any engines support zip files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any engines support zip files?

I was wondering if any of the current engine support loading mods from an archive file like zip or rar format instead of having to unzip the mods into a folder? Just looking to save some space on my computer.

extremely doubtful

edit: \/ what he said
    Last edited by spooker; 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

DarkPlaces supports pk3. pk3 is the same thing as a zip file. You still have to make a subfolder, but you can put all the mod files in a pk3 using Pakscape.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

DirectQ supports ZIP directly, as well as PK3 and PAK.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

DirectQ supports ZIP directly, as well as PK3 and PAK.
          so, when I download a mod or level pack, I don't have to unzip it and just run directq -game nameofmod.zip?

Comment

Probably not, the zip would need to have the files in its root and be placed in moddirectory/ (like pk3 and pak usually work) I suppose.

Let me shamelessly promote the Quake Injector
            It is focused on singleplayer maps and some mods.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Legend View Post
              so, when I download a mod or level pack, I don't have to unzip it and just run directq -game nameofmod.zip?
              No, unfortunately (it's a great idea though and one I should have thought of). You do need a gamedir, which can contain zip files. Whether or not a zip file will work depends entirely on the internal folder layout. If a zip file has maps, progs, gfx, etc directly inside it, then it will work. If it has a top-level folder containing those it won't.

Just like a PAK in other words, but using zip instead.
              Last edited by MH; 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

so, if I want to play the hipnotic mission pack, I have to zip all the files into the root directory of the zip so if I was going to unzip it they would all be right there when I open it up instead of being inside its own folder when I open it?

That zip file has to be in it's own folder called hipnotic and I would use directQ -game hipnotic? Did I get that right?

Or do all the zip files need to be in one specific folder?

I can't seem to find much documentation for your engine that covers this subject or the one in my other post about music support. Am I just missing it or is it not up yet?
                Last edited by Legend; 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

so, if I want to play the hipnotic mission pack, I have to zip all the files into the root directory of the zip so if I was going to unzip it they would all be right there when I open it up instead of being inside its own folder when I open it?

That zip file has to be in it's own folder called hipnotic and I would use directQ -game hipnotic? Did I get that right?
                  That sounds roundabout right. Be aware that save games and screenshots will need to go directly into the filesystem though - this is a compatibility thing that I don't really want to break.

I can't seem to find much documentation for your engine that covers this subject or the one in my other post about music support. Am I just missing it or is it not up yet?
                  These are generally not documented. Previous experience is that most people don't actually read documentation (or even readme files for that matter) so I kinda gave up.

Comment

Be aware that save games and screenshots will need to go directly into the filesystem though - this is a compatibility thing that I don't really want to break.
                    You mean they will go directly into my c:\quake folder? Does that mean I might accidentally sve over a save game in a different mod?

Do I have to specify where the save files should be stored? Where would I do that? In the cfg file?

What would the command be where it says where to put the save file?

Also, will this work in adding the music files to the mod as well by adding a "music" folder with the mp3's in the zip file with the other files for the hipnotic pack for example?

Comment

MH, your gonna ned a bigger readme (boat)

Comment

I just can't seem to get this to work.

Comment

It's all useful info to know. Seeing specific stuff like this that causes problems lets me be aware of areas where I need to address basic usability issues.

Anyway, I'm a little busy at the moment but I'll take the time later on to go through these points.

Comment

OK, hoping to cut through the confusion here. So far as DirectQ is concerned you can treat a ZIP file exactly the same way as you treat a PAK file. Put it in the same location, everything. No difference (aside from it will be much smaller).

Comment

here's what I tried.

First, I tried zipping the entire folder and making all the files inside in the root of the zip file except for the files that need their own folder within the main mod folder. Didn't work.

Then I tried to just zip the pak file within the folder and leaving it in the mod folder. Still doesn't work.

I'm using alk15 (brumal quest) as the mod to try this out on. So far no luck. Am I doing it right? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X