's absolutely great that such a cool forum still exists!

I have a question about modifying gibs and this is what I've done:
    1. Downloaded the Quake HD 2019 version from LordValsary here
    2. added different gib models into the item_gib_hd.pk3 (all files into the progs and textures folder)
    3. Opened Seven's SMC Vers. 5.50 and extracted the folder "Sevens modified source QC 5.50" somewhere on the desktop
    4. started fteccgui inside the folder above
    5. added the line ThrowGib ("progs/XY.mdl", self.health); inside the army_die function values of "soldier.qc" and after the other three "ThrowGib" there. XY ist the name of the new gib. This is how Seven explained it on page 102 of his SMC compilation topic here.
    6. Saved
    7. Compiled
    8. copied the newly generated progs.dat to the "Quake_V5.60_smc_edit.pk3" folder (this is the edited one which came with the Quake HD 2019 version

When I start my killing of the grunt/soldier, everytime the new gib (gib number 4) remains grey without any color.
    This doesen't happen when I make a copy of one of the other three gibs, paste it into "item_gib_hd.pk3" folder and do the same processes as mentioned above.
    So when one gib gets repeated, it is colored like it should.
    I tried many combinations and the result was still the same.
    I also followed talisas instructions on page 103, but the result was still the same with the color problem.
    To me it looks like that only three different gibs will be accepted and something must be changed somewhere too.

Please, could someone help me here?

Many thanks!

Ok, just also insert the precache line "precache_model ("progs/XY.mdl");" in the monster_army function as Seven wrote too afterwards.
    Didn't help, same problem, new gib texture is still grey..

Comment

Hello SamIam76,

First of all, be careful when you are using a complete Quake repack.
      They often are made from people with little to no insight of how Quake mechanics work.
      The are mainly content from this very forum, smashed together.

Especially the pack from the person you mentioned.
      He insulted a lot of users of this forum.
      He used content without permissions from its authors and in the end even made fun out of it and insulted them.
      He is by far not a good example how the Quake community should be.
      His thread was deleted from this forum for a reason!
      And there are by far better Quake repacks available. (No, not Epsilon. Because its story is exactly the same).

Having that said and hoping that you are not that person in disguise, I will of course try to help you.

If you already see the new model in the game without warning/error messages, everything is good.
      Beeing only grey means, that you are trying to use a .md3 model without a skin texture.
      All you have to do is open the console and DarkPlaces will guide you. (after you loaded a map where the model is used or after it spawned)
      You will see the models name and the warning message: Beeing a texture path without a file found.
      Just create a texture and place it right there. Or use the texture that comes with the model and place it right there.

Do not let the format naming of the mode confuse you. Replacement models are often used as .mdl even though their format is different.
      DarkPlaces will accept it. And thereby saves you time to edit the QuakeC.
      You can of course edit the QC and use the real format ending, but that limits you.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes and have fun tinkering with Quake.
      Seven

Comment

Hello Seven,

thank you very much for answering. It's an honor to get an aswer by the "grand master of Quake modding"!
        I didn't know about the trouble with that person you mentioned.
        No, I can asure you that I'm not that person in disguise!

Thanks for trying to help me.
        I opened the console and it's written there "sv_modelindex ("progs/torso.mdl): not precached (fix your code) precaching anyway.
        Torso.mdl is the new gib I try. It's -mdl file is inside the progs folder, it's torso.png inside textures.

I tried it for the knight and the part of the knight.gc looks like the following:
        /*QUAKED monster_knight (1 0 0) (-16 -16 -24) (16 16 40) Ambush
        */
        void() monster_knight =
        {
        if (deathmatch)
        {
        remove(self);
        return;
        }

precache_model ("progs/knight.mdl");
        precache_model ("progs/h_knight.mdl");
        precache_model ("progs/gib1.mdl");
        precache_model ("progs/gib2.mdl");
        precache_model ("progs/gib3.mdl");
        precache_model ("progs/torso.mdl");

precache_sound ("knight/kdeath.wav");

I'm wondering why for example the spine from the Black Rayne gibmodels works that way and the ribcage (also Black Rayne) not. Last one remains grey as said before.

Would be great if you could help me out here

Comment

Hello SamIam76,

We are getting closer
          If you do not want to upload your model+skin, we will be discussing quite a while
          If you upload it, we can quickly find the root cause for your issue...

Speaking about gibs.
          Please visit this threat to find some great ones.
          I am sure some will match the project you are working on.

Back to your case:
          Without having your model+skin files in front of me, you have these possible reasons for your issue:
          - torso.mdl is a MD3 model with a different texture path than: textures/torso.tga
          - torso.mdl is not a MD3 model and uses a different skin texture
          - torso.mdl is a MDL format and therefore needs its texture file right here (directly beside the model file): progs/torso.mdl_0.png

I am sure you will be able to fix your issue yourself now.

