Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quake map size limit?

hey, whats the limit in quake? I need it to use in terrain generator

Plenty of size limits, but the one I think you need to pay attention to is the +/- 4096 units in any direction limit. Some engines extend this, but it needs a new protocol.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

how to use a terrain generator though biodude? i never figured it out

Comment

terrain gen is very easy and awesome to use. wait, does that mean I dont know anything XD

I have another problem, i compiled a map and when I play on it, it looks like the whole thing is glitched, then I walk tword the glitched area, and it renders it. help?

Comment

screenshot?

Comment

What client?

Some clients have a r_farclip cvar -> set to some huge value like 16384 so that stuff will always get drawn no matter how far away.. (unless your map exceeds the size limit for normal quake net-protocol)

Another possibility could be a vis error -> see Bengt Jardrup's tooltips

Also, use gl_clear 1 so you can see more clearly where the error is.. (this will fill the backbuffer with a solid color every frame, so any spots in the map that fail to render properly will have this color)

Comment

im using fte

it doesnt exceed quake 1 limits

without gl_clear:

Last edited by Biodude; 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Peg is right in that there is a distance limit variable, but there is also a limit on the number of planes/textures to be rendered each frame. I don't know about FTE, but I think the average client won't let you change it. I would recommend trying Dark Places... or perhaps aguirRe's client.

Comment

Quake Engine limites are listen in aguirRe's GL engine at the end of the txt file companion (check here: The Homepage of Bengt Jardrup )

Regarding the issue in your map: it is named HOM (Hall Of Mirrors). It means either your map is not sealed, or that you have a massive glitch/leak where you have the red area. Please have a look at http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/tooltips.txt in order to solve you issue.

Overall it has nothing to do with the engine, rather with the map, not to say the mapper
                  What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Hmm, I didn't think to ask if this was a sealed and vis'd map. Doing both will severely reduce the amount of planes and such to be rendered, but it still might have too many due to the terrain.

Comment

Yeah by the looks of it, your terrain has just way too many surfaces.. you may wanna use a larger triangle size or replace pieces where all the triangles are in the same plane by a regular brush that covers that piece..

Comment

put some walls and rooms in so it cuts up the place and that dosent happen

..maybe?

Comment

the map is a wasteland for the fallout mod

Comment

Working...
                          X