Dark Places Issues :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Places Issues :/

Hey Guys, I am growing frustrated with trying to make this work. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I have a HUGE quake folder that was made 5 plus years ago i have about 6-7 .Pak files in my ID1 folder.

2) i installed DP to c:\quake\DP.
    3) Created a shortcut pointing to C:\Quake\DP\Darkplaces.exe

When i run DP it WILL run but it starts up watching a demo of a game 1v1 on map DM2, not sure if thats normal? Also it looks like regular proquake/qrack, etc. It doesnt look that good, im convinced that there is something missing. I even have that retxture pak downloaded from that one website.

So i tried following the directions instead...

1) Made a brand new Quake Dir, copied ID1 folder to c:\quake2\ID
    2) Installed DP to c:\quake2\DP
    3) Deleted all of the extra paks except pak 0 and pak 1.

When i run Darkplaces.exe it starts with a black screen and says "You have reached htis menu due to missing or unlocatable data" Open console or Quit.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Maybe your pak0.pak and pak1.pak files aren't complete? You could download them as they should be with that link.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

you should move the .exe to your c:\quake2 folder instead of c:\quake2\DP

(or start it with -basedir c:\quake2 in command line from where it is now..)

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
        you should move the .exe to your c:\quake2 folder instead of c:\quake2\DP

(or start it with -basedir c:\quake2 in command line from where it is now..)
        That, basically.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

ok that got it working. --- Thank you very much guys for the help.

Now on to the next problem. To me, The graphics dont look that amazing. Maybe coming from Qrack, there isnt that big of a difference. The lighting is def better and the ability to change the LG gun stream is cool too. However, are there better texures/models?

I seem to get lost looking for the best models/textures. There seems to be tons to choose from.

All i want is the absolute best skins/textures/models available for quake today. I want to see the best possible quake graphics. Can someone post the link to the best ones?

Thanks again!

Comment

The Quake Reforged Tech Guide has pretty much all the info you need..
            I'd go for Rygel's Ultra pack for the world textures (huge download tho)

Comment

ok i downloaded the Rygel's ultra pack last night. That was huge...

I will play with it tonight, one question i have before trying it, does this just update the textures of the maps/walls/ground? Does this also include retexturing of the weapons/player models? What about the 24 Bit skins ive read about for the player models?

thanks peg for all of the help!

Comment

omg... no wonder people dont try other things other than the EZ clients... this is so not self explanatory and the "Help Guides" are not helpfull at all. I mean really why is this so difficult? I want to try 1 client with New textures. I guess once i figure this out i will write an in depth step by motherfucking step detailed how to, to make dark places run and how to make it run with new textures, etc.

Ok... i downloaded the rygel ultra textures. It comes in 3 RAR downloads. 1, 2, 3. When you unpack them they are all named the same... yadayada.PK3

I renamed them to Pak0.PK3, Pak1.PK3, Pak2.PK3 and moved them to my C:\Quake2\ID1 Directory.

Now i have these in my directory:

Pak0.PAK
                Pak1.PAK
                Pak0.PK3
                Pak1.PK3
                Pak2.PK3

Dark Places opens but still looks the same. It does say that it loads all 5 of those pakfiles succesfully. Scrolling up through the console it says these errors about a hundred times after that though:

Couldnt load XXXXXX.PNG

Then another Hundred times:

Couldnt load XXXXXX.JPG
                You need the ZLIB .DLL to load compressed files
                Couldnt load XXXXXX.MDL
                You need the ZLIB .DLL to load compressed files...

To stop the confusion here is the scenario:

I have a Quake folder C:\Quake2.
                I have Darkplaces installed @ C:\Quake2\DP
                I have the original pak0 and pak1 files in c:\Quake2\ID1
                DarkPlaces works fine, i can play the client.
                Now i downloaded this Rygel Ultra pack, what am i suppose to do with these 3 pk3 files.

Thank you,

Comment

sounds like you need zlib.dll, do you have that, and if so do you have it in the same spot next to darkplaces?

Comment

Sounds to me like you're making things difficult for yourself by the way you're setting things up. Everything is really designed to work as-is without any changes needed, so here we go:
                    • Quake in C:\Quake2 (or wherever)
                    • Rygel texturepacks in the ID1 subfolder, no need to rename them or anything
                    • No need for a "DP" gamedir or anything like that, just put them all in ID1
                    • Darkplaces comes with all the DLLs needed, so unzip the full download to C:\Quake2
                    • Run and marvel at the slow load times and lousy performance (joke).
                    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mquake,

Those rygel ultra packs are broken up into 3 separate downloads. When you unpack them out of the rar, they have the same name so you cant put all 3 into 1 folder or it wants to overwrite... so thats why i renamed them...

I will try without the DP folder..

thanks for the continued help though

Comment

ok got it working, that was it. I didnt need the DP folder that was screwing things up. I just took everything from c:\quake2\DP and put it in C:\quake2..

Ok thanks for the help!

Do you know of anyone that has some saved custom settings? There are soooo many visual settings and i spent about the last hour playing with the. I can make everything look good except the water is purple and outside or anywhere where there is sky lighting, its extremely bright to the point that everything is bathed in white light and you can barely see..... If i turn brightness and stuff down then inside its very very dark...

Comment

sounds interesting, screen shots?

Comment

i will post some tonight of my dilemma. i set everything back to default but it seems to make things worse.. I am just trying to get the absolute best looking graphics to record some demos/movies for a project im working on.

thanks again metchsteekle.

Comment

Working...
                            X