Best of luck,
          Seven

Comment

Hi Seven,

cool, I thank you very much. That were my problems. I didn't know how to name the MDLs (when they are "real" MDL files) correctly and where to put them. Lastly I putted all the PNGs into progs AND textures folder.
            But some didn't work, because I think, given them not the correct name as you told like "torso.mdl_0.png".
            The torso one now works and it came from:
            https://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/14...-alternative-/ (I know it looks different for the knight, but it was only a try..)

BTW:
            Your gibs above are great, I tried to download them before without success. Some of them I did find somewhere else in the net, some others I could use from your former SMC. Would it be possible to upload them again?
            I know the thing with zippy download as I'm from Germany and know how to download there. But it's written that file isn't there anymore..

So all the gibs I just tried were some of your former SMC packs plus the ones from Black Rayne and the one from quakeworld.
            There is nothing more to share from me right now

Do you also have links to other gib skins maybe? I couldn't find good ones. Maybe the ones from Quake 3 can be converted also?

Thanks in advance for help

Comment

Ok, really strange..
              I tried again the "ribcage" one form Black Rayne. That one still stays blank white. The "spine" one from Black Rayne works perfect with all colors!
              Same with the bone and rib, same models as in your "set1" from here:
              http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-talk...b-models-skins
              Bone is ok, rib stays blank..
              Last edited by SamIam76; 02-05-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Hi SamIam76,

Didnt notice that the download link was offline.
                Reuploaded it again to a better place.

Yes, you can use all models you like as gib models.
                You only need to add the blood trail flag to them.
                With LordHavoc´s modeltool.exe for example.

And be aware, that you can change the MD3 texture path within the model.
                You need a MD3 model converter/editor to do so, if needed.
                NPherno's MD3 compiler for example.
                You will see how the texture + path naming must be for the special ones you mentioned, once you downloaded them.

Try to play with them a little and you will see and learn quickly.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

Hi Seven,

again many thanks for help. Thanks too for updating your link!

I didn't found out how to see and change the texture path within the model using NPherno's compiler. But what I did is:
                  1. open the concerning gib.mdl file with QUARK. If it says "this is not an MDL file", it maybe should be a renamed MD3 file
                  2. copied the gib.mdl and it's respective picture file (if PNG it needs to be converted to jpg) to a folder, then renamed gib.mdl to gib.md3
                  3. unpacked QWALK alpha 0.1.2 model converter to the same folder as described in 2.
                  4. started QWALK in cosole with commands "modelconv -i gib.md3 -tex gib.jpg gib.mdl"
                  5. copied the new gib.mdl to "progs" and the gib.jpg to "textures" or also to "progs" by renaming the way you described above.

The problem is that the gib model is a little bit low res, what annoys me a bit.

The other problem is that some models "sink" a lttle bit into the ground.
                  That happened also with the torso model (gib2) of your OSJC pack, I downloaded. That one worked just by copying the gib2 files to "progs" folder.

That's what I meant by lowres / artifacts on the upper side of torso:
                  dp20210206005917-00.jpg

That's how the rib should look (works because it landed mid air..)
                  dp20210206022909-00.jpg

And that' how it really looks by landing on the ground
                  dp20210206022925-00.jpg
                  Last edited by SamIam76; 02-05-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Hi SamIam76,

Do not worry, there are answers to all of your questions.

First of all, i see in your pictures that you are playing the SMC.
                    Then you should be aware of this cvar:
                    set gibspinstyle 1 // "0"= gibs spin around all axis "1"= gibs only spin around Y-yaw (best for use with custom High Poly gib models)
                    You absolutely must set it to "1" to be able to use these detailed gib models.
                    The reason should be obvious by reading the description.

Regarding your question 1:
                    Please see this tutorial I made some time ago.
                    You can also find the link in the SMC main readme.txt.
                    It explains how to handle several model formats and also explains some basic things in NPherno's MD3 compiler.
                    It even has a download link for it.

Regarding your screenshot 1:
                    You are using a low res texture file. It seems to be 256x256.
                    Here is a High Res texture file for it. It is 1024x1024.
                    To be able to use it, you have to remove the corresponding low res textures first, because the high res once are .png and would be loaded later if there are 2 of the same name by the engine !
                    DOWNLOAD

Regarding your screenshots 2 + 3:
                    That model was made without the SMC in mind.
                    That means, that the origin of the model was designed exactly like all other original gibs: in its center.
                    That is why there is always a part of it beneath the floor. As you have learned: Original gib spin behaviour is around all axis.
                    And it would look weird if a gib is floating in the air in original Quake.
                    Now that you are using the gibspinstyle 1 cvar, you can move the gibs origin to match the floor.
                    See the attached screenshot I made showing more clear what I mean.
                    You can do this with many different tools. Noesis or QME for example.
                    If you are using Noesis, you will find the button "advanced commands" when you export a model.
                    Use the offset command to move the model slightly upwards.

Do this with all your gibs if needed.

