Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbuck View Post
    Hi there,

I'm just trying to get Bram's menu replacement textures to work in Darkplaces. I presumed I just put the .pngs in quake\id1\gfx\, but when i do that they don't show up. Is this the correct directory? Never loaded menu textures before

Cheers for your help!
    Offhand, I say problem #1 is that I don't believe all the names are right. "multiplayer.png" sure isn't going to work because Quake was for DOS which has 8 character filename limits and multiplayer = 11 characters.

#2 I'm not 100% sure DarkPlaces supports menu replacement elements.

But I'm looking into this ....

The file contains ...

1. completed.png
    2. load.png
    3. loading.png
    4. main.png
    5. multiplayer.png
    6. options.png
    7. save.png
    8. single.png
    9. gpl.txt (nice sentiment by the author, but how can he GPL id Software's menu? He can't.)

And the real names need to be ...

1. complete.png (not completed)
    2. p_load.png (not load.png)
    3. loading.png is fine
    4. mainmenu.png (not main.png)
    5. p_multi.png (not multiplayer.png)
    6. p_option.png (not options.png)
    7. p_save.png (not save.png)
    8. sp_menu.png (not single.png)

I think ^^

Not, this isn't going to work. You can try it, but he didn't separate out the menu elements to match what is really going on.

For instance, the main menu is 3 separate graphics. The vertical Quake logo, the top "MAIN" and the menu part. He has them as one.

So someone would have to open these up with a graphics program and turn main.png into 3 separate files, etc.

So with more graphics work on them, they could work but they do not match the presentation of the files in pak0.pak in \gfx.

(But they won't work as-is)
    Last edited by Baker; 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

DP supports the replacements because rygels(is that right?) texture pack has them

... or at least i think that's where i got them

Comment

Originally posted by metchsteekle View Post
        DP supports the replacements because rygels(is that right?) texture pack has them

... or at least i think that's where i got them
        DarkPlaces supports them (I tried Bram's replacements a few mins ago).

But this particular set that Starbuck is referring to doesn't quite work as-is and the textures themselves don't match the gfx/<insert name>.lmp they are supposed to be replacing. They'd have to be cut into pieces in a graphics editor (which for Starbuck is doubtlessly not much work ).

Here are the names:

Last edited by Baker; 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
          DarkPlaces supports them (I tried Bram's replacements a few mins ago).

But this particular set that Starbuck is referring to doesn't quite work as-is and the textures themselves don't match the gfx/<insert name>.lmp they are supposed to be replacing...

Thanks Baker, I really should have checked more thoroughly. It never occurred to me that someone would release menu textures, say they were for darkplaces (on his website), but use completely the wrong images and image names for it to ever work. Maybe it works in some other engine, I don't know.

The irony is that I only downloaded these menu textures to see how custom menus work so I could make my own! I figured it out now though... cutting up the images worked fine

Comment

Hey Forrest, I downloaded your latest build "20090128" and when I play at Quake.Shmack.Net, this following command is endlessly chat-spammed towards me.

*unknown command "]]]]]21[["*

That number goes up to 24 then comes down.

I will also use this opportunity to say that since that October version, or earlier, DP does some funny stuff with file handling. For example, if I put stuff into config, it does not get executed when Quake runs unless I type in console "exec config.cfg."

Old config information gets stored somewhere. I have no idea where, maybe RAM or Windows because even after I delete everything and I rebuild my Quake directory it still holds my previous config information, unless I manually re-run that parse command!

.. just some things.

Thanks!
            Last edited by Paradise; 02-05-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

I'm new here, so hey.

Anyway:

I tried installing darkplaces and all I get is a black screen then a message saying it couldn't be run.

Here's what I did:

make a file under c:\quake
              Unzipped darkplaces into it.
              Then I unzipped it's engine into the same place.
              next I made c\:quake\id1
              I then moved both pak0 and pak1 into that directory from the disk.

Now when ever I try to play it I get the same message. I could get the game to work if I installed quake1 and used proquake. but that's something else.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Oh yea, and I'm using windows XP.

Comment

If you run darkplaces.exe, try to run darkplaces-sdl.exe.
                No tears please, it’s a waste of a good suffering!

Comment

ok, now it works, but the frame rate is horrible?

Is there something I can do to fix this? I can't imagine that's it's because of my computer's power.

Do I really need to town down the graphics or is there a trick I can do?

Comment

typing r_glsl in the console 0 may help, this disables use of OpenGL 2.0 shaders which could be software emulated (slow) with your drivers instead of hardware accelerated (fast). This is a major speedup for most non-highend graphics card.

Comment

To shed some light on why your files sometimes seem to not get read:

Most likely Dark Places is saving your options into ~/.darkplaces/id1/config.cfg or whatever, and not into your Dark Places /id1/ folder. If this is the case, it will ignore any changes to the file in /id1/. Either modify the one in your home folder, or erase the one in your home folder so it uses the one in /id1/. This had me stuck a while back!

Comment

Oh, also you seem to be using software mode (Mesa 3D) rather than an accelerated 3D driver. I think some ATI cards use Mesa 3D for their accelerated drivers, but the rest need the Mesa 3D drivers to be uninstalled (e.g. nVIDIA and other ATI cards).

What graphics card do you have?

Comment

Working...
                        X