hi newb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi newb help

hi, im new to this game and read the forums but am still confused about a couple of things,
    i wanted to figure it out myself but had to register because it confuses me too much.

i got quake and winquake installed, i cant run the original quake.exe because if i read it right on this forums somewhere its because i have windows xp.
    i also have winquake installed but that doesnt allow me to play online wich als had a reason i dont remember anymore on this forum.
    i downloaded joequake and installed it in my quake folder, i just treyed it and was able to play online on bigfoot.quake1.net although it gives me the error "couldnt load autoexec.cfg" wich is ?obviously? nowhere to be found on my harddrive.
    i also wanted to install proquake but this gives me a very weird error.

i didnt proceed with installing because there are many thing confusing to me.
    i selected the quake folder wich is located C:\Program Files (x86)\QUAKE
    also treyed the joequake folder wich is underneath quake like this \QUAKE\joequake exept the .exe files.

it seems now it installs fine (copied the joequake.exe into the joequake folder)
    only if i start glpro.exe i get all white textures (exept the menu)
    (got the lates version 3.5

i treyed copieing pak0.pk3 and pak1.pk3 from id folder to my main folder but with no avail.
    dont understand much of this.

(my system is
    -pentium 4 3.2 Ghz dual core
    -4 gb ram
    -nvidia 9800xt
    -8TB hd
    -windows pro 64 bit
    )
    Last edited by newb101; 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM.

Originally posted by newb101 View Post
    hi, im new to this game and read the forums but am still confused about a couple of things,
    i wanted to figure it out myself but had to register because it confuses me too much.

i got quake and winquake installed, i cant run the original quake.exe because if i read it right on this forums somewhere its because i have windows xp.
    i also have winquake installed but that doesnt allow me to play online wich als had a reason i dont remember anymore on this forum.
    i downloaded joequake and installed it in my quake folder, i just treyed it and was able to play online on bigfoot.quake1.net although it gives me the error "couldnt load autoexec.cfg" wich is ?obviously? nowhere to be found on my harddrive.
    i also wanted to install proquake but this gives me a very weird error.

i didnt proceed with installing because there are many thing confusing to me.
    i selected the quake folder wich is located C:\Program Files (x86)\QUAKE
    also treyed the joequake folder wich is underneath quake like this \QUAKE\joequake exept the .exe files.

it seems now it installs fine (copied the joequake.exe into the joequake folder)
    only if i start glpro.exe i get all white textures (exept the menu)
    (got the lates version 3.5

i treyed copieing pak0.pk3 and pak1.pk3 from id folder to my main folder but with no avail.
    dont understand much of this.

(my system is
    -pentium 4 3.2 Ghz dual core
    -4 gb ram
    -nvidia 9800xt
    -8TB hd
    -windows pro 64 bit
    )
    ProQuake 3.50 is really old and crusty.

Operating on the assumption that you own Quake, I'd recommend downloading [url=http://www.quakeone.com/qrack]Qrack or ProQuake 4 (both have far less system issues than PQ 3.50) and then you unzip it into your Quake folder and double click it.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

thanks!
      i read this proquake4 page early but didnt noticed i installed the older version,
      also whats the most played quake 1 version? or are the are all compatible when playing on a server?

Comment

At the bigfoot server is it probably half and half ProQuake and Qrack usage.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

oke thanks for the answer! it seems quake1 is alot of nice poeple, played on the bigfoot server yesterday and had alot of fun.

also gonna follow you modding 101 tutorial soon, seems modding is relative simply in quake1, only need to export seperate 3ds frames and load into .mdl to make a weapon animation.
          cool!
          Last edited by newb101; 10-16-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

well, maybe not THAT simple but close

Comment

Originally posted by newb101 View Post
              oke thanks for the answer! it seems quake1 is alot of nice poeple, played on the bigfoot server yesterday and had alot of fun.
              The European NQ guys are incredibly nice guys.

I enjoy playing there occasionally even with a bad ping just because I enjoy their company.

Comment

Working...
              X