Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake sound mess

Hi!
    I'm new here so I don't know whether there is a post discussing about this problem.
    I've recently came back up with Quake, though I was a regular player a long long ago.
    My problem is that I partly have any sound in the game.
    Regardless of the version or clients this problem stands.
    I'm currently using FuhQuake with DirectTonik.
    Sometimes I do have sound normally, all effects etc. jumps,shoots,explosions can be heard, but all the sounds go quiet after some time, but again it gets fixed and I have sound for a short time. So it's a kind of jumping thing, sound,nosound,sound again nosound. I tried playing Quake with no other programs running, but it is still crap so I can't think of anything causing this thing.
    Config:
    FuhQuake with DirectTonik on Windows XP (SP3)
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6 Ghz (single-core)
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card
    Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] sound card

My hope lies in you.

First step is to try running with -wavonly and see if that resolves it. Quake's DirectSound code is Not Right - it's very agressive with the sound hardware, in that it requires exclusive access to the hardware and tries to write directly to the primary buffer (which is the sound equivalent of drawing to the front buffer), and may therefore cause problems. It's also using a version of DirectSound that's well out of date.

My own engine (links in my sig) isn't QuakeWorld, which I guess you want, but can be used for testing. It's DirectSound 8 and plays much nicer and fairer with the sound hardware.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I have checked the pages in your signature before, but the thing I miss is a guide. Ok, I download some packs and installs, but in most of the cases there isn't even a readme which tells me what to copy where.
      If you gave me a guide in which you explain the things step by step I would be really thankful.
      I ask for this because I played Quake a long ago and I haven't yet heard about these compiles and remakes and just don't know what to do with them

Comment

Copy DirectQ.exe into C:\Quake (or wherever you have it installed to) and that's all you need. No other files or packs required.

Comment

This is just awesome.
          Thank you.
          I tried to connect to bigfoot.quake1.net, I get connected but it gets an error and Quake exits.

AppName: directq.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: directq.exe
          ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000070b9

Made a clean install of Quake + DirectQ. I just can't think about anything that can cause this problem.
          Problem stands only for that server, others are working fine.

The sound mess problem is still active, online and offline too.
          Last edited by n3r00b; 02-12-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

There's a known bug where it crashes if you don't have the map that's running on the server. That's my guess.

It's academic anyway as it doesn't resolve your sound bug. Let's see... did you try -wavonly in another engine? Updating your sound card driver might be another option.

A third possibility is that you're running another app that's interfering with the sound hardware somehow.

Comment

Yes the crash is now solved.
              I got a bunch of maps and it is ok.

I haven't yet installed another engine, I'll try to mess with some clean installs. Only the paks and the engine.

When I ran Quake only by itself the problem was standing so the source cannot be another program.

Comment

Make sure you don't have msn or whatever IM client running... they tend to steal focus and could be whats messing your sound up..

Comment

Working...
                X