Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quake and vista 64bit

Is it even possible to run?

I have vista64 and I've never had a problem. Both proquake and qrack have worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by operator View Post
      Is it even possible to run?
      Yes, Quake works just fine on Vista.

Don't use quake.exe, that's DOS Quake and that won't even run on XP. id Software's winquake and glquake.exe have always run on XP and Vista.

If you need more help, post back.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Does anyone else have a problem with mouse sensitivity in Vista? I'm running with about sensitivity 75 in quake and mouse speed at maximum in windows and it still doesn't feel quite as sweet as it should. I never had XP so I can't compare it, but my last (much less powerful) machine was running 2000 and that handled Quake much better. Which is really annoying because this is about the only problem I've had with Vista, for the most part it's working really well for me.
        Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08
        !AXATAXA! == 355.24 Kb Want to take on Quake with only your axe?
        Hunting shamblers since 1996.

Comment

A good percent of Quake players use -dinput in their command line.

It ignores all of those Windows settings. -dinput feels a little different than normal so if you are really used to the "old" way, you might not like it.

If you don't think dinput is "right" for you after trying it, there are some other mouse command line options like:

-noforcemaccel

Type: Parameter

Description: Disable the setting of mouse acceleration.

Note: This parameter should only be used if you experiance problems with the mouse.
          -noforcemparms

Description: Disable the setting of mouse parameters.

Note: This parameter should only be used if you experiance problems with the mouse.
          -noforcemspd

Description: Disable the setting of mouse speed.

I've never tried any of the above because I use -dinput, so I couldn't tell you much about what they do.

You could also try going old school and using this command line option:

-nomouse
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            You could also try going old school and using this command line option:

-nomouse
            I did play doom like that for reasons I can't quite remember a few years ago, it was ZDoom which has mouse/key look added. I had WSAD for my feet and the arrows for my head. It wasn't much fun, although I think I still habitually put in the up/down arrows as look up/look down in any game that will let me.

Yup it turns out QRack is set up for that... I dunno what goes through my head when I do that, like: "ooh it'll be a handy backup in case my mouse fails." ???

But thanks for -dinput, I haven't used that before and it does seem a little nicer. I think I need to take a hacksaw to Vista though and see if I can make it a bit leaner.
            Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08

Comment

Slightly off-topic, one reason for disabling the mouse in Doom is because when you slide it forwards and back, you'll move slightly forwards and back too! I suppose a lot of old-school players have become used to this, but it really really really feels weird after getting accustomed to mouselooking.
              IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                Slightly off-topic, one reason for disabling the mouse in Doom is because when you slide it forwards and back, you'll move slightly forwards and back too! I suppose a lot of old-school players have become used to this, but it really really really feels weird after getting accustomed to mouselooking.
                I really like being able to use the mouse for position, Quake has it spot on, using Alt to mouse strafe to the perfect spot is ideal. A lot of non Quake related games rely solely on WSAD. I always wanted an mlook toggle (and a run toggle, before I saw half-life's hold shift to walk system).

On another note I've made a stripped out profile for Vista and my Quake clients are all running much sweeter. I think the dent in the lid of the shoebox I'm using as a mouse table may have had something to do with it too
                Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08

Comment

where do i run them from?

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    Yes, Quake works just fine on Vista.

Don't use quake.exe, that's DOS Quake and that won't even run on XP. id Software's winquake and glquake.exe have always run on XP and Vista.

If you need more help, post back.
                    where do i run them from? i have little skills in this venue but appreciate the time and consideration for assist.

Comment

run them from start-> run - > c:\quake\glqrack.exe -dinput ... whatever your quake directory is ... and in qrack console type m_smooth 1, or m_filter 1 for pro.

Comment

spambot.
                        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                          spambot.
                          Seems very very unlikely to be a spam bot, in another thread he is asking Spirit for installation help because he can't get his Quake to install on Vista and Spirit wants a picture of the original Quake cd and an email before sending an "easier form of installation of the original 'Quake' files."

Originally posted by goss1210 View Post
                          spirit,

I'd like to follow-up on this offer as I also have trouble installing quake to my vista system. in addition, the system tells me it doesn't support full-screen mode. how do i send you a picture of the original CD and "Hi Spirit"...

goss1210

Comment

Working...
                          X