Quake1 on OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake1 on OS X

Sorry guys, I know this must be answered here somewhere but I've been looking so long and just can't find it.

I purchased Quake 1 on cd for the Mac but can't install it because OS X doesn't support "the classic environment."

Did I just waste $35?

Thanks for the help

You did. Im on OS X I'll help you out. Check your PMs.
    SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
    [email protected]
    AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Originally posted by Bojimmany
      Did I just waste $35?
      From a collector point of view, if the box is in mint condition, the ultra rare original Quake game for Mac is worth that money! :drool:

. . .

Actually, you only need to create a Quake folder anywhere on your Mac with a subfolder named ID1 and copy pak0.pak and pak1.pak from inside the CD-Rom > ID1.

Then you need a modern Quake engine for Mac OS X.
      A simple straight forward engine is the fRuitz-oF-doJo UB GLQuake. Get it here.
      If you're not familiar with Quake file routines, this is a good way to start.
      F-o-D package is full of helpful stuff.

If you go for a more sophisticated -awsome- engine, supporting a lot of custom tweaks such as DarkPlaces, the last working build is here (you only need the app inside this package!). This current version is a blast to know what Quake looks like in 2009 - It supports hi-res textures, models and UI assets...

Anyway, grab the engine of your choice, stick it inside the Quake folder (not ID1!) and launch the game!

Note:

- Be aware, the levels in original paks are not re-vised for transparent water in OpenGL. (Read here about transparent water in Quake).
      - More Mac Quake engines for OS X are listed in this thread fyi.
      - Currently Fruitz-Of-Dojo package includes a simple but effective vis tool to patch the levels for transparent water but you need also the vis data files.
      In this cas G00gl3 is your friend but your can get them here

Comment

Bootcamp -> Windows XP -> Play teh Game!

I know when I worked for a school system around here, the machines with OS X could boot into OS 9. I guess you could always try that.
        PanterA-RuM - chase_active 1 - Panix!

Comment

Hi Dreadful - Could you give me some Mac help too please? Im on OSX 10.5.7 and want to LAN multiplay between my other macs and a XP machine - Cheers Terry

Comment

Working...
          X