Quake problems: Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 40 bytes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake problems: Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 40 bytes

I found my old install of quake on my old win. 95 in the closet after rummaging through the contents- I lost the cd so the files are all I have. After fiddling with it for a while following various instructions on the internet to add files, alter files and whatnot, I finally got it to work and I can play the game, but online doesn't work. I can join and spectate for a bit but shortly after i get an error box saying: Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 40 bytes

I found a port of q1 for the wii and installed that and used the pak1 and 2 files to unlock it on my wii and I proceeded to attempt to play multiplayer. Again I got the same error about 40 bytes. What is this error about and what can I do about it?

Use -zone 512 or -zone 1024 on the commandline (shortcut)
    example:

glquake.exe -zone 512 -mem 64
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I should really take a look at the Wii source code and talk to the Wii people. I made countless basic stability modifications to ProQuake 3.60 and beyond to avoid countless inconveniences due to silly defaults and the result is essentially a no command line parameters engine that is only a stone-throw away from original Quake, all things being considered.

Gunter got the Wii people to do my NAT-fix tutorial, so apparently they are a receptive group.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

That worked thanks! Can I type this into the command line console on my wii while the game runs to make it work? or does it have to be in launch options? The wii people have left a multitudinous array of bugs (like pointer not working for keyboard after joining a server failed). Thanks for the help!

Also, the source code for quakegx, which is the most advanced port of quake for wii at the moment, can be found here in case you didn't find it already: http://code.google.com/p/quake-gamecube/source/checkout

Also, im having 1 more problem which i think is not worthy of a new thread, because its probably because of some thing I failed to change from default, when I try to go multiplayer for some reason just today it auto assigns self ip to a completely wrong ip-address. The normal local ip address of my computer is 192.168.1.2, but it shows something like 5.135.234.4
        Is there any way i can fix this? This causes quake to never get any response from any server.
        Last edited by Stephen; 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I tried to find out about it by searching, but I can only find fixes for servers that host the game, and I tried one of the solutions to see if it would magically work - I started a SP game and then tried to join MP, It still has INADDR_ANY and when I try to join something it auto assigns in the console it says multiple addresses found and it takes the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            I tried to find out about it by searching, but I can only find fixes for servers that host the game, and I tried one of the solutions to see if it would magically work - I started a SP game and then tried to join MP, It still has INADDR_ANY and when I try to join something it auto assigns in the console it says multiple addresses found and it takes the wrong one.
            Hmmmm ...
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

No ideas how to fix it?

Comment

No ideas how to fix it?
                I looked through a bit of Wii source code.

But I have an important question for you. How do you have 2 ip addresses on a Wii?

Do you have DSL and have the Wii authenticate the username and password and ALSO somehow have a router involved in the setup?

Or do you have 2 routers?

I'm just trying to imagine how you could have 2 ip addresses on a Wii.

Anyway, I suspect you could fix your setup by messing with your internet setup, but putting that aside ...

I'd ask the Wii developers to incorporate this code in net_udp_wii.c.

Code:
                int UDP_Init (void)
                {
                	struct hostent *local;
                	char	buff[MAXHOSTNAMELEN];
                	struct qsockaddr addr;
                	char *colon;
                	int i; // JPG - for checking command line

if (COM_CheckParm ("-noudp"))
                		return -1;

// determine my name & address
                	// JPG - check command line for -ip
                	i = COM_CheckParm ("-ip");
                	if (i)
                	{
                		if (i < com_argc-1)
                		{
                			myAddr = inet_addr(com_argv[i+1]);
                			if (myAddr == INADDR_NONE)
                				Sys_Error ("%s is not a valid IP address", com_argv[i+1]);
                			strcpy(buff, com_argv[i+1]);
                		}
                		else
                			Sys_Error ("NET_Init: you must specify an IP address after -ip");
                	}
                	else
                	{
                		// JPG 3.00 from CSR
                		/*
                		gethostname(buff, MAXHOSTNAMELEN);
                		local = gethostbyname(buff);
                		myAddr = *(int *)local->h_addr_list[0];
                		*/
                		myAddr = INADDR_ANY;
                	}
                Now, I have never used the Wii port of Quake but if they used the above code AND if there is a way to specify a Quake command line in the Wii then in your worst case scenario you could add -ip 192.168.1.2 or -ip 5.135.234.4 and force Wii Quake to use your ip address.

The above code is to support the -ip x.x.x.x command line parameter, which looking through the Wii source code is not currently supported.

Comment

Oh sorry its not my wii, it works fine, its my pc copy because the wii version takes too long to play because theres no map pack download for some servers and no proquake or joequake/whatever on wii means no auto map download which means running the sd card to my printer as a card reader to quickly plop the map on to play until map change.

Anyways, yeah sorry for the misunderstanding its my pc copy that gets the wrong ip address.

Also, I have no idea how theres 2 ip addresses, I use a wifi network from a router connected to my cable modem which is always on.

AHAH! Found it! It was my hamachi network which was causing the extra ip address. I disabled hamachi and it worked perfectly, though it would be nice if proquake added an ip command like what you made over there to just force an ip onto it.
                  Last edited by Stephen; 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

though it would be nice if proquake added an ip command like what you made over there to just force an ip onto it.
                    ProQuake has supported -ip x.x.x.x in the command line since 2002 or before.

Comment

okay now im really confused... i tried -ip 192.168.1.2 and it didn't work earlier, it didn't do anything. Now that i think about it i do remember that it did not say it wasn't a command which is what it usually says if I type something wrong.

Comment

Did you insert that in your command line where you inserted -zone 512 ? (right click shortcut)
                        Originally posted by Baker
                        Why does the biggest cry baby in the forums use an Arnold Schwarzenegger avatar? Arnold never cries like a little girl like how you have cried in every Kimp thread.

Comment

oh i guess that makes sense, i was trying to use it as a command. Oh well its all fixed now.

Comment

Sorry to write back after TEN YEARS! hahahahaha.

Get FritzQuake (latest): sorry, no link. And use the -game .\runes thing to load runequake. Use the -zone 1024 thing, just for good measure because I used that. Anyway, make sure you're using FritzQuake or possibly MarkV (but MarkV isn't working with RuneQuake for me).

Comment

Working...
                            X