Quake and Vista Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake and Vista Help

I'm hoping someone can help me get this up and running. I pulled out my old Quake CD, hoping to play it again as it has been a few years. I've read some on the board and through Google searches, but I'm still having problems getting it to run. I d/l ProQuake 3.5 and installed it. Since the Quake installer on the CD won't work, I did the deice.exe file direct from the CD. I can open ProQuake Launcher, but when I try to play single player, I get a "you must have registered version to play modified games" error message. What step am I missing? Are there other files from the CD that I need to copy over to my C:\Quake directory? Since the CD installer won't work, I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. I am just looking to play some singer player Quake. TIA.

You only need two files from your Quake CD: pak0.pak and pak1.pak
    and put those into

C:\QUAKE\id1

And for Sp this may be usefull too:
    http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...&op=show&id=46

Comment

Awesome! Thanks. I got it working now.

How do you save game again?

Comment

Originally posted by rudl View Post

And for Sp this may be usefull too:
        http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...&op=show&id=46
        Thanks for the linky.

Comment

Help Getting Quake Running on Vista

Hi all. It has been years since I played the old Quake and it Mission packs. When I pulled it out it had years of dust on it. Any ways I just pulled it out today. And will I don't know how to fully install it. with vista. Could someone give me the step to step on getting it running pls. I have looked around on the net to find help and will some of them get me lost. But I heard this was the place to go. So when someone has time. put down the step to step on how to get this old school game running.

Comment

If you have the original DOS Quake you'll need to jump through a few hoops to get it working. I don't have Vista so I can't give you specific instructions, but OldSchool (above) has reported that manually using deice.exe works, and I've seen elsewhere that DOSBox can also work. Maybe contact OldSchool directly?
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK, here's a DOSBox method that should work for you. I've tested it with Quake shareware on XP only, so you may need administrator rights and you may get some UAC stuff on Vista.

Installing DOS Quake
              1. Download and install DOSBox from http://www.dosbox.com/
              2. Create a folder on the root of your C drive called QSetup, i.e. C:\QSetup
              3. Copy the contents of your Quake CD to this folder
              4. Run DOSBox
              5. Type "mount C C:\QSetup" (without quotes) and press return
              6. Type "C:" (without quotes) and press return
              7. Type "install" (without quotes) and press return
              8. Run through the Quake installer - select to install on your C drive and take the default folder. This will be very slow.
              9. Press any key to enter Quake when prompted, then exit Quake immediately.
              10. The text in DOSBox can be corrupted after you exit Quake, so kill it by closing the window (you might need to Alt-Tab away and then Alt-Tab back to restore your mouse pointer here).
              11. Open your C drive in My Computer or Explorer.
              12. Open the QSetup folder
              13. Open the Quake (or Quake_sw) folder.
              14. Copy everything from here to C:\Quake (or wherever you want Quake's permanent home to be).
              15. Delete the C:\QSetup folder - you don't need it any more.
              16. Burn the C:\Quake (or whatever) folder to CD to make sure you never have to do this again.
              17. Delete everything from the C:\Quake (or whatever) folder except for the "ID1" subfolder.
              18. Download a modern Quake engine such as ProQuake, FitzQuake, QRack, JoeQuake or DarkPlaces (better yet, download all 5) and follow the readme for them to get them working.
              IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Or send me a picture showing the original CD and a note saying "Hi Spirit, as you can see I own originals. Could you please send me the unpacked files?".

According to this the files are packed via LHA. That means any decent archiver (7-zip) should be able to unpack them.
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

^^ Yes, why mess around with an onerous 15 step process when you can just have someone direct you to a pak0.pak and pak1.pak download.

I mean, if someone owns the game I don't see why they should have to do some miserable stuff to get the game to work.

Reasonability (TM) is what separates humans from the lower species, right?
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

not trying to highjack... is there a way to get a 'pak explorer' to work under vista as well? i am having trouble with skins under multiplayer modes where they don't seem to either load or the like was hoping to browse around the in pak files for a solution. I am running DarkPlaces.

TIA

-Zach

Comment

http://www.fileplanet.com/42143/4000...PakScape-v0.07

pakscape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pak explorer

opens pak/pk3, and i also read it can open zip philes

its also 34125637614137862354617132569873216598723658723165 872316 times easier to use

//dont mid the regisater thing, there is a free register to the left of the massive "sign up fer monies" thing on the page[you'll know witch page when u see it]

Comment

spirit,

I'd like to follow-up on this offer as I also have trouble installing quake to my vista system. in addition, the system tells me it doesn't support full-screen mode. how do i send you a picture of the original CD and "Hi Spirit"...

goss1210

Comment

Working...
                        X