Crazy colors when trying to run GL Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy colors when trying to run GL Quake

So I got Quake off Steam. That client thing that you normally run Counter Strike off of. Anyways, I bought this big id Software super pack thing that came with a bunch of Quake, Doom, HeXen etc games. Anyways it came with the two Quake mission packs, but I can't run them without GL Quake through Steam. I also can't use one of those special third party clients.

Anyways, when I try to run regular GL Quake, or one of the mission packs with GL Quake my game is all crazy rainbow colors and weird little squares, so I can't play. Any idea how fix this? Thanks for the help.

Whats your video card, driver, and motherboard? Im having issues with opengl with my crappy Nvidia drivers. Make sure that you right click on the game in the steam menu. Look for verify files and click on that.

Comment

Verifying files didn't do anything, as for my graph card, driver, and motherboard, I don't know much about PCs, but looking at device manager this is what I can find out.

Display adapters : Radeon 9600 series
      When I right click on it for driver it's 8.476.0.0

As for my motherboard...I have no idea how to find out.

Comment

It could be a driver issue for your graphics card. It dosnt have anything to do with your board. You might want to try an updated driver http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
        Make sure that you use driver sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655 Run this in safe mode (F8 while your pc is booting up) after uninstall your current driver. Then just install your new driver.

Comment

I tried that, and it didn't work

Comment

*bump* someone please help me out here, I really want to play the mission packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Galuf View Post
              *bump* someone please help me out here, I really want to play the mission packs.
              > I also can't use one of those special third party clients.

If you don't insist on that, I think you'll have a pretty easy time and a trillion options exist.

Steam installs the game on your hard drive.

1. Open this folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\quake\

2. Download this:

http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/f...tzquake080.zip

And take the fitzquake080.exe and put it in that folder

3. Double-click fitzquake080.exe to start it

4. Pull down the console by pressing ~ and type:

game hipnotic (for mission pack 1)
              game rogue (for mission pack 2)

And then Press ESC -> Single Player -> New Game

5. Have fun

/I never responded since you said you insisted on using whatever Steam launcher and had to use [extra outdated, buggy and crappy] original glquake.exe with it's trillion bugs.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

That didn't help. I still get the crazy colors.

Comment

That didn't help. I still get the crazy colors.
                  When all else fails ...

http://www.quakeone.com/proquake/pro...80306_0436.zip

Use the d3dpro399.exe in that.

Instead of typing "game hipnotic", type "gamedir hipnotic" after you start it (the command is a little different).

Why I hope this will work for you is that it sounds like it is a strong possibility that your OpenGL drivers are messed up. d3dpro doesn't even use OpenGL drivers, it uses Direct3d.

If that fails, try the wqpro399.exe which uses neither OpenGL or Direct3d to render and is instead a software renderer.

If all of these fail somehow, maybe something is corrupt with the game.

/Sorry you are having this problem, it isn't fun when you buy something and then it doesn't work.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sweet that worked. And not only that, but the graphics are slightly better, and the controls are a lot better

Thanks for the help!

Comment

This probably isn't the place to ask, but do they have some sort of program like this for Hexen too? Cause that game has terrible controls, and I'd love to play it with better ones. And with the smoother graphics would be nice too.

Comment

This probably isn't the place to ask, but do they have some sort of program like this for Hexen too? Cause that game has terrible controls, and I'd love to play it with better ones. And with the smoother graphics would be nice too.
                        I'm glad that worked for you. I don't know much about Hexen, though.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's called New Hexen. There is also EDGE. I havent tried New Hexen. They dont help with multiplayer and its no Quake but still fun.

Comment

Wow I just found the program that makes Hexen 3D. It works for Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, and all the expansions and stuff. It's freaking amazing. Sorry for off-topic lol.

Comment

Wow I just found the program that makes Hexen 3D. It works for Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, and all the expansions and stuff. It's freaking amazing. Sorry for off-topic lol.
                              What you mean? with term "Hexen 3D"
                              Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
                              Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
                              HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
                              HeXen II Files - under development
                              Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
                              hexen2 ftp
                              hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

Working...
                              X