Have a nice Quakey weekend
                    Seven

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Seven,
                      many thanks again, will try with the skin files in hope that it will solve the color problem. It doesn't matter if if use high res textures (thanks for your file) or not, or even don't use any after I repacked with QWALK. The low res result is still the same. Even when changing the output resolution by walk command line. I think it concerns that program. Could it be that it "mounts" the texture inside the NDL and lowers it?
                      I will try also the gipspinstyle feature, thank you too.
                      Will post my results then.

Have a good last weekend day and best wishes
                      SamIam

Comment

Hi Seven,

I could manage it with Noemis and the offset command to move the ribcage above. Now it doesn't sink into ground which is great
                        Concerning the lowres torso:
                        I couldn't manage it with your guidelines about creating the skin files.
                        Only possibility for me was still with QUALK by converting it to mdl and include the texture with the -tex command.
                        But then it gets lowres.

So one question about your gibs files you uploaded:
                        In the Ruohis folder there is the file gib2.mdl. This was my torso file from above. It seems that this one is a renamed MD3 file.
                        Should it be possible just by unpacking it's responsible files inside the textures and progs folder to implement it into Darkplaces and your SMC?
                        That doesn't work for me. It works only by converting it the way mentioned above with QWALK..

Thanks for help

Comment

I have 2 other questions, sorry..

1. I tried to manage some other gib files from the net. They were SMD files before. Opened them with Noesis and converted to MDL. It worked, but they are glowing:
                          dp20210210060816-00.jpg
                          Is there a way I can change that?

2. The gibs from Arcane Dimensions are great also. I could manage to integrate them too, but they are really lowres.
                          Is there a way to get highres ones of them??

Many thanks again and best wishes
                          SamIam

Comment

Originally posted by SamIam76 View Post
                            Hi Seven,
                            many thanks again, will try with the skin files in hope that it will solve the color problem. It doesn't matter if if use high res textures (thanks for your file) or not, or even don't use any after I repacked with QWALK. The low res result is still the same. Even when changing the output resolution by walk command line. I think it concerns that program. Could it be that it "mounts" the texture inside the NDL and lowers it?
                            Hello SamIam76,

Now we are at the point where you should read my first post again.
                            You are trying to add something to an already stuffed and borked compilation...

My answer in this case is always the same:
                            Creat a new Quake folder. Create only id1 folder and copy the original pak0 and pak1 files in it.
                            Drop Darkplaces (build 20170829beta1 , yes do not use other builds) into your Quake folder.
                            In other words: Get rid of all the bling bling files and then try your new models in there.
                            In your case, drop the ruohis_items.pk3 into id1 folder and fire up DarkPlaces powered Quake.
                            If it works there (which it does in regards to your mentioned gib model + texture), you know that your fancy compilation makes the problem.

Now browse through your compilation files with a comb and search that same model name, texture file and/or .skin or shaders files etc. and delete them.
                            Then you will see, it will magically also work there

I could manage it with Noemis and the offset command to move the ribcage above. Now it doesn't sink into ground which is great
                            Thats great to hear.

Concerning the lowres torso:
                            I couldn't manage it with your guidelines about creating the skin files.
                            Only possibility for me was still with QUALK by converting it to mdl and include the texture with the -tex command.
                            But then it gets lowres.
                            The answer was given here.
                            Again, pay attention to the replacement texture naming.
                            If you are using .mdl files, it something like: progs/torso.mdl_0.png
                            Same folder, same main name. Add in it: .mdl_0

If you do not add dedicated replacement textures, the one inside the .mdl model will be used.
                            And that is converted into standard Quake palette and res by Qwalk.
                            So yes, it will look low res in game.

If you are using .md3 files, the texture must fit the given path inside the model.
                            You only need a .skin file if you want to change that path. What you usually do not need to.
                            Or add shaders or other advanced stuff, but you are not ready for them yet.

I have 2 other questions, sorry..
                            No problem, that is why we are here.

1. I tried to manage some other gib files from the net. They were SMD files before. Opened them with Noesis and converted to MDL. It worked, but they are glowing:
                            Is there a way I can change that?
                            They are either fullbright pixels (which always glow). --> You can automatically delete those pixels with Noesis advanced options (as explained in my post above) or with other Quake palette tools.
                            Or you are using advanced texture files, like .glow or .luma. --> simply delete them

2. The gibs from Arcane Dimensions are great also. I could manage to integrate them too, but they are really lowres.
                            Is there a way to get highres ones of them??
                            Yes, extract the skin texture and make your hands dirty with a texture editor.
                            There are some (also web browser based) to increase the resolution automatically for you and in the same step sharpen them, if you think that doing it manually is too difficult for you.
                            Hand made are of course always better but takle moch more time and effort (and talent)

I hope I could answer some questions for you.

All the Best.
                            And do not get too addicted with this game...

Comment

Hi Seven,

sorry for not responsing earlier. But my PC crashed and I had to change some parts.

Some great news I want to share soon with you all BTW!
                              Had done some cool Gib models (also with increasing the quality of the arcane ones).
                              ​​​​
                              Will show them soon.

Best regards and a great WE
                              SamIam

Comment

Working...
                              X