Need the original Quake; Vista 64 says no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need the original Quake; Vista 64 says no

Hey I realise people have posted a lot about problems with Vista 64 but I'm not really getting over the first hurdle:

I can't run any install files from my original Quake disk (apparently incompatible with a 64-bit operating system) and it seems I need to be able to install that before I can use any modern clients such as Pro Quake or QRack. I heard some mention of a few .pak files but I don't have any such files on my disc.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help - Lloydy

Originally posted by Lloydy View Post
    Hey I realise people have posted a lot about problems with Vista 64 but I'm not really getting over the first hurdle:

I can't run any install files from my original Quake disk (apparently incompatible with a 64-bit operating system) and it seems I need to be able to install that before I can use any modern clients such as Pro Quake or QRack. I heard some mention of a few .pak files but I don't have any such files on my disc.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help - Lloydy
    ...you can try to dl it from a torrent site, careful with that tho.

Comment

Theres an archived file in the download section here:
      *link removed*
      Last edited by Solecord; 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you both! That was fast. Efess that worked beautifully. I'll just play around with this now; I love the original grainy textures and don't really need to run the GL for now.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Interestingly though, when I try to install Mission Pack 1 (haven't tried 2 yet) I'm getting the 64-bit incompatability now. Same as the guy in this thread: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ion+pack+vista

Comment

You can always try using the dos installation called "DEICE". You run that by running "install.bat". This is nothing more than an file unpacking tool. Sometimes, though, when the files are unpacked, it will automatically load the game.

But, just go ahead and run install.bat(Preferably through the command line prompt) and you can get the files you need from your own disk

And, if I'm not mistaken, the expansion pak files you need are in the folders "hipnotic" and "rouge" on their cd respectively.

Comment

The "install.bat" file will always automatically launch Quake.exe, which is DOS Quake. Standard procedure for me is to copy the files from CD to HD, then edit install.bat to remove the offending line.

I don't know if deice.exe is a 16-bit program or not, but I suspect - if it won't work on x64 - that it might be. You might get it working in a DOSBOX session or otherwise - if you have access to a second machine - you might be able to extract it using that. It might even be extractable with 7zip (worth a try at least).

Once you do get it the best thing to do is burn the files to CD and store that with your original Quake CD so that it'll always be there if you ever need it again.
              IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey thanks for your responses. It is indeed as mhquake says. None of these files are compatible with Vista 64. But I'm happy just being able to play the original quake for now. Top quality ; )

Many thanks for everyone's support.

Comment

i dont see what the problem is. if you can play quake on vista theres no reason you cannot play mission pack 1 and 2 as well. you dont need to run any installer to play them.

explore the contents of your mission pack cd's. can you see any .pak files?

your directories should be set up like this

C:\Quake
                  original game contents
                  C:\Quake\ID1\pak0.pak
                  C:\Quake\ID1\pak1.pak
                  mission pack contents
                  C:\Quake\Hipnotic\pak0.pak <~~~~ from the hipnotic CD
                  C:\Quake\Rogue\pak0.pak <~~~~ from the rogue CD

to play mp1 use the "-game hipnotic" command line in your shortcut
                  to play mp2 use the "-game rogue" command line

Comment

Originally posted by ungod View Post
                    to play mp1 use the "-game hipnotic" command line in your shortcut
                    to play mp2 use the "-game rogue" command line
                    No! It's "-hipnotic" and "-rogue" for the missionpacks! There are things hardcoded into the engine that will not work otherwise.
                    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

That should be one of the first things that's fixed in any engine port. It's crazy that there are two incompatible ways of setting a gamedir.
                      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

"You try and live, and god says no"
                        -Monster magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                          No! It's "-hipnotic" and "-rogue" for the missionpacks! There are things hardcoded into the engine that will not work otherwise
                          Like what things? I've been playing the first mission pack and I've seen stuff that I thought wasn't possible to make with the original tools in the game before... Seems to o.k.

Using the original Winquake btw

Comment

The HUD icons for the new weapons will not work correctly and I think the menu neither. Not sure if there is more. Yes, it is silly, they could have simply checked the gamedir name...
                            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                              No! It's "-hipnotic" and "-rogue" for the missionpacks! There are things hardcoded into the engine that will not work otherwise.
                              thanks for the info

Lloydy, did you ever get it to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X