new to nq-- a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to nq-- a few questions

I just recently dl'd qrack and am trying to configure it to look like my qw setup. Do any of the nq clients support fullbright enemy skins? I'm used to my enemies looking full white while my teamies are full red. Also, I'm used to seeing a blue glow around someone that has quad, but when I was playing last night there wasn't any, and I would find out after I was dead. I'm guessing pent would be the same. Are glows a client issue?

Can I change ammo/weapon textures?

Can I have an example of what your teambinds look like?
    Last edited by :fvamp; 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM. Reason: added question re: teamplay binds

Originally posted by :fvamp View Post
    Do any of the nq clients support fullbright enemy skins?
    Fullbright skins are considered a cheat in NQ.

Qrack has the blue Quad glow on certain CTF servers, but generally that is not an original NetQuake feature (but was an original feature in QW) and most servers don't support it.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Powerup glow is done by the mod that runs on the server; RemakeQuake for example does it. You need an engine that supports it - Qrack, Darkplaces.

Original netquake didn't have this; it was added to Quakeworld. Netquake mods have to backport it.

I think you can have client side skin etc. replacements. I'm not sure if there is something like f_modified in Netquake.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thanks for replyin guys. it's funny because when i first started qw, I thought it was weird that people said it was ok to modify enemy skins, but not ok to modify the lightning graphic. So now, between qw, cpm, pk, warsow, and whatever else game i play that has fullbrights, its hard for me to play w/o it. :f

Is it considered cheating to take out the damage flashes when you get hit? Is that even possible in qrack?

Comment

gl_flashblend 0 should stop that ^^^
          "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

most of the texture and model changes in qrack should be vary similar to ezquake, rook has even said they are "sister engines" because they both used the same codebase from qsg, accept instead of a /qw folder its either you put it in /qrack or even /id1

Comment

Ok, i fixed the flash problem, but trying to change the map textures is just making me laugh now. I've been at it for an hour and i can't get it towork. For example, I put dm2 textures into d:\quake\id1\textures\maps\dm2, d:\quake\id1\textures\maps, d:\quake\id1\textures, d:\quake\id1, d:\quake\qrack\textures\maps\dm2, etc.

last few questions I have.. Is there a way to customize the hud and make teh game clock bigger?

What good are the pq_ring, pq_quad, pq_needrox, etc. They seem like they should be useful. How do i use those in team messages?

aalso, how do i put characters and symbols in team messages? i tried typing it out in the console and saving the cfg, but it wouldn't save the alias.

Comment

last few questions I have.. Is there a way to customize the hud and make teh game clock bigger?
                Go to options, video setup, and lower the resolution for the console size.

What good are the pq_ring, pq_quad, pq_needrox, etc. They seem like they should be useful. How do i use those in team messages?
                pq_ring & pq_quad both are the messages recalled when %p is used.
                pq_needrox is called when you have rl, and %r is used.
                Otherwise, if you don't have rl and use %r, pq_needrl will be called.
                So they are basically aliases for %p and %r.
                aalso, how do i put characters and symbols in team messages? i tried typing it out in the console and saving the cfg, but it wouldn't save the alias.
                You can go to Online Quake Name Maker 4 and copy special characters from there.

You can open notepad, then type in your messages and paste the special characters, like:
                say_team "I'm at %l‘";
                say_team "I have %w‘";
                (note the special characters used).
                Then save the file as something.cfg (choose "All files" for file type) in your
                id1 folder.
                Then you can type
                bind somekey "exec something.cfg"
                to use the bind.

Comment

Originally posted by onenter View Post
                  Go to options, video setup, and lower the resolution for the console size.

pq_ring & pq_quad both are the messages recalled when %p is used.
                  pq_needrox is called when you have rl, and %r is used.
                  Otherwise, if you don't have rl and use %r, pq_needrl will be called.
                  So they are basically aliases for %p and %r.

You can go to Online Quake Name Maker 4 and copy special characters from there.

You can open notepad, then type in your messages and paste the special characters, like:
                  say_team "I'm at %l‘";
                  say_team "I have %w‘";
                  (note the special characters used).
                  Then save the file as something.cfg (choose "All files" for file type) in your
                  id1 folder.
                  Then you can type
                  bind somekey "exec something.cfg"
                  to use the bind.
                  Kimp, why do have to ruin games and so on ... when it is clear you could be a valuable member of the Quake community as demonstrated in the above post?
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I didn't like that all the text got bigger when i lowered the console resolution, and the increase in the timer size wasnt very noticeable. I did find pq_printstats and that's big enough but it's in the corner. maybe that can be made moveable in the future. :f

i also tried the name maker but for some reason, when I try to save it in notepad, I have to save it in unicode format and that breaks my whole cfg. what word prog do you guys use to edit your cfg when you enter in the code from the name maker?

Comment

If you're using qrack, there's a name maker built-in. Goto Multiplayer > Setup > Name Maker

Comment

i finally got my team binds working, but it wasn't until after i reset my regional language settings in windows. apparently, japanese characters don't work well with the name maker code. anyway, after messing around with it all, it seems that servers don't like the blue, yellow, and red colored blocks i have in my messages. the triangles work fine though, so that's cool.

one thing i've been wondering these past few days is that when i play locally, the movement is good. it's almost like qw, but not quite. then, when i play online, the movment feels restricted. is this based on server settings or is this how nq is really supposed to be?

Comment

Could be the server settings. All the physics calculations are performed on the server. Speaknow's setting actually allows for easier bunny jumping so I would think it would feel more like QW.

Comment

Isn't fvamp just feeling the lag? Try a european server (if you live in the Americas) for a bit, and see if that's what you're feeling.

Comment

one thing i've been wondering these past few days is that when i play locally, the movement is good. it's almost like qw, but not quite. then, when i play online, the movment feels restricted. is this based on server settings or is this how nq is really supposed to be?
                              Get used to it. ;p

It's based on server settings. Clan Arena and Runequake are what I consider really fast. Now when you switch over to any DM server, it'll feel really restricted.

Comment

Working...
                              X