Dark Places screen flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Places screen flicker

I finally got a computer that can run dark places. I'm having one problem though. Every time a level loads, the screen starts to flicker. It's kinda transparent flicker. It will go away if I re-apply the video setting, but it's a hassle. I have to do it each time a level loads. Anyway to prevent it from happening all together?

-Legend

Probably your best shot with something obscure like that is asking at irc://irc.anynet.org/darkplaces on IRC.

Except for the most common DarkPlaces questions, it is tough to know because DarkPlaces has so many features.

You might try vid_vsync 1 and then vid_restart and hope maybe it is a "tearing" issue where the screen isn't being updated in sync with the monitor refresh hz. By setting vid_vsync 1, it should keep that in sync (if this is even related to the problem you are having ... so hard to tell).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I tried it. I still have the same problem. I tried putting vid_vsync 1 into the config file too, but no luck.

I never used IRC before. How do I get on there?

-Legend

Comment

Install an IRC client like Mirc

And then click this link: irc://irc.anynet.org/darkplaces
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

No help over there. Wish I could explain it better or video it. Nothing like this ever happened to anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Legend View Post
            Wish I could explain it better or video it. Nothing like this ever happened to anyone else?
            In the console, you could type cl_capturevideo 1 and then 3 seconds later type cl_capturevideo 0.

The output file would be c:\quake\id1\video\dpvideo001.avi and you could upload it to, say, YouTube or the http://www.shub-hub.com/ (password = ilovetheshubhub).

The output AVI will be LARGE (I did it 3 seconds and the AVI was 49 MB) so make sure you only do it a couple of seconds.

The problem is it is difficult to visualize what kind of problem you are having. Sucks to have those kinds of problems.

Comment

Did it happen with both Darkplaces.exe and Darkplaces-sdl.exe?
              If you are using Darkplaces.exe, maybe you could try Darkplaces-sdl.exe.
              Sometimes there could be problem with one but no problem with the other.

Comment

The Darkplaces-sdl.exe uses SDL for the sound and maybe the keyboard/mouse, not the rendering. Shouldn't have anything to do with this kind of problem.

Comment

Hi. My internet has been down for a few days. I'm still having the same problem. Here is the video. Hope someone can help. This occurred just as I entered the slipgate complex.

http://shub-hub.com/files/misc/dpvideo001.avi

Thaanks.

-Legend

Comment

Doesn't look the captured video "captured" the problem

Comment

what do you mean? When I played it, it shows the problem.

Comment

I saw no flickering when I played it (several times!), then I uploaded it to Google Video to show you the no flickering.

And wouldn't you know, it shows the flickering on Google Video. Windows Media Player Classic must have some sort of anti-flickering correction in it or something.

With a regular Quake client, I'd say do gl_clear 0 but DarkPlaces to my knowledge always uses gl_clear and has no option to not use it. If you are using vid_vsync 1, maybe type gl_finish 1.

You might go back to the IRC channel and link them the above online video and ask, since you have a visual demonstration of the issue odds are vastly improved someone might know.

Update:

Nexuiz is the same thing as DarkPlaces and I saw this when I did some Googling:

http://www.alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1097

You might try ALT-TABBING out of DarkPlaces and back in. Yeah, if this works it sure is crazy but acccording to that thread no one had a fix. They did say an older version of DarkPlaces did not have the problem. (Older version are here: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/ )

I'd try the June 2006 build: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplac...ne20060606.zip
                        Last edited by Baker; 10-15-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

when i play the video uploaded

the screen shows something that looks like h was standing next to a grenade near the start teleport, and then it shows him standing at the start of e1m1

and then it bounces between these two shots like a possessed strobe light or some shit

is that what he is talking about?

edit: wait he not standing next to a grenade, its just the bottom of the teleport, one of the parts looks like the bottom of a grenade

Comment

"the screen shows something that looks like h was standing next to a grenade near the start teleport, and then it shows him standing at the start of e1m1time

and then it bounces between these two shots like a possessed strobe light or some shit

is that what he is talking about?"

Yes that is what I'm talking about. Every time I start a level, It strobes between the last image and the beginning of the next level. Quite annoying. I stell haven't found a solution unfortunately. I hope someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it. I have the latest version of darkplaces btw.

Comment

I have the same problem, I asked baker months ago, uhhh I never bothered to pursue it..
                              I just alt tab if and when I use darkplaces.

also if you are modding (or have windows open for any reason really)
                              remember you can alt tab, then alt SHIFT tab. so you dont feel like a damned idiot going
                              alt tab....alttab alltttttab altab altab altab altab

I mostly just play in Dquake now.

Oh also uhhhm, I'm probably an idiot for asking this, but in darkplaces on e1m1 theres a crapton of ammo boxes and guns right in front of the elevator...like its a dm level..how would i go about turning that off?
                              Last edited by gnounc; 08-27-2009, 04:12 AM. Reason: alt SHIFT tab
                              Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Working...
                              X