Mouse settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse settings

I just got a new Razer Diamondback mouse. It's the first good mouse I've had--before this, it's just been whatever piece of crap happens to come with my system. When I first played quake with the new mouse, it felt a little weird, so I did some research. First, I tried adding the -dinput command line option. That ended up doing some very weird things, so I got rid of that and put in the following 3 options: -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd
    That made it feel a lot better. Can someone explain what those commands do? Does anyone know why my mouse felt weird at first? Any other tips for optimizing? Thanks. I'm using glpro 3.50 btw.

What do you mean by "weird"? It should have been faster—a lot faster. Turn your sensitivity down until it's where you had it before
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

you should also try getting a flat black mousepad. when i switched to a decent mouse, i was still a bit inconsistant until i tried black mousepad. i believe multi-colored mousepads mess up the tracking on the lazers a bit due to variances in light reflection off the surface.

Comment

Those 3 options basically make your mouse behave the same way in Quake as it does in your OS, with the acceleration and speed settings you're probably used to. You really only need "-noforcemparms" on it's own as it will set the other 2 for you.

DirectInput probably felt weird to you as it bypasses the settings in your mouse control panel and just uses raw data. It also has greater resolution in the horizontal plane than in the vertical, so that horizontal movements are faster. Finally it buffers up commands in the background and feeds the full set to Quake when requested, rather than just giving the current state, meaning that it's more or less framerate-independent. Some players prefer it for these reasons, but in your case I'm willing to bet that your new mouse is feeding commands a lot faster than Quake's DI implementation can handle and it's command buffer is overflowing.

Combination of those, I reckon.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Huh,
          I don't worry bout all that stuff....

Comment

Anyone out there that uses direct input have issues with Windows 7? Seems like it doesn't work in win 7. I have to boot to xp to play quake.

Comment

I've disabled it with noforcemparms and the mouse feels normal. I even made a new cvar called m_noforcemparms...
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

thanks for the explanations homies

Comment

Hm... I looked up the DPI on my mouse and some say it's 800, some say it's 1000. Logitech LX8 wireless laser.
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X