Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shader GLSL/Default.GLSL

Hello all.
    I reformatted my harddrive last night. before I did that I installed Quake Enhanced and played through severla levels from each quake with no problems. After reformatting my harddrive and getting things set up I decided to just go through the games and get them all setup.
    I got Quake reinstalled and all was well..at first.
    Wether it be Quake or either mission pack it runs fine...except for the black screen. You can see explosions and everything but it stays black. When you actually start the game its black but when you look up everything is cloudy purple..lol. So what happened?
    PC stats
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual Core Processor 4600+
    2.41 GHz 2.00 Gigs of Ram
    Video card is Nvidia GTX 260 with the CURRENT driver which i think is the problem.
    All failures point back to the title of this thread.
    I didnt write them all down but here are some
    Permutation glow failed for shader GLSL/Default.GLSL
    Permutation lightdirection glow failed....etc
    Lightsource diffuse....etc...
    They all point to this one Shader? Whats going on here? I have to head back to work but when I get back i plan on reinstalling the Drivers for the video card to see if that helps. I tried a different game and it worked fine. I also reinstalled Quake enhanced but that didnt solve the issue either and I played it just fine on a different PC in my house with no obvious issues so it has to be the Video card/driver. I LOVED this game so this is gonna drive me nuts!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help with this and apologies if this issue has been addressed elsewhere!

One other thing. How do you get the music to play on the levels? I can live without it for sure but it would be nice to hear it again.

Thanks!

What OS are you on? It definitely looks like the driver, so can you confirm that basic OpenGL works by running regular GLQuake? Also try DirectQ (if you're on Windows) to see if D3D works and confirm my theory that you're using a Microsoft-provided driver that is missing OpenGL support.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Im on Windows Xp. It was a driver from Nvidias website. Sadly im not familiar with the terms D3D or GLquake or DirectQ. Ill have to learn =)

Comment

Ok so I bought the Quake pack from Steam for $30. Quake one works fine. Both expansions...I guess just plain crash every time I try to run them. "Glquake.exe has encountered a problem" is what it says for them. Quake 2 starts to run and just stops cold with no followup lol.

Using the various Icons in the Quake enhanced folder i see a few options
        Double clicking GLquake.exe results in the above expansion errors.
        Double clicking Winquake is a success for Quake one.
        Im going to try Quake 3 though I suspect it uses something other then OpenGL.
        Ive done some basic research on Direct 3d =) sounds like its tied in to DirectX? If I can figure out where Steam put that dang quake folder I will see if DirectQ works.

Interesting Quake 3 worked fine with Default settings but when I tried to put it on a decent resolution, it gave me an error window with GLW_startopenGL_ could not open Gl subsystem.
        Is it possible that they just took support for OpenGL out of the Driver all together? No clue if that makes sense or not.

Ok Quake3 worked fine on all preset resolutions until 1600x 1200 at which point it gave the OpenGL error.

Found out where Steam installed Quake one and DirectQ works fine and it looks gorgeous...but its windowed and awefully tiny.
        The way I interpretted what you said about a Microsoft-provided Driver I took it to mean it didnt know what driver to use and just used a Generic one. Is that what you meant? if so I did in fact download the Driver specifically for the GTX 260 from Nvidia. I never updated the Driver after I installed this Video card I dunno how long ago and again Quake enhanced worked flawlessly. Naturally I cant find the original Driver it came with, so Im stuck with the newest Driver. Not sure what to do but I hope all this babble and research can help us figure out what to do so I can play this game again.

Thanks for your patience!
        Last edited by Dukagora; 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Wow. Well to anyone who owns a GTX 260, Driver 196.21 WHQL at least with my system didnt work properly with regards to Quake related stuff. I have solved the problem by getting an older driver. I use Driver 181.22 WHQL. Works flawlessly. The original Quake and both expansions as well as Quake 2 work fine. Im not trying anything else from confidence in them working and that Ive spent too many hours trying to get it to work and since its working Im happy and can finish setting my stuff up. =)

Comment

Are you Spanish? It's not important, I'm just curious is all (I would be a fellow European, and you sound Spanish to me ).

I'm happy that it's working for you.

Comment

LOL! I have no idea what you mean by that, but Im American lol. My english is good!

Comment

I have no idea what I meant either.

Too much good beer last night.
                Last edited by MH; 03-13-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X