Qrack on Windows 7 (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qrack on Windows 7 (again)

Hey all, brand new here after a conversation on how awesome Quake was back in the day.

I am having a W LoadWadFile : couldn't load gfx.wad problem. The fixes in the wiki post are not working (not sure how to do the batch file one). Running in Windows XP SP3 and SP2 compatability don't seem to help.

When I try to run Quake without Qrack or anything changed on a fresh install. It will start up and immediately crash. No error or anything, just a quick flash of a screen that has Quake on it and it's gone.

Any ideas? I have exhausted the search function of the forums and all similar error fixes don't seem to work. I am fairly new to all of this and it could just be my ignorance on the subject.

The W_LoadWadFile error means that you have the QRack exe in the wrong folder. Ensure that it's set up so that it looks like the attached.
    Attached Files
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Not sure if it matters but i have glQrack and yours is GLQuake

It is in C:\Quake directory with all the files it came with. Also I am seeing files listed in yours that I don't see in mine

Maybe I am doing something wrong from the start? Could you maybe tell me a quick step by step of what it would take to get it all running? Like should it be something like this:

Install Quake
      Extract Qrack files to where I installed Quake at
      Ensure it looks like your pictures
      Success?

Comment

Make sure the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files are located in the id1 folder. That's where its looking for those wad files.

Comment

original quake install...

c:\quake\id1
          pak0.pak
          pak1.pak

then unzip qrack

c:\quake\
          glQrack.exe
          etc...

the unzip will create this

c:\quake\Qrack\
          pak0.pak
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Ok that seems to be what I am doing. Just to be clear, the pak files should be from the original install?

Also with that all sorted, I for some reason can't get quake to run even without qrack. It will go to a full black screen and then error out. When I run in win xp sp2 or sp3 compatibility is not a fix so far.

Thanks for help so far, usually not this retarded.

Comment

Did you have Quake installed and working first?
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

It sounds like you're trying to use DOSQuake which flat out won't work on NT4, 2000, XP, Vista or 7. If the executable is called "quake.exe" it's DOSQuake so don't even bother trying.

First things first is to get regular ID Quake working. There's no point in even trying any other engine if you can't get that. I recommend downloading WinQuake from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/wq100.zip for this stage. This is just a testing stage, I'm not suggesting that you use WinQuake full-time here. I'm advising WinQuake by the way so that we don't run into issues with misbehaving OpenGL drivers and so on.

You should have a C:\Quake folder, and in that WinQuake.exe and a subfolder called ID1. Ignore all the other files that come in the wq100.zip package for now. In the ID1 subfolder you should have two files - PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK (if you don't have PAK1.PAK don't worry, you just have shareware Quake installed but the steps are the same).

Run WinQuake.exe: it works perfectly fine on Windows 7, with or without Aero, and without needing any compatibility settings, although the colours may get messed up a bit in some fullscreen modes. Don't worry about that, all we're doing here is confirming that you can run Quake without getting any error messages.

Once you get to there come back for the next steps.
                IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Will do. At work - will edit this post when I have done what you recommended.

Comment

Installed and ran WinQuake. Everything ran fine, was able to play the game.

What is the next step? Sorry it took so long.

Comment

Did you get another opengl Quake client working, aside from winquake?

If yes, then I don't know the answer.

If no, and if you have an ATI radeon card, try other drivers. Several ATI users have complained about issues with opengl quake.

Comment

fok windows 7, the gfx wad thing might have to do with a .dll file,
                        i remember i had to move some dll file to get gl quake to work,
                        you might want to use proquake , but proquake is for elite players

Comment

Ok everything is running now. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                          X