Trouble running Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble running Quake

I am having trouble making quake play. It says to check to see if i have quake in my folder. As far as I can tell I do. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to get back to playing.

Hi Dopa
    I hope all is well. If this is your original install of Quake that you have been using for years (rather than some of the new versions offered by Steam) then it sounds like you are probably clicking on a shortcut and it can't locate the quake executable / batch file that you are wanting to run. If that's the case then have you checked that the target of the shortcut is actually present? Have you tried manually navigating to the relevant directory and running the target manually ? Do any other engines (e.g. MarkV, Proquake or Quakespasm) run?

Kind regards
    Mr.Burns
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-12-2022, 01:30 PM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Mr Burns,
      thanks for answering, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Yes its the original. Im not a computer smart fellow at 67yrs old im just glad im still above ground. I would love more than anything to get back to playing with some of the old gang. Is here somewhere i can go to dl a clean copy or even purchase a clean copy. I have tried dark places, and several other installs and it just wont work. I have no idea what happened to it. You can reach me at [email protected] if you want. Maybe be quicker anyway.
      Put MrBurns in the subject line so i know its you. Im playing STFC on my Ipad. Still use Dopa2u there. See ya soon hopefully.

Dopa

Comment

Hi Dopa

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work has been extremely busy on the run up to Xmas
        As a test to try and get a fresh install working I did the following on one of my Windows machines:
        1. Create a new quake folder, for example c:\quake2023
        2. Create a subfolder within your new quake folder and call it id1, so we now have c:\quake2023\id1
        3. Download Baker's MarkV Quake engine from http://quakeone.com/markv/builds/109...revision_4.zip
        4. Unpack the contents of the zip file in to c:\quake2023
        5. Go to your old non-working quake directory and copy the PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files from that to the id1 subdirectory in that installation across to c:\quake2023\id1\
        6. Double click the mark_v.exe icon.
        When I did the above, which took no more that a couple of mins to complete, it fired up immediately and allowed me to connect to Shmack without any issues. It obviously didn't have an of my usual tweaks/binds/settings or anything like that but it might be worth trying it as a test just to see if you can connect ok and rule out things like your network connection, firewall, etc.

I hope this helps, and a big thank you to Baker for producing such a smooth and reliable engine.

Kind regards
        Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 12-21-2022, 02:23 AM. Reason: Typo
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
